LegacyGT.com

trailer hitch install confusion!

Hi All!

This can be easy: if anyone has an OEM trailer hitch on a sedan, can you post a picture??

I purchased as used trailer hitch, which you can see here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/part-out-nc-1998-subaru-outback-limited-176191.html

It was on an OB wagon, trying to put onto my L sedan.

I found some instructions online (found here: http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/96-and-later-trailer-hitch-596.html )

They are telling me to attach the hitch first to the tie-down loops in the back. I will transcribe the instructions below. What I am confused about it that it sounds like I will need to cut a large swath out of very bottom of my bumper. I expected that at most there would just be the small notch as shown in kennys picture. I also am a little surprised the hitch would be so far back. I'm wondering the wagon has the tie down loops farther forward? Mine are nearly touching the bumper.

Any thoughts? (instructions below! I shortened where I could)

Remove two hangers from muffler (did that!)

Attach forward part of hitch to tie-down loops with bolts.

Lift the hitch assembly up so that the receiver section contacts the lower edge of the rear bumper fascia and the rear floor pan weld seam. Mark the fascia on each side of the receiver tube and mark the floor pan weld seam on each side of the hitch assembly. Rotate hitch back down.

Cut out paper template (I do not have this). Attach paper template to bumper fascia and transfer the U from the template to the bumper fascia.

Carefully cutout the marked section of the bumper fascia (here I do not know if I am cutting a small section like on kennys picture or a 2-foot wide section. I do not see how it could fit without cutting a 2-foot section).

Carefully bend the marked section of the rear floor pan weld seam. (not sure what this is referring to but maybe I would see it if I cut the bumper first??).

EDIT: I found where STANG had the same problem on here but no resolution listed (?). I have the same hitch.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tow-hitch-installation-issue-186147.html

In response to this thread, and your PM, my tow bar is still sitting around and not on the car. I think we ended up determining that there is more hardware required that I did not get. Specifically, two additional bars or brackets (one for each side). I never got around to going back to the car we got this off of because it was already a three hour job to get this off because of how the car was sitting in the junkyard and how rusted all the bolts were. I didn't need it for any specific application, so I didn't have incentive to go back. Sorry!

The hitch is designed on the outback bumper which sticks out farther. If you look on an outback bumper it goes down straight while the sedan bumper or legacy wagon (non outback) the bumper starts to come in as it gets lower. Hope it makes sense. I'll try to take a pic

Okay, looks to me like it will never fit. If you look at the first pic I linker, the arm of the hitch fits in between the charcoal canister and the rear bumper. On my car there are only a couple of inches there.

Looks like a fail! Hope I am wrong though.

Hmmm... I just saw this and you PM.

The length issue is odd, considering all vendors of the trailer hitch made for this car have the same part number for both sedan and wagon applications. I checked this before I sold it to you.

Get some pictures of how it looks after you bolt it to the tow hooks. That way I can see what you've got, better. If we can't figure it out and make it work, I'll buy the hitch back from you next month if you'd like. I don't want to stick you with something you can't use. Plus, I can use it on my 99 OBL.

Hi Kenny,

Yeah, I checked the trailer hitch numbers also: same for all flavors of Legacy.

Do you recall where the hitch was bolted on the car you took it off of? There was mention in the other thread about some type of bracket that was needed.

I'll try to get some pics for you on the weekend.

The two long bolts went up into the frame somewhere. I don't know of any extra brackets, as there were none on my car when I took it off. I looked and made sure that I gave you everything, minus that one tow hook bolt I lost.

Basically, the hitch needs to be bolted into the tow hooks first (LOOSELY so it can be rotated and wiggle). After that, swing it up and the long bolts go up and in. But like I told you, I have no idea how it fits with your bumper. I know on the wagon a small notch had to be cut out for the end to clear the bumper. I've looked at pictures and the hitches seem to fit up to yours and not need modification, but I don't know for sure.

Archived