LegacyGT.com

Oil filter sizing weirdness

OK, went to the garage tonight to do my break-in oil change at 1500 miles. Nice new Subaru "genuine part" oil filter and 5 quarts of Mobil 1 at the ready, I go to remove the filter and find that my old band wrench won't fit. No problem, take the new filter to the FLAPS, size a cap style wrench, pay my $3 and head home. Go to remove the filter that's on the car from the factory and WTF! It's a smaller diameter than the new one.

Our OBW is a n/a 2.5i, built in August of 05 despite the fact that we took delivery three weeks ago. I *thought* I got a filter for a n/a 2.5 from the dealer, p/n 15208AA100, black casing. The filter on the car from the factory has a white casing.

Can anybody shed any light here? Was there a running change, or do I have a filter for an XT?

I know what you are talking about. Normally, I let the dealer do the first oil change because the oil filter is on too tight.

On the Legacy GT, I changed it myself. I had to get one of those perfect fit metal cans that fit over the end to remove it. It has a hex on the end so that you can use a normal socket over it.

The OE one on the car is some kind of weird metric size. Only Pep Boys had the size that I needed. It was like $2.xx so not a big deal...

Oh... I forgot to add... the new OE Tokyo Roki ones that I bought have a slightly different size so that the filter wrench will still engage it but it's definitely a slightly different size than what was on the car.

OK, went to the garage tonight to do my break-in oil change at 1500 miles. Nice new Subaru "genuine part" oil filter and 5 quarts of Mobil 1 at the ready, I go to remove the filter and find that my old band wrench won't fit. No problem, take the new filter to the FLAPS, size a cap style wrench, pay my $3 and head home. Go to remove the filter that's on the car from the factory and WTF! It's a smaller diameter than the new one.

Our OBW is a n/a 2.5i, built in August of 05 despite the fact that we took delivery three weeks ago. I *thought* I got a filter for a n/a 2.5 from the dealer, p/n 15208AA100, black casing. The filter on the car from the factory has a white casing.

Can anybody shed any light here? Was there a running change, or do I have a filter for an XT?

I'm not sure what Subaru is doing with filters. Maybe Opie or someone who works at a dealership can shed some light. I went to the Subie dealership last month and picked up an air filter and oil filter for my Forester. Came home, the air filter doesn't fit. God FU*)K Dam. Drove back to the dealer and got the correct air filter and had him double check the oil filter. Here's his response...

"Subaru standardized on one oil filter size for all Subarus MY04+" What? I asked if that filter would fit both my Forester (XS) and my Legacy GT. His response was "yes" :confused: Is it true?

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

I'm not sure what Subaru is doing with filters. Maybe Opie or someone who works at a dealership can shed some light. I went to the Subie dealership last month and picked up an air filter and oil filter for my Forester. Came home, the air filter doesn't fit. God FU*)K Dam. Drove back to the dealer and got the correct air filter and had him double check the oil filter. Here's his response...

"Subaru standardized on one oil filter size for all Subarus MY04+" What? I asked if that filter would fit both my Forester (XS) and my Legacy GT. His response was "yes" :confused: Is it true?

I think what he meant was that all same engine type has the same oil filter. Meaning all the turbos has their own, H6 has their own, and 2.5L N/A has their own.

as previously posted the small white filters were indeed recalled due to a bad gasket leaking. now subaru only uses two styles of filter one for the six cylinder,(a large white one) and one for everything else turbo or not.(the small black one)

btw. the best filter wrench that you can buy right now is a $12 craftsman triple claw gear style one (down side you have to use a ratchet for it to work up side it will fit any filter out there even the factory installed small white filter:icon_bigg it comes in a clear blister pack and is shaped like a triangle with a claw coming out of each corner

I have a Suzuki motorcycle too. The OEM oil filter cap socket for the Suzuki filter also fits my Subaru black filter. Just an FYI, if you can't find the cap style wrench.

:whore: I had to go to a motorcycle shop and buy a Suzuki oil filter wrench. ONLY place I could find one to fit the black Subaru filter.

It is still ugly.

Originally I purchased the black Subaru oil filters and couldn't find a cap that fit. Eventually my Snap-On friend gave me an adjustable "cap" that works in the remove direction; install had to be done by hand, which I guess was OK. But I'm done with all that -- I switched to Purolator which fits standard caps. Plus, they can be as cheap as $0.99 at PepBoys if you watch the sales and rebates.

Guess the designers of the Subaru filters must be umemployed plumbing designers. Ever notice that a lot of plumbing hex nuts & fittings do not fit either an English nor a metric wrench? One is forced to used a bulky, clumsy, knuckle-busting adjustable wrench.

as previously posted the small white filters were indeed recalled due to a bad gasket leaking. now subaru only uses two styles of filter one for the six cylinder,(a large white one) and one for everything else turbo or not.(the small black one)

btw. the best filter wrench that you can buy right now is a $12 craftsman triple claw gear style one (down side you have to use a ratchet for it to work up side it will fit any filter out there even the factory installed small white filter:icon_bigg it comes in a clear blister pack and is shaped like a triangle with a claw coming out of each corner

I can second that wrench. However, when it comes to filters that just won't budge I've had to break out the trusty ol' strap.

950235150_filterwrench.jpg.e1cf881588e1b85ae1a49ef0befc0eec.jpg

Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

I'm a bit confused about the use of a 'filter wrench'. I have only needed one to take off an OEM filter.

I have not used a wrench to install a new filter in over 15 years. I have found that a hand tightened filter with nothing more than a bead of fresh oil on the gasket never leaks and can be removed by hand. I just hand tighten untill snug and then another 1/4 turn. This has saved me a lot of grief especially with oil filters that are in places/positions that are hard to reach or see.

I can second that wrench. However, when it comes to filters that just won't budge I've had to break out the trusty ol' strap.

How do you get a strap around that thing? Over the last twenty years, I have accumulated just about every type of strap wrench there is and I could not get any of them around the Subaru filter properly. Of course, I didn't jack the car up that high either so maybe I just need more working space.

The articulating 3 arm wrench works well, but not as well as the perfect fit sockets that fit over the filter. I can apply the most torque with those cans. They're very cheap (< $3) and Pep Boys has the one that fits the black Subaru OEM filters.

Typically, the filter wrenches are a one use deal. I just use them for the first oil change ... or after my wife brings the car to Jiffy Lube.

How do you get a strap around that thing? Over the last twenty years, I have accumulated just about every type of strap wrench there is and I could not get any of them around the Subaru filter properly. Of course, I didn't jack the car up that high either so maybe I just need more working space.

The articulating 3 arm wrench works well, but not as well as the perfect fit sockets that fit over the filter. I can apply the most torque with those cans. They're very cheap (< $3) and Pep Boys has the one that fits the black Subaru OEM filters.

Typically, the filter wrenches are a one use deal. I just use them for the first oil change ... or after my wife brings the car to Jiffy Lube.

Not really a strap wrench....it's a square metal tube with a nylon strap attached to it. You slide it up over the filter, turn the metal tube to roll up the excess, then put a socket wrench on it. It will crush the filter into submission if it doesn't want to budge. I've yet to run into a filter that it won't take off.

Since I do my own changes, I usually don't need one but sometimes they just stick, ya know?

Here:

Amazon.com: Hopkins 10619 Nylon Strap Wrench: Automotive

Not really a strap wrench....it's a square metal tube with a nylon strap attached to it. You slide it up over the filter, turn the metal tube to roll up the excess, then put a socket wrench on it. It will crush the filter into submission if it doesn't want to budge. I've yet to run into a filter that it won't take off.

Oh. I have one of those. I couldn't get it to stay on while torquing it. I'm all thumbs.

Well it's good to know someone found a cup wrench that works. I've been unsuccessful. As for the reason of using one, I change my oil without jacking up the car. Cup wrench on a socket just makes it easier to reach the filter without going completely under the car.

Took me awhile to find my post from another thread:

Thanks again for the cycle shop idea. First one I stopped at had exactly what I wanted. Suzuki Genuine Parts, part number 09915-40611. $5.31 including MN sales tax. Metal, cap-style wrench that accepts a 3/8" socket drive. :)
It is still ugly.

Oh. I have one of those. I couldn't get it to stay on while torquing it. I'm all thumbs.

Yeah, it's definitely a two hand and possibly one foot operation. You have to slide the strap on, roll it up tight and hold it, then stick the wrench in and bust that f'er off. It works better if you've got room to attach an extension because then you can just hold the extension and use it to crank the strap down and hold, then turn the wrench once it's tight.

Archived