LegacyGT.com

Smell & smoke from rear right of engine

I have an '05 LGT with 96K miles. It has recently started the following problem. On cold or at least chilly mornings, from a cold start, after driving for about 10 minutes and coming to a stop, it smokes rather profusely from under the right side of the engine, at the rear. My guess is that some oil seal, when cold, is leaking onto the exhaust pipe that goes up to the turbocharger. I'm going through a quart of oil every 1500-2000 miles, which is not extreme but significant, and seems to support this hypothesis.

I'm putting the car up on jacks in March or whenever it's warm enough to lie on the garage floor, to do a throw-out bearing and TSK3 (and clutch).

My question is, is this a common/known problem, and is it likely to remain minor for another month or two?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, this is a common problem. It's the right valve cover leaking.

Here's a picture of mine when I had the engine out.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4731.jpg

Lots of great info here, look around.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes, the older these cars get, the more they burn oil. Know fact.

My valve cover started leaking at 114k miles, replaced it, cleaned it, and the smell is gone. Now only if I can get rid of the coolant smell. :lol:

My wife's balls are delicious.

Yes, the older these cars get, the more they burn oil. Know fact.

My valve cover started leaking at 114k miles, replaced it, cleaned it, and the smell is gone. Now only if I can get rid of the coolant smell. :lol:

Coolant smell....check the bottom radiator hose, both ends.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

2 months ago my radiator blow up, spraying coolant all over the engine and undercarage. Replaced the radiator and hoses, stem clean the engine and splash guard, and the smell still comes back. Maybe it may take some time for the rest to burn off.
My wife's balls are delicious.

I've had mine checked because of the same problem and it was the right valve cover leaking. But then for some reason it just stopped leaking but I know eventually it will need to be replaced.

And make sure the power steering pump is not leaking because it can leak into the exhaust and cause smoke and really bad smell.

Axel Boots can cause the same problem as well. If the right one is torn (it happened to me), grease will leak out to the exhaust. I just had mine replaced and the smoke went away.

Archived