LegacyGT.com

Takata Airbag recall

Yeah got mine Friday. Closest dealer is a hour away. Hate to have to take a day off from work to get this fixed. Also need to get the recall done for the break line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's going to be a long time before the parts are available.

I'm a little concerned my interior will get all messed up from the whole process.

Same. Dealership techs aren't used to unusual procedures on cars built 8-15 years ago, and dealerships don't have a financial incentive to do it as well as possible because they are going comp'd for only a small amount of labor time. There is already one story on here of a guy getting it done in WV and them messing up the trim of the passenger side A-pillar and expecting him to pay for the replacement part. Seriously?

I wouldn't be worried at all.. I'm sure dealership techs have worked on countless 4th gen legacies and outbacks. I don't think the airbag is very difficult to replace at all.

We've already seen a few members get their recall bags installed, only to have get their vehicles back in rather crappy condition. Electronics not reinstalled properly, cracked trim, screws missing, etc. I think discojon got it the worst.

A good point made was that these cars are now 10+ years old in some cases. Many dealer techs haven't wrenched on them much.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

We've already seen a few members get their recall bags installed, only to have get their vehicles back in rather crappy condition. Electronics not reinstalled properly, cracked trim, screws missing, etc. I think discojon got it the worst.

A good point made was that these cars are now 10+ years old in some cases. Many dealer techs haven't wrenched on them much.

The actual replacement of the airbag is trivial as noted, however getting to it is the issue. The entire dash must be removed, (service can be done from below if dealer is capable) and with the age of the cars these dash pads are getting soft and easily damaged. Fortunately, my pad wasn't damaged anymore that is was already. As I mentioned in the other thread, Subaru is overwhelmed with this recall, and the 05-07 LGT is the most difficult of all the models to repair.

Before you trust your car to the dealer ask these questions:

1. Have you done any of the Takata air bag recalls on an 05-07 LGT?
  2. How many hours will the service take? (If they say 1.5 they haven't done any and are lying to you)
  3. May I speak with the technician to point out any aftermarket or non oem changes on the vehicle?
  4. Will you complete the Dash Rattle TSB #12-96-06 while the dash is out?

If they are incapable of answering any of these simple questions, turn tail and run.

Upon delivery of the car check the following items before leaving the service bay proper:

1. Glove box is installed properly and string is in place.
  2. All trim is flush and appears to be undamaged
  3. A piller covers are secured and undamaged
  4. Dash pad around cubby and vents is undamaged from prying vents out
  5. Look in floor board for any loose, unused fasteners
  6. Check function for all non-oem parts that may have been removed
  7. Check emergency flashers (mine didnt get pugged back in)

For some reason when I made my post I was only thinking about reaplacing the driver side airbag, and not the passenger which does seem more difficult to get to. I still think dealer techs are no stranger to 4th Gen legacies, but I understand concerns about them trying to get the warranty work done as fast as possible, and possibly doing sloppy work.

I believe the recall is only for the passenger side airbag.

I called my dealer on Friday and they indicated that they don't expect to have the parts until the end of march at the earliest as the allocation of the parts is starting in the more humid climates which seem to have the potential for more of an issue than those of us in the Northeast.

I had them put me on a list for the parts department so that when the parts do come in, I'll be notified. I got the feeling that I was #1 on the list....

• 5 months later...
I'm in Seattle, with 4+ large Subaru dealerships and approximately 1 billion 4th gen legacies/outbacks. I've had my recall letter for 6 months now, and I'm going to the dealer this weekend to demand a fix or an equivalent loaner (FXT or 6 cyl OB). We need all 4-5 seats in our car on a regular basis.

The actual replacement of the airbag is trivial as noted, however getting to it is the issue. The entire dash must be removed, (service can be done from below if dealer is capable) and with the age of the cars these dash pads are getting soft and easily damaged. Fortunately, my pad wasn't damaged anymore that is was already. As I mentioned in the other thread, Subaru is overwhelmed with this recall, and the 05-07 LGT is the most difficult of all the models to repair.

Before you trust your car to the dealer ask these questions:

1. Have you done any of the Takata air bag recalls on an 05-07 LGT?
  2. How many hours will the service take? (If they say 1.5 they haven't done any and are lying to you)
  3. May I speak with the technician to point out any aftermarket or non oem changes on the vehicle?
  4. Will you complete the Dash Rattle TSB #12-96-06 while the dash is out?

If they are incapable of answering any of these simple questions, turn tail and run.

Upon delivery of the car check the following items before leaving the service bay proper:

1. Glove box is installed properly and string is in place.
  2. All trim is flush and appears to be undamaged
  3. A piller covers are secured and undamaged
  4. Dash pad around cubby and vents is undamaged from prying vents out
  5. Look in floor board for any loose, unused fasteners
  6. Check function for all non-oem parts that may have been removed
  7. Check emergency flashers (mine didnt get pugged back in)

Thanks SO MUCH for this. I will take pictures and video of the whole dash console prior to the repair.

Also received the letter in the mail - a few months back... still can not get my airbag replacement.
**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

I had mine done, and Subaru of Bend did the new dash pad replacement recall at the same time. If your car qualifies for a dash pad replacement this is the time to do it. Your dealer will have to order the pad, there was a three week wait for it.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

• 1 year later...
I had mine done, and Subaru of Bend did the new dash pad replacement recall at the same time. If your car qualifies for a dash pad replacement this is the time to do it. Your dealer will have to order the pad, there was a three week wait for it.

What's a dash pad replacement?

Archived