LegacyGT.com

Error Code P0763 Shift Solenoid C Electrical and 0700

2005 Legacy GT AT <80k miles. Stock

I got a ECL and blinking cruise and sport lights.

They all turned off for 5 miles and then back on.

I pulled the codes and got:

P0763 Shift Solenoid C Electrical

P0700 Transmission Control Module (TCM) monitors the malfunction of sensors and actuators relating to transmission control

Has anyone had these codes? What do these codes mean in "human" speak? How much do you think this will cost?

Possible causes of OBD code P0763

- Faulty shift solenoid C valve - Shift solenoid C valve harness or connectors - Shift solenoid C valve circuit is open or shorted - Low transmission fluid level - Dirty transmission fluid The Error code is generally activated on detection of the following conditions: The P0763 code is detected when the gear required by the ECM does not match the actual gear when vehicle is driven.

Possible causes of OBD code P0700

- Shorted or open circuit within transmission control module (TCM) - Failure of transmission control module

Car has been in the shop for 8 days. They replaced the entire valve body and found out that the sensor was not ground properly so they removed and re-installed the valve body. Everything came out ok with the valve body but found out that I need a new TCM (please add $585, labor is free).

The service advisor is telling me that the faulty TCM is what caused the valve body to short out and usually shorts out more than one solinoid.

So subaru has me spending $2000 on a car that is only worth $10-12K.

I was under the impression that Japanese cars had more reliable electronics than other makes.

Anyone know where I could send a letter to Subaru corporate to tell them how annoyed I am.

Car has been in the shop for 8 days. They replaced the entire valve body and found out that the sensor was not ground properly so they removed and re-installed the valve body. Everything came out ok with the valve body but found out that I need a new TCM (please add $585, labor is free).

The service advisor is telling me that the faulty TCM is what caused the valve body to short out and usually shorts out more than one solinoid.

So subaru has me spending $2000 on a car that is only worth $10-12K.

I was under the impression that Japanese cars had more reliable electronics than other makes.

Anyone know where I could send a letter to Subaru corporate to tell them how annoyed I am.

I see you're new at this.

bmx045, I bought the car new and thought it would be as reliable as my 1988 toyota pickup.

I am more an end user rather than a power user.

Are you saying that Subarus are unreliable and the Subaru corporate is unresponsive to letters and complaints?

Please elaborate.

You have a turbo subaru, reliability is nothing like the N/A versions. Your failure is an isolated event compared to the transmission issues brought up on this forum, writing a letter to a company doesn't get you very far, usually. You also generalized that since its a japanese car that it's automatically reliable, you bought the car thinking this :lol: Even the most reliable of cars have failures once in a while, reality check. A turbo subaru isn't the first vehicle i would choose for reliability if i was limited to japanese, I'd probably choose a toyota corolla. You were unfortunately duped by marketing of subaru and their reliability(which is primarily true for n/a subarus and also the 2.2L platform). There are the unicorn turbo subarus that run 200k miles without any major failures but that is VERY far and few between. The longer you look through this forum the more you'll realize these cars and platform need special attention or else you can quickly find yourself in a huge credit card minimum monthly payment.

I think you are overreacting. Unfortunately sensors do go bad all the time as well as electrical connectors. Personally I may inquire into the reason of the TCM failure because a fried sensor shouldn't take it out.

And you are right, Japanese cars supposedly tend to be more reliable but what you need to understand is NONE are perfect. I can counter your anecdotal evidence with my own. I am at 94K, I have not been stock since 40K-some miles and I have had zero issues.

I understand your frustration but unfortunately these things do happen.

Reliability is disputed around here and in my opinion the issues are overblown.

Archived