LegacyGT.com

What to do...

My 05 lgt has 176k on the clock. Has the Original motor thats currently stage 2. The Turbo was replaced at 122k. Put on some slightly used bilstiens and swifts at about 163k. Its burning an excessive amount of oil. The clutch will need to be done as well. The big question here is buy a new car or rebuild it?

A short block can be had for $2K. Here - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Legacy-GT-Outback-XT-Short-Block-turbo-engine-fits-05-09-p-n-10103AC030-/281082618290#vi-content

I'd confirm you're burning oil because of bad rings, and not say a cheap PCV valve or something else.

Personally I'd sell it. The mileage is really up there. I'd probably take the cash and try to by another leggy if you're still a fan.

Found a rebuilt short block motor for less http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2005-Subaru-2-5-Engine-Short-Block-Legacy-Outback-Forester-Impreza-/321046584125?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ALegacy%7CSubmodel%3AGT&hash=item4abfde1b3d&vxp=mtr

If you must rebuild your motor might be worth the drive 800 miles, to save the $150 in shipping and also see about them swapping the short blocks for you.

I thought you would chime in here, Max. I've probably read your motor thread (which is a great thread) 4 times haha. I am leaning toward the direction of a rebuild. I'm from Plainville. I'm looking for a reputable shop that I'm not going to end up paying an arm and a leg at.

Shop and not paying arm and leg for, noramlly don't go together in the real world.

There is the Subby shop in E. Hartford.

Can you do some of the work by yourself ? Even if it was transporting stuff from one place to another.

My trusted mechanic is in Somersville, Colonial Tire & Brake, 860 749 7988, Rich Plumb, he's great. He's only a 1/4 from my other buddies machine shop, Mark Eastwoods 860 749 2903 Eastwoods auto machine. These guy's have worked together for years. Mark also dose a lot of the machining for the local car dealerships.

If you stop by Mark's, he'll take the time to show you around the shop and walk you thru what they'll do for you.

Oh yea, My tranny guy also works for Mark Eastwood. He used to work just west of Colonial for Stop & Start Transmissions for years.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived