LegacyGT.com

Yellow Fogs - the proper way to do it?

goBlue

There seems to be two ways to get yellow fog lights:

- Install yellow films over OEM fog lights

- Get yellow bulbs

I consider this as a functional and aesthetic mod so I want to make sure which way is the best. I'm leaning toward the films because it's easy and cheap but I'm worried that it reduces light output.

If I go with the bulb replacement option, can I expect to get 2-3 years out of those Nokya bulbs on ebay? I'd like to invest in some PIAAs but I can't seem to find them anywhere for around $45.

For best performance, which way should I choose? Will the yellow fogs really help in harsh weather conditions or is it simply a myth? Pics and opinions would be welcomed. Thanks! :)

edit: oh btw, I already have 4500k Apexcone HIDs installed, so hopefully the yellow fogs will blend well with the HIDs.

Personally, I like to use Silverstars in my fog bulbs. Since I also use it on my headlights, you get one giant zone of white light in front of the car.

I personally like it, some people prefer the yellow / blue / or whatever combo

Get 2500k-3500k HIDs for the fogs. I have yellow HID fogs on my LGT.

I'd love to do that but don't really have the $ at the moment. :redface:

Plus, if I can get a similar result with some cheap films, why not? Anyone know how the films compare to yellow bulbs/HIDs? :confused:

I have used both the film and the bulbs(non HID.) The colored bulbs are not as bright but are more yellow in color then the film. With the film you can use brighter bulbs but they are less yellow in color and can melt if you go to bright(100w melted one of mine a bit).

On a side note: I have a OBP wagon and the film looks really good when the lights are not on as well.

PS: There will be such a contrast with the color of your headlights that they will both look good. As far as it being better, it seems to be more of a personal preference?

I have used both the film and the bulbs(non HID.) The colored bulbs are not as bright but are more yellow in color then the film. With the film you can use brighter bulbs but they are less yellow in color and can melt if you go to bright(100w melted one of mine a bit).

On a side note: I have a OBP wagon and the film looks really good when the lights are not on as well.

PS: There will be such a contrast with the color of your headlights that they will both look good. As far as it being better, it seems to be more of a personal preference?

What kind of bulbs/films do you have? Are you using both films and yellow bulbs simultaneously? So in other words, you get more light output with films than any yellow bulbs (without films)? But the films don't really make the color yellow enough? If I get the yellow films (such as Lamin-x from this forum) with OEM bulbs, can I expect to get similar result as PIAA yellow bulbs?

Here's an interesting explanation on why fog lights should be yellow. ;)

I'd love to do that but don't really have the $ at the moment. :redface:

Plus, if I can get a similar result with some cheap films, why not? Anyone know how the films compare to yellow bulbs/HIDs? :confused:

HIDs are cheap these days, I got mine for ~100. Think about the cost of the overlays + aftermarket bulbs and your probably more than halfway to HIDs which technically should last longer.

HIDs are cheap these days, I got mine for ~100. Think about the cost of the overlays + aftermarket bulbs and your probably more than halfway to HIDs which technically should last longer.

That's true but I'm wondering how the films compare to HIDs? If both give me the same thing, it's still cheaper to get the films ($20 vs. $100) and both will last a long time. However, if HIDs perform drastically better, then I'll consider getting HIDs instead. Just out of curiosity, where do you hide your HID ballasts for your fog lights? Got any (night) pics? :)

i did some research after reading this thread, i currently run the yellow film + white bulbs (@ $3-4 each, its a real cheap replacement if they ever burn out) but ive been looking recently at the krylon glass stains. apparently you can just mask off the area around the glass and spray a few layers, getting the same effect as the yellow film, but i hear they could peel/crack due to road wear... but hey, you could always repaint, and deeper yellow if you wanted too

What kind of bulbs/films do you have? Are you using both films and yellow bulbs simultaneously? So in other words, you get more light output with films than any yellow bulbs (without films)? But the films don't really make the color yellow enough? If I get the yellow films (such as Lamin-x from this forum) with OEM bulbs, can I expect to get similar result as PIAA yellow bulbs?

With that article you just proved and disproved your point at the same time, did you read the whole thing?

I have the ion crystal (I can't remember who makes them) in my fogs.

I don't care one iota on how they make the car look, I only use them for inclement weather driving (snow, fog, blizzard, rain).

The yellow color definitely makes the deer and road easier to see in those conditions vs white.

I would stay away from HID in the fogs if you care solely about seeing better in inclement weather. I am sure your cut-off beam looks perfect, but the optics for the bulb are not for HID, and you will get more scattered light which makes it harder to see in the rain, fog, or snow.

I know the "HID is better then everything crowd" will say I am wrong, but if you want to know, do the real research.

Don't just look at the beam cut-off on the garage door and say it is fine, and don't just look at the increased light output and say it must help me see better, cause it doesn't.

I would opt for the proper spectrum (not color, as the tow are not one-and-the-same) bulb vs a film. Big difference!

i did some research after reading this thread, i currently run the yellow film + white bulbs (@ $3-4 each, its a real cheap replacement if they ever burn out) but ive been looking recently at the krylon glass stains. apparently you can just mask off the area around the glass and spray a few layers, getting the same effect as the yellow film, but i hear they could peel/crack due to road wear... but hey, you could always repaint, and deeper yellow if you wanted too

Does it really enhance your visibility in bad weather conditions vs. OEM bulbs with no films? When you say white bulbs, you mean OEM bulb replacements?

With that article you just proved and disproved your point at the same time, did you read the whole thing?

Sorry but no, I was in a hurry to lunch, only read the 1st paragraph. :lol:

I have the ion crystal (I can't remember who makes them) in my fogs.

I don't care one iota on how they make the car look, I only use them for inclement weather driving (snow, fog, blizzard, rain).

The yellow color definitely makes the deer and road easier to see in those conditions vs white.

I would stay away from HID in the fogs if you care solely about seeing better in inclement weather. I am sure your cut-off beam looks perfect, but the optics for the bulb are not for HID, and you will get more scattered light which makes it harder to see in the rain, fog, or snow.

I know the "HID is better then everything crowd" will say I am wrong, but if you want to know, do the real research.

Don't just look at the beam cut-off on the garage door and say it is fine, and don't just look at the increased light output and say it must help me see better, cause it doesn't.

I would opt for the proper spectrum (not color, as the tow are not one-and-the-same) bulb vs a film. Big difference!

OK, no HIDs for sure. Sorry if it sounds stupid but why are the films worse than yellow bulbs? I'd like to get those PIAA ion crystals but Cardomain no longer has them for around $45. My only cheap options left are Nokyas (which I heard are unreliable) and films.

I'd like to get those PIAA ion crystals but Cardomain no longer has them for around $45.

$46.08 shipped from [ame=http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-13555-Crystal-85-Watt-Replacement/dp/B0002MAGXM]Amazon.com[/ame]

$46.59 shipped from FixThisRide.com

OK, no HIDs for sure. Sorry if it sounds stupid but why are the films worse than yellow bulbs? I'd like to get those PIAA ion crystals but Cardomain no longer has them for around $45. My only cheap options left are Nokyas (which I heard are unreliable) and films.

The film cuts out certain waves-length of light so it looks yellow. This also causes the lens to get a bit warmer, as the filtered light is turning into heat right on the lens.

A proper bulb will have a better color spectrum that is most sensitive to our eyes in inclement weather. It is not about quantity of light, it is about the spectrum that is makes objects on the road the easiest to see and differentiate. It is also about which bulb (lens counts here too, but I found the OEM ones to work very well w/ a normal filament bulb) puts out the spectrum of light that least diffuses and takes away from our lower field of vision.

You know how we have the light spectrum (rainbow) from red to violet? Well, a yellow bulb does not just have yellow in it, accurately you would need a spectral plot. I don't have any in yellow, but from my coral reef aquarium I can show you a plot of a "white" bulb, w/ a tinge of blue. Notice how many different colors are there?

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/specialty-lights/aquablue.gif

This one looks even more "white":

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/specialty-lights/midday.gif

This one here looks a bit yellowish:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/specialty-lights/sunmaster-superhps.jpg

I don't have one that is close to a good "fog" light, but hopefully it helps you get the idea that there is more to it then just a "yellow" bulb.

Does it really enhance your visibility in bad weather conditions vs. OEM bulbs with no films? When you say white bulbs, you mean OEM bulb replacements?

yes, at least, i feel that it does, especially in the winter when there is alot of snow on the ground and when everything else is coated white the yellow helps ALOT with the contrast (im running white 4500K HIDs). I think that is the greatest plus for me, the white light literally scatters EVERYWHERE and its really comforting to the eyes when the fogs illuminate a snow mound or snow filled pothole amongst the whiteness. they also help when its raining heavily and i cant really see the lane markers cause its just POURING, but not as much as when its all snowy out. i dont get enough fog up here to be able to tell you how it works in those conditions though.

oh yea, when i say white bulbs i mean $4 OEM clear replacements at wallmart, autozone, ect. i mean, i figured since they are not my primary means of illumniation, and are only used as a supplement to my regular lights, the transmission loss through the film/stain is acceptable for their results. i might even shell out $7-9 for some 100W clear bulbs when mine burn out because the heat buildup would be on the outside lens instead of the inside bulb where theres no airflow. i would never go HIDs though, waayyyy too bright for fog light application. yellow still scatters, but not as much as the other colors (theoretically RED would be the best). but when you put TOO much light out there, the amount of scattering and resultant glare would probably negate the positive effects of using yellow wavelength light.

---

edit: just want to add that this is my perception, because we all have different eyes, we all have different sensitivities to different parts of the spectrum as LittleBlueGT has shown, yellow works out real well for my eyes, YMMV

piaa ion yellows ftw. yeah expensive, but i bet i will never replace them. work very well, brighter then oem h3s, and the contrast looks great with xenon retro. i use them for rain, snow, and when driving in heavy traffic.

heres my install pics and comparo

http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=905

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

So looks like PIAA Ion Crystals are the way to go! I'll get them from Amazon when I get my GCs in the mail. Thanks everyone your helpful inputs. :)

btw VXCL, those Ion Crystals look great with your HIDs! I see your original thread was created in 2005, so you've had them for 3 years? Absolutely no problems so far? How hard was the installation?

It looks like you figured out what you wanted...but though i would still reply. I have run 3 bulb types: stock, Sylvania 100w BP, and 55x Optilux Extreme XY Yellow Xenon. I ran them all with the film on so i can not speak to the difference without it. However the combination of the colored bulb and the film definitely put out the most vivid yellow (and is what i am actually running now). And the are about as bright as stock.

I have yellow bulbs, Im not a big fan of the yellow film.

+1.

Asthetically, I don't like the yellow covers. But the ultra yellow Eurolite H3's I have installed in the housings are great.

They have lasted for over a year, and I expect them to last for a few more.

H3's are generally a solid bulb design, much better than the horrid H7. I wouldn't expect anyone to chime in here telling that he's changed out his failing fog light bulbs more than once.

pic example added. Really nice bulb, for the price.

yellow-jdm-bulb.jpg.4a6cecc39bc8a736fb1fb57d8c320add.jpg

Archived