LegacyGT.com

Installing new transmission advice

Hi all - A friend of mine needs a new automatic transmission in his '98 Legacy Outback. I haven't done much work on this car (lots more experience with Toyotas and VWs), any one have any thoughts on this job? Any crazy tools or know-how one needs to accomplish it? Figure if I can save my friend a couple thousand in labor that would be nice. I switched out an AT in a '96 Honda Accord many years ago, it was a big job but I got it done. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

i also have more experiance with manual transmissions, but i know when i did my clutch i didnt take the drive shaft pins out. its been a while but i believe i dropped the drive shaft hanger. and that gave me enough slack to pull the whole shaft out of the trans. i couldnt get the pins out. the only downfall is some of the gear oil will drain. also i had to pretty much beat mine off with a hammer and a block of wood. also you may have to take out the top motor mount to let the motor rock back so you can get to all of the bolts. but like i said its been a while since i did one.

Archived