LegacyGT.com

The Official Aftermarket Exhaust Thread

almondcookie

02/13/06:

If you click on any of the links and your browser tells you that the file is missing, hover over the tail end of the link instead. For some reason, some of the link I'm writing down give is being broken up into 2 parts. Not sure what the reason is, i'll post up the problem in the technical forums and maybe the admins can take a look at it. Sorry about that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The purpose of this thread is to consolidate all the various questions, concerns, etc. regarding an aftermarket exhaust for the Legacy. As of this post, you have many options as an owner. Some options are completely legal while others "bend" the rules to your favor.

* Products

- Axle-back (produced)

- Axle-back (custom)

- Cat-back (produced)

- Cat-back (custom)

- Turbo-back (produced)

- Turbo-back (custom)

- other (mix and match, resonator removal, anything else)

You can for a set of Subaru STi axle-back mufflers or a Greddy cat-back or a mix and match system (i.e. cobb-perrin-greddy or a perrin-perrin-bosal or a .. .you get the idea). The choice is up to you.

The most popular concerns I read the most are:

1. sound (no rice please)

2. cost

3. quality

To address each individually, I think the "rice" comes from mostly the muffler choice. I'm no technical engineer with waveform physics equations but that's my guess. I tend to think of Apex'i N1 style mufflers as "harsh" or "brash". With a little more muffle, you can get a nice deep throaty sound. Even with louder muffler choices, I have never come across a subaru that sounded "ricey".

Cost is also a big factor. You can only go as far as your wallet will support. I'm hoping that readers, including you, won't resort to home dryer flex tube, some duct tape and a paper clip. If you sleep on C-bills instead of a mattress and go for the most expensive exhaust - go for it. If you have kids and a mortgage and stuff like that and can only afford a custom setup with no-name parts - nothing wrong with that.

Quality to me is subjective. I find it funny that people admire the welding and how shiney the piping is. It goes under the car where there's dirt and grime and snow (for some people) and mud and rocks and... it's going to get destroyed, dinged, scrapped, etc. As long as it does its job and doesn't break or leak, I'm happy.

An exhaust is harder than say wheels because you can't just take a picture of it. You have to listen to it. So I'll start:

2x Magnaflow #14827

2.5" to custom Y

2.5" to each muffler

All bends are stretch bent

Silencer removed

Total Cost: 400$

Total Time: 3 hrs

Video1 - outside - 15MB (mpeg) : 46s

Right Click Save As:

http://68.55.67.139/legacy/legacy-almondcookie-custom-outside.mpg

- start

- rev to 2k

- rev to 3k

- rev to 5k

- rev to 5k

- rev to 2k

- off

Video2 - inside - 22MB (mpeg) : 1m07s

Right Click Save As:

http://68.55.67.139/legacy/legacy-almondcookie-custom-inside.mpg

- start

- idle

- rev to 2k

- rev to 2k

- ebrake off

- driving out of industrial park

- shift @ 6k

- shift @ 4k

- let the engine wind down

My personal review:

Honestly, I couldn't be happier. I found out that there's 3 types of pipe bender - Mandrel, Stretch and Crush. The place I went to didn't have a mandrel so all my bends are stretch bent - meaning the bends have a slightly smaller diameter. Incidently, the pipe from the cat to the resonator is 2.5". All the piping afterwards is puny.

------------------------------

ADDED 05/24/05 : 10:00AM EST

The stock mufflers are triangular in shape. If you unbend a paperclip into a triangle, that's what you get. All the corners are rounded and all you see is the bottom - the illusion of an oval muffler. I'm not going to lie to you - when you go from completely stock to no resonator and straight through style mufflers, it's going to be loud(er). There's going to be an RPM range or number that it will drone. This has happened to me on all my aftermarket exhausts on all my cars - it'll eventually mellow out so don't worry. I've had my exhaust done for almost 2 months and put 1000+ miles on it and it's much quieter while cruising. You can still here it but it's not as pronounced. If you still want it quieter, then you can ask the exhaust shop or pick a off-the-shelf system that has a resonator or 2. My greddy evo for my prelude had 2.

Finally, because we drive a sedan or a wagon in my case, you still want the sleeper effect - whether against somebody or just to keep yourself under the radar. The only way people know something is "odd" with my car is if I keep the tach up high and don't shift. So if I'm being a doof around a parking lot and keeping it in 1st gear, the tach is probably going to be in the 2-3k range and you'll hear the exhaust/loudness. I actually had that happen at bestbuy, I had the car in 2nd and didn't bother shifting to 3rd and I got a couple funny looks like "why does that car sound like that?". If I drop a gear to pass someone, you'll might hear it (depends on if you have the window open or your music thumping). Any other time, if I drive like a normal person, you'll notice something's different, but you won't be able to figure out what.

Oh and just a side note, I've had 6 people in the car and some where in the trunk and they all said it sounded good and not drone-y at all.

------------------------------

ADDED 05/24/05 : 21:16 EST

http://68.55.67.139/legacy/legacyexhausts.zipZIP Size: 27MB

Includes:

- AVO catback (JDM with equal length header)

- GREDDY/TRUST Evo SP2 catback (USDM)

- GREDDY/TRUST BL Evo (JDM)

- GREDDY/TRUST MX (JDM)

- GREDDY/TRUST Power Extreme (JDM)

- BORLA catback (USDM, part#140123)

- LACHUTE catback (original downpipe)

- STROMUNG catback (USDM)

- JUN catback (JDM)

- HKS Hyper (JDM)

- HKS Wagon (JDM)

- FUJITSUBO Legalis R (JDM)

- CORAZON Super Basic (JDM)

- CORAZON Basic (JDM)

- APEX'I N1 (JDM)

- APEX'I Super Megaphone (JDM)

- ALTIAR Power Screw (JDM)

- CUSTOM setups

http://68.55.67.139/legacy/legacy-meiermotorsports-custom-ontheroad.wav

http://68.55.67.139/legacy/legacy-meiermotorsports-custom-startup.wav

NOTE:

- 3" exhaust from the cat

- custom y pipe

- 3" pipes to mufflers

- 2x Moroso Spiral Flow Mufflers

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?CatCode=35001

http://68.55.67.139/legacy/legacy-scans007-custom-incar.avi

http://68.55.67.139/legacy/legacy-scans007-custom-startup.avi

NOTE:

- 3" exhaust from the cat

- custom y pipe

- 3" pipes to mufflers

- 2x IMCO single chamber muffler

- $300

http://68.55.67.139/legacy/legacy-tronix-custom-outside.wmv

NOTE:

- resonator removed

- 2x magnaflow mufflers with stock tips re-welded on the end

- justmagnaflow.com part#:CARS14614

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it wouldn't hurt to sticky it for the time being.

almondcookie, very nice exhaust! Sounds very good. I loved the videos. How did you mount your camera on the inside?

Also, can someone please do me a biiiiiig favor and record the stock exhaust the way almondcookie did? :p Mucho thanks to whoever does it.

-ben

Oh man, you really want to know how I mounted the camera .. Haha.. Are you ready for this?

The video was shot with a sony digital camcorder (palm/mini style). It destroys batteries and the media only lasts for an hour. =(. I have an old Nikon tripod from back in the day. At zero extension, I mounted the camera on top.

For a reference for all you folks that want to make your own exhaust videos: park the car in an open area (no echo effects or soundwaves bouncing off walls or cars) and walk 3 paces behind the car and then 3 paces left (or right depending on which side you're on). That's the actual distance the camera was. The rest was courtesy of the zoom.

For the inside shot, I wanted an "unbiased" position - not just at the driver seat but what everyone might hear so dead center was my choice. I also wanted to shoot forward so that if I drove around, you would see the road. I narrowed the view because I wanted to show you the road and let your hear the audio ... You really don't want to watch the back of my head or how I shift. =).

With the camcorder on the tripod, I have 2 legs at 1/2 extension and 1 leg at almost full extension. Wedge the "long" leg on the tranny hump and the center console, right below the cup holders. The tripod will tilt back and you'll most likely be viewing the roof. You want to use the side legs more for stability and not level adjustment. I tilted the camera view level with the tripod neck adjustment. And for added "stability" I wrapped the left rear passenger seatbelt around the tripod and buckled it in to the right seat buckle and did the same with the right into the left. So side-to-side motion was zero (2 side legs and 2 seatbelts) and forward-to-back motion was zero (2 seatbelts, angled back tripod and front leg as a catch). I narrowed the view so that it just missed right shoulder and was high enough to see out the front window.

Hope that helps you aspiring automotive videographers.

Incidently, my exhaust only gurgles at idle when I rev the engine like that. It doesn't do that in motion or at a stoplight or normal operation.

I'd like to see a comprehensive list of exhausts as well - those in in the works as well as what is already in production. for example:

COBB

turbo back N/A (due this summer)

catback N/A (due this summer)

axle back N/A (due this summer)

PRODRIVE

turboback ?

catback N/A (due this summer)

axle back N/A (due this summer)

STROMUNG

turboback N/A

catback available now

axle back ??

AVO

turboback available now

catback available now

axle back available now

BLITZ

Nur Spec R

axle back available now

Nur Spec Touring

axle back available now

BORLA

turboback N/A

catback available now

axle back available now

LACHUTE

turbo back available now

catback available now

axle back available now

BOSAL/SPT

turbo back (due this summer)

catback (due this summer)

axle back (due this summer)?

GREDDY

EVO2

turbo back N/A

catback available now (WAGON only)

axle back N/A

SP2

turbo back N/A

catback available now (WAGON only)

axle back N/A

FUJITSUBO

turboback ??

catback available now

axleback ??

SCOOBYSPORT

axle back (still a prototype)

What else is out there or that we know is coming???

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Isn't the Bosal catback and axle-back both out? Well, maybe they're "out" but not for sale. I talked to the reps at the SEMA show and they said that the legacy that was there had a catback I believe. As for the other exhausts that you've listed, I'll scour the forums to see who else has posted their exhaust clips and put them on my server.

Sandwood: Once I download the clips, I'll PM you the url so you can update your post with the appropriate links.

I think the bosal is not available yet - if you can find it for sale somewhere, let me know. I was under the impression that rally performance's scooby sport mufflers were still a prototype. almondcookie - PM me anytime for updates.

To add more, for those people that want to compare stock vs X - uh...just go outside and get in your sedan or wagon and turn it on. (?). When you read reviews about "the legacy is a quiet and refined ride." They weren't kidding. When I bought my car and didn't have the radio on, all I hear was dead silence - to me, that's really freaky. I have no idea why. Maybe it's that car communicating to the driver mentality. The engine was so quiet, the road noise was almost nothing, what exhaust noise...it's like someone boxed you up in a coffin. >_<.

When more people contribute videos or mp3 recordings then other people can pick and choose which one they like more. Which brings up the next point - cost.

Sure there's people here that might get "a deal" or find a "hookup from a friend" but the average joe i.e. mostly everyone else, has to pay the man. So if you like Greddy for whatever reason (past experience, or you like the audio/video you downloaded) then do your homework and find out the cheapest place to get it. If you later find out .. "well forget that, I'm not paying $2500 for a catback" then don't pay for it. You don't have to harp about it or give us your sob story. That's the price they've set and that's the bottom line. Get what your wallet can get. So maybe instead of Greddy you download a custom audio/video because you're disgusted about the pricing. Maybe after downloading a second choice you're thinking .. "wow, it almost sounds the same AND this person only paid X". If going custom will give you the same happiness level and you won't have any regrets not getting the Greddy .. Go for it.

That's the reason why I purposely didn't mention any prices or post any videos of a stock system. But if someone does post a stock system, I won't discriminate ...I'll post it as well.

Ok, I decided instead of linking each individual wav/mp3 file of every exhaust, I zipped them all up instead for your viewing and listening enjoyment. Also, you guys are killing my connection =) ...ya leeches! It's ok.

I scoured the entire forum and found 500+ posts about exhausts. Most of them were questions while some had pictures. Only a few had actual sound clips attached. So I've downloaded what I found and I've edited my first post and listed all the files you will get when you download the zip file. As more people get more kits, I'll either add to the zip file or add another zip file.

Enjoy.

OMG....

If I knew how to give rep-points here, I would so give you some...... :woowoo:

THANK YOU.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Very nice....Thanks!!

Request for any who post sound clips. PLEASE provide a steady state sound in additon to just revving...say around 4K RPM. And don't get too close as it's hard to judge the volume. Ok...I'll stop whining...:p

I'll let you know about the SP2 in a week or so. The sound clip I heard sounded nice....but you know how that goes. I'm hopeing it's fairly loud. Stock is way to muffled; And I'm not young, and neither is my wife.

YBNormal07: I'll see what I can do these coming weekends. I updated XP at home and hey.. surprise surprise .. it's now slower and crashes more than before. Thanks mr. gates!

Apparently, for you budget minded folks. A buddy of mine came across another company that makes a full catback system for the legacy. I believe the name is called Vibrant Exhaust or Vibrant Performance. He was in a rush so he said it would cost something like 4-5-600 installed.

woohoo on my way back to stickiness. thanks.

I believe the EVO2 is supposed to be somewhat louder. The muffler size and tip style is different, as pictures show. If you don't want 4" tips, you don't want either of these exhausts.

Which exhaust is louder the Greddy EVO2 or SP2? Whats the difference? I'm having a hard time deciding what to get. I like the way the Stromung sounded but i don't want 4 tips

Comcast sucks. They're always signing up more people when their network can't handle it. And on top of that when something breaks it's almost always the customer's fault. I wish I could afford some sort of dedicated line.

I would probably try back in a couple hours. When their hotline gets enough complaints, then they'll maybe look at the problem =/.

Agreed with sandwood - I believe that the EVO2 is supposed to be somewhat louder as well.

---

scatman - You won't be disappointed, it's much louder than stock. "Mellow" in import sport-compact circles is a misnomer in so far as my wife is concerned. :)

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I hope so, the dude that took my order said the SP2 was no louder than stock. I knew that couldnt be so.

My wife and kid put up with my Camaro Z28 with straight pipes after cats and didnt complain, so I'm good here.

scatman, you're a lucky man indeed. What I wouldn't give to live with the glory of a Z28 with straight pipes! :)

No louder than stock? Hum, I want what he's smoking...... :lol: Let's put it this way, it's one of the reasons why my wife is making me get rid of my Talon. Certainly, it's nowhere near obnoxious, but it produces a very low bass tone, one that can easily be heard THROUGH the concrete wall that separates our apartment building's underground garage from the enclosed elevator lobby.

Hope you like it. :)

-A

Archived