LegacyGT.com

Very intermittent puff of white smoke

Hey everyone.

I've noticed that every once in a while, I get a varying sized puff of white smoke, under very specific circumstances. (Car has only done this about 4 times over the past 2ish months) If I drive the car to full operating temps, park somewhere and shut the car off, and come back to it maybe 30(ish) minutes later after it has slightly cooled down, it has spat out a single puff of white/greyish smoke. Only on a semi-warm startup, it has never happened when the car was cold.

I honestly don't know where to start looking for an issue, or if its even something to really worry about with it being so intermittent. Though I've never liked seeing any kind of non-condensation smoke coming from an exhaust, so I am slightly concerned. Will provide a mod list if requested, I'm on mobile currently so it gets tedious typing it all out.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I will try and get a better look at it when it happens again. It does smell of oil, but the times it has happened it looked very much white. As for the cylinders, the motor was built back in January, and has roughly 7,800 miles on it. I would hope the cylinders are okay after such a short time!

Who built it? And what was used. Subaru engines are very finicky and must be put together correctly. Needs an extreme close in spec piston to wall clearance due to the expansion of the pistons when warm. I have put a few together 2 wrx engines and 2 frs engines. You can't just take them to any mechanic they aren't normal putting them together in any way.

Reputable with subarus?

Yes.

I know it's not the best time to point it out, but he built Boxkita's wagon. He does know what he's doing.

OP, hate to say it, but, you might have a ring issue. I take it you have forged internals?

Yes.

I know it's not the best time to point it out, but he built Boxkita's wagon. He does know what he's doing.

OP, hate to say it, but, you might have a ring issue. I take it you have forged internals?

I do. We put Mahles in it. Best way to figure if it's a ring, compression test?

I check my oil level and color each time I get gas, and honestly the car doesn't use nearly as much as the supposed qt every 1500 miles. Bit to be more specific, no, from what I can see, the car does not appear to use more oil than it used to. (I'm sure you did, but I just want to be sure.. You read that this issue has only happened 4 times over the past couple months, and that it's not a regularly occurring issue?)

I check my oil level and color each time I get gas, and honestly the car doesn't use nearly as much as the supposed qt every 1500 miles. Bit to be more specific, no, from what I can see, the car does not appear to use more oil than it used to. (I'm sure you did, but I just want to be sure.. You read that this issue has only happened 4 times over the past couple months, and that it's not a regularly occurring issue?)

As I understand it, some blow-by isn't all that uncommon in built motors. If you're not losing any siginificant amount of oil and it's not happening on a regular basis/constant, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Maybe the oiling ring is shifting somehow when it's warm, causing a little bit of oil to be burned?

As I understand it, some blow-by isn't all that uncommon in built motors. If you're not losing any siginificant amount of oil and it's not happening on a regular basis/constant, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Maybe the oiling ring is shifting somehow when it's warm, causing a little bit of oil to be burned?

That's an interesting idea.. I've heard that with a fried ring, if you pull the dipstick and oil cap, there would be a light "steam" that would come out from the mentioned areas, the idea being that with the oil getting burned from the fried ring, the smoke would be brought back to the case, and it would escape through the open areas, or something similar to that. That being said- so smoke or steam or however you want to describe it.

My car does exactly the same thing, I've got forged JE pistons. It's about as random as it can be, and rarely happens...

I'm interested though to see how this turns out.

I'm headed to outback sometime this week for a compression test and an oil analysis. Will report the findings for both things when I have results. Maybe I make too much power for the setup? Though I don't think John would over-tune a motor he knows everything about, considering he built it.

Archived