LegacyGT.com

Well played Subaru, well played. You've won this round...

IanKen

Well my scheme to swap out the LGT HVAC for the 2.5HVAC has been thwarted by Subaru.

Detail: the defroster is controlled by the "BCM" or "Body Control Module" while the rest of the system is controlled by the hvac module. The kicker here is that the signal for defrost to the BCM for the LGT is digital from the integrated headunit and on the 2.5i it is an analog +12v signal. It could be hacked around with a bit of effort but at point you loose some functionality (the timer goes away) and the cost goes up.

Anyway, there's the final answer on that. At this point it's just not worth the cash to continue the effort here. Chances are I'll just go with a cleansweep and an a digital player of some sort. Or buy a new car. Who knows?

Right now I'm just generally pissed at Subaru. I hate the stock headunit. I don't care how good it sounds with a cleansweep. I tried the cubby setup with my empeg and it was just not durable, partial blame on the empeg guys for their "euro-din" formfactor rather than the industry standard iso-din.

Some may think it silly, but this is the issue that has kept me from buying a new Outback (and the prices at this time of year are quite impressive!). I don't need a new car at this time, so I'll perhaps just wait and see if there is a resolution to this issue (and I don't consider adding a whole bunch of signal processing to "repair" the output of the poor deck to be a solution). At least the current Forester allows a standard stereo to be installed.

Some engineer at Subaru went to a lot of effort to keep me from having an Outback, it seems...

Jason

Archived