LegacyGT.com

Front end clunking

usedtobeaJusty

Just replaced my front struts with Monroe Sensa Trac units. Springs are factory and I re-used the factory strut mounts. Now I'm getting a clunking from the front end at random points. I was barely moving in reverse turning the wheels and got the noise. I get it on the road from time to time. The suspension sounds like it has a rattle to it.

During the install, I had to drop the passenger side swaybar bracket to get enough drop to get the new struts in (the pressurized struts expanded the springs more than the worn out stockers). In doing this, I had some trouble getting the mount back on and the bushing got a little squished. It looks fine now, but perhaps something is off.

Needless to say, not the result I was looking for.

So I'm thinking either strut mounts or something with the sway bar, but I'm leaning towards the strut mounts being the problem. Any thoughts?

FWIW 80k miles on car

I did and I thought of that issue too. I'll double check it again. I had hold the strut rod with my hand to keep it from spinning when I was tightening the nut. So it's probably not as tight as I would like it to be.

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look and let you guys know.

I did use an impact. The Monroe struts I put in actually have an inset allen slot at the top of the strut rod. I went and got a gear wrench today so I could run the allen wrench through the middle of the socket to get it tight. I did have one loose nut and got that tightened up. That actually helped with the rattle.

I still have a very loud clunking at low speeds when I turn the wheels or off camber situations. I'm suspecting the end links in the front. Anyone know what it sounds like when an end link goes?

• 2 weeks later...

looks like it was my end links causing the problem. Just replaced the end links with Katboys (the AVO's were on back order) and put in the poly bushings as well. Seems all good now.

Just as a side note, the Subaru engineers should be required to work on the cars they design AND have to live in the rust belt. Getting the old end links off was way more complicated than it should have been.

I live about 100 ft from the salty Narragansettt Bay, so I put Anti-seize compound on every bolt I undo. I also use a grinder brush on every bolt I take out of my Subaru before I anti-seize them and put them back on. I plan on anti-seizing almost every bolt I can find on my wife's new 2010 Forester XT before winter truly sets in. My 1994 audi has far less rust (nil) on the chassis bolts than my 2006 Subaru LGT, but the Audi never sees snow and salt. Coastal New England is not friendly to the car enthusiast.

Archived