LegacyGT.com

Comparison of USDM, JDM & COBB bars

vel0mac

I actually just installed the MR Coilovers Front and Rear, and ended up only changing out the rears for the COBBS even though I had all the McMaster parts on hand.

I think I'll leave it like this for the rest of the summer. It feels a lot more neutral (almost ZERO understeer), which is great fun. When winter starts coming around, I think that's when I'll put in the front COBB swaybar back in and let a little mild understeer come back for safety.

I've not tried this combination, but I did have a chance to drive Boulderguy's car this past weekend. He has both the MR Coilovers and F&R COBBs (with the rear set to the stiffest) as well as the Superpro offset bushings for the control arms.

Previously, he had Tokico struts and Perrin bars and it felt like my car would outcorner his with mine having the stock struts and COBB bars. Now with the additional things he has done, his car is far better than mine, while still being 'civilized' and good for daily driving. The setup he has is a very, very nice combination!

I suppose I should not have driven his car, now I have a new wish list that I cannot seem to get out of my head... HA!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Do these bars change ground clearance at all? Like as far as the bar hanging lower than the stock bar, and maybe catching on stuff like in a car wash?
I didn't measure ground clearance, but it does not seem to affect it. Side by side comparisons of the bars indicate that the bends are the same, just diametrical difference. IF the clearance is affected, it is only a fraction of an inch (if that).

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I just installed my new COBB bars this evening, used your advice vel0mac! Got my parts from McMaster, and the install went just fine. After a couple days of driving, I'll check it again.

Also installed the COBB DA STS. Got it set on the shortest throw, but I think it might be too much....

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW I installed a set of Cobb sway bar (F&R) on my 2005 LGT and have had lots of problems with the front. I used Kartboy links on the rear, but factory on the front. There were constant clunks from the front and in looking at it, it appeared that the bar was "walking" (wish I could watch it while driving!) Anyway I reasoned that solid links like the Kartboys would help stop the walking so I got a set for the front. BAD IDEA - DO NOT USE KARTBOY FRONT LINKS WITH COBB BARS! They self destructed in 2 weeks, tearing the rubber right out of the aluminum. At this point I have ordered a set of Cobb end links, but after reading this thread, I think I will double check their fitment when they arrive and add spacers if needed and also add some collars to keep the bars in place.

Remember - this is on a 2005 LGT, so beware.

Still waiting for the Cobb links to arrive, I replaced the Kartboys (blown out) with the factory links using an extra nut on each stud wound tight against the body of the link. Still plenty of room to install the link and the outer nuts. This spaces out th link abut 1/4" top and bottom.

Runs great! Almost tempted not to install the Cobbs, but probably will.

Anyway, the spacer is the trick to tame these Cobb bars in Outback OR LGT

FWIW,

I've had good luck with the OEM ones, and the spacer/collar fixes to keep the swaybar centered...

I've taken the setup to the track, I max out steering locks pretty often negotiating the tight parking lot in my apt complex. There's this crazy curb that I go up to get to the local gas station, that definitely maxes out the swaybars, because I go up something like this:

1) right front wheel going up incline/driveway diagonally.

2) left front and right rear wheels go up driveway at same time (since I'm going up at about a an angle.), right front begins to lift off ground as I go near the top of the driveway/incline...

3) wait for it... wait for it....

4) my whole car tilts over on the LF and RR acting as fulcrums, lifting my left rear wheel at least 5" off the ground, and dropping the right front down pretty hard.

No, I'm not a racer, it's just the way the driveway is oriented to the street it's hard to go straight on.

Anyways, my point is I think I'm pretty hard on my swaybars, and never had any problems with them or the stock links.

I've had cobb sways and kartboy endlinks since June,and have yet to have any problems with them. I did use Velo's idea with spacers and collars, so that's what is probably contributing to the endlinks lasting, thanks Velo!
never, under any circumstances, take sleeping pills at the same time as a laxative.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

read every word on this thread, I still cant figure out if these bars actually work or not? They're priced right and I realized not too long ago I need to upgrade my suspension before I even THINK about more power. The review is good but the problems concern me. I wont be taking the risk of making something designed for my car fit with spacers and washers and things. If its designed for my car it should fit and have no issues.

If its working I'm going to consider buying this thing but if its all crazy and needs all kinds of back yard engineering to keep it from breaking endlinks or wearing things out in 2 weeks.. no thanks.. so whats the word guys?

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

it wasn't just outbacks that had this problem. i have a lgt unlimited, and i still had to at least use spacers for my kartboy end links, otherwise it would have torn the bushings in the end links up like everyone else. the collars are just a good idea for any bar to keep the bar from walking one way or the other. i still think these are great bars though, and would buy them all over again.
never, under any circumstances, take sleeping pills at the same time as a laxative.

See, I don't like that though, if its a bolt on solution I want it to be a BOLT ON SOLUTION Ie I bolt it on and walk away, I dont want to have to go to tractor supply and find something to fab up, the fabbing was their part of the job.

I dont mind at all using a spacer if they would provide it in the kit, at least then I'm not hunting for a way to "make it work." having an endlink snap when you're doing something thats probably already a bad idea is not going to help you at all lol.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• 4 months later...
Does anyone know if the Cobb FSB issues have been rectified, or do we still need to add the spacers and collars to make it work properly? LGT sedan specifically.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wasnted to revisit this; I installed a COBB stage 2 suspension kit to my 09 USDM legacy. I love it. But COBB end links were backordered, so I used the Perrin end links (front and rear) and I have not had any problems with them. The end links came with some nice sized spacers. Because of your writeup, I am not conisdering shaft collars to reinforce the bar in the front from sliding. You got me worried... unless they made some corrections in the last 2 years.

How has it been working out for you all this time?