LegacyGT.com

Alternator specs

Anyone know what amperage our alternators are running? I'm guessing at least 100. BTW, I have a 2005 LGT.

I went to start it this evening and the lights came on for a split second (needle bounce and HID warmup) then everything quit completely and it was as if the car had no juice whatsoever; no noise from the starter, no lights, no nothin. Still not ruling out the battery (though it was replaced about 18 mo ago), but I want to get specs on the alternator JIC

Thanks

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

So I just went out and jumped it to get it started and tried to get some voltage readings to compare but I think I fried my voltometer (a cheap one from harbor freight). Anywho, my car is starting fine now following the jump but I guess time will tell if the battery will drain. I'll probably run it (if it starts) to get a check on the alternator and battery to be sure. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks for the details, it looks like I'll need one with at least 105 A output. That's what I needed to know. The more I think about it, it's like the car grounded out and drained everything. If it was the alternator, I would expect a slower death. I'm going to hold up for now and see what happens.

The more I think about it, it's like the car grounded out and drained everything.

Sounds like you're having the same problem I was having. When I turned the key to the accessory position (first click), the radio and lights all came on fine. When I went to start the car, everything went black.

Turns out it was a bad connection on the negative battery terminal (could happen just as easy on the positive side). Cleaning the battery post and the clamp worked for a little while, but eventually I had to change the clamp.

Good luck!

Sounds like you're having the same problem I was having. When I turned the key to the accessory position (first click), the radio and lights all came on fine. When I went to start the car, everything went black.

Turns out it was a bad connection on the negative battery terminal (could happen just as easy on the positive side). Cleaning the battery post and the clamp worked for a little while, but eventually I had to change the clamp.

Good luck!

I think that's exactly what it was. I figured it out when I jumped it and noticed that the battery wasn't charging. That was both a relief and an easy fix!

Archived