LegacyGT.com

Removing stock endlinks - ?special tool?

dmtparker

I've done my share of shade tree mechanic stuff (totaly rebuilt a '62 Corvette), so I am more than comfortable replacing both front and rear sway bars as well as switching up to better pads, but as I was changing over from my winter tires to the Eagle F-1s (now that Winter has FINALLY left NH!:eek:) I looked at the endlinks and I cannot figure out how to get them off - instead of a hex head or an allen socket, it appears to have a smooth surface and 4 blue nipples sticking out. Since I am not ready to pull everything apart yet, I did not force the issue, but this did not seem to be a cover or anything. My shop manual refers to a 'special tool' to remove them.

Can someone who has been there clue me in on the process? I have never been a fan of 'special tools' and usually find a work around.

While we are at it, the endlinks look pretty whimpy and I was thinking of replacing them, but have read much debate on this. Any suggestions about keeping/replacing? This is a daily (hard driven) driver and except for the good tires, brakes, and sway bars, I don't plan any immediate changes.

TIA

You need an open end wrench and a socket.

Search for Rear sway bar install.

Yes, on the rear I could see the hex area on the inside to allow you to double wrench it so it won't spin. Maybe I dodn't look closely enough (I was just changing the wheels), but it looked like the FRONT endlink was missing that hex area on the inside to get a wrench on. Am I wrong (I HOPE!) or is the Front different from the Rear?

• 6 years later...

You are not wrong - the front are different from the rear. I just changed mine and the front require a 5MM allen wrench. The end of the bolt has a 5mm fitting . I was successful on 3 of four bolt on the front, the last one I had to cut. Mine were heavily rusted so take your time and they will come.

The rear end links do have a hex jam nut no no allen key is required.

Archived