LegacyGT.com

Head Unit Suggestions

SpudGT

I have all the parts ordered to install a double din head unit in my Wife's 2005 Outback XT (thanks to dwolson2) ... I was hoping that you folks could help point me at a decent head unit.

Here are the things that are important to us:

- Good iPod/iPhone integration

- Built in Bluetooth/Mic for hands free calling

- Built in navigation (that works well)

- Voice control of nav, phone, ipod is a plus

- Good display, easy UI

- Good audio quality (on stock speakers to start)

- Ability to play music from thumb drive a plus

- Don't care about DVD movies or satellite radio

I haven't set a budget yet, but looking at units from:

- Alpine

- Kenwood

- Pioneer

- Eclipse

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

With alpine, you will buy a headunit that plays music... and can interface with an ipod. For bluetooth and navigation, you will have to buy separate components to handle each. But it will sound awesome.

Pioneer and Kenwood are all in one usually.. im going to pick up either the Pioneer x910bt, x920bt, z110bt or the z120bt. The xx20bt units arent released yet but should be any minute. These Pioneers will do everything you want out of the box and more. Ive heard ok things about Kenwood, but never have been a fan.

Eclipse has all in one units also... and will sound awesome. I think the interface graphically is lacking.. but Eclipse is quality. Sadly they have left the aftermarket car audio game, so your taking a small risk with getting it fixed or updated down the road, like when say Apple decides to change something in the iphone/ipod for charging or controls.

Check out videos on youtube for the Pioneers I mentioned.. I think you will like.

Thanks for the feedback. On paper the Pioneer X920BT seems to be everything I want.

I remember reading someplace that Nav on the Pioneers was a little 'sluggish', you could actually pass a turn/destination before the unit realized it. Has anyone here actually had bad Nav experiences with Pioneer?

If you want worry free service/support... crutchfield. Might have better luck and get a better price heading out to your local audio shop.. usually they don't sell at MSRP if you talk with them.

Ive heard Amazon is also an authorized internet vendor.. but im not sure if that means they have to sell it "sold by amazon" or if it applies to them selling it to you through another audio shop..

Nice.. there is finally a price up at amazon for the x920bt.. $940.. not bad.

Heres the actual list of authorized dealers...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/FindStore/Pioneer+Car+Audio+Video+Authorized+Internet+Dealers

I went to a local stereo shop yesterday, the folks there liked both Kenwood and Pioneer. The new models have not arrived yet, but I think I am down to these two based on the published features and prices:

- Pioneer X920BT

- Kenwood DNX7160

The fact that the Kenwood uses Garmin/NavTeq may be a plus.

Just to throw in my .02 - I ordered up a Pioneer z110bt...huge mistake. Pioneer almost immediately abandoned the product, no plans for future firmware upgrades, no navi upgrades, the traffic monitoring will be busted this time next year (because MSN is bailing) and they have no plans to update. The damn thing only came out in August. Every add-on is 100 bucks plus and you need add-ons for HD radio, ipod, satellite, msn direct, (the model down comes WITH the msn direct antenna) and the interface is buggy as hell and slows down more and more over time. Sometimes, the interface will take 10 to 15 seconds to change tracks on my ipod, unacceptable. The navigation is laughable, is very rarely accurate, and is now quite outdated (its only a few months old...HOW???). Typically the navi does not accurately pin-point the street I'm on, generally 2 to 4 block away. Then it snaps to the wrong street and says I need to make u-turns...until the map runs out of the incorrect street and the HU figures out where I'm actually at. Its pretty horrible. For a $1600 dollar piece at the time of purchase I feel like I've been burned big time.

In short, I'd recommend against Pioneer navi products. The hardware and sound quality are first rate but the software, support, and features (yeah it has plenty, but none of them work correctly) are goddamn awful. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with the spankin' new Apline unit, or a more basic unit and I could link up with my phone via bluetooth and use the Driod navi.

edit -- oh yeah, also it doesn't call out street names, just "turn right" not "turn right on...". So, for example, I'll be on the freeway and need to exit, but there are two or three off ramps right in a row; its nearly impossible to tell which one it wants to you get off on. All it says is "exit in N feet (or miles)", and its typically more than a few feet behind where I actually am.

Feel free to ask questions, I could bitch about this thing all day.

I was looking through some posts about the Z110BT (which may also apply to the upcoming X920) and it seems that you cannot search for POI's based on your current route. For example, show me the gas stations at the next exit. That seems fairly limiting for high end Nav products.

I wonder if the new Kenwoods (9960 and 7160) will support this sort of thing based on their Garmin roots?

I was looking through some posts about the Z110BT (which may also apply to the upcoming X920) and it seems that you cannot search for POI's based on your current route. For example, show me the gas stations at the next exit. That seems fairly limiting for high end Nav products.

I wonder if the new Kenwoods (9960 and 7160) will support this sort of thing based on their Garmin roots?

True, it is incredibly infuriating. Search for a POI and it returns everyone in the navi database - and it sorts them alphabetically...WHYYYYY!!!?? You can change the sort to distance with a minute of work, but you have to do it each time and the distance still has nothing to do with your route.

Anybody have any thing on the JVC brand. I know they are not top of the line but this unit [ame=http://www.amazon.com/JVC-Double-DIN-Navigation-Widescreen-Touch-Panel/dp/B001PL9WZC]Amazon.com: JVC KW-NT1 Double-DIN Navigation with 6.4-Inch[/ame] looks decent. Now i know that JVC is not known for the best sound, but it has good specs for the price! WHat do u guys think?

For those that might be considering buying Pioneer car gear from Amazon, I just got this from Pioneer customer service:

Thank you for your interest in our navigation units. While Amazon.com is an authorized Pioneer Internet Dealer for Home Products, they are not authorized for Car Electronics. Only products purchased from a Pioneer Authorized Dealer qualify for the manufacturer’s warranty. Additionally, any manufacturer’s rebates are only valid for purchases from an Authorized Pioneer Dealer.

Also, I love my Eclipse, but they have pulled out of the US Market as of January. They are honoring the 3yr warranty through parent company Fujitsu Ten, but accessories will be harder and harder to come by.

**oops...didn't fully read MaStaMooN's post.**

Pioneer AVIC Zseries. I have the AVIC-Z2 and it does everything you want except thumb drive, but really no need with the built in 10GB hardrive which stores the navigation and music library which u can copy from CD. Its 7" touch screen and IMHO is one of the best decks i have ever owned. I would strongly recommend satelite radio, i have been without satellite for 2 months and am having some serious withdrawls.

For those that might be considering buying Pioneer car gear from Amazon, I just got this from Pioneer customer service:

Thank you for your interest in our navigation units. While Amazon.com is an authorized Pioneer Internet Dealer for Home Products, they are not authorized for Car Electronics. Only products purchased from a Pioneer Authorized Dealer qualify for the manufacturer’s warranty. Additionally, any manufacturer’s rebates are only valid for purchases from an Authorized Pioneer Dealer.

most retailers which are authorized dealers will match prices on amazon.:p

I bought a Kenwood 9140 to install with my HCA Mod, and I love it. The Garmin based GPS is awsome, Bluetooth works awsome with my droid, (both audio and hands free phone) and it was the only head unit I could find at the time that had a decent (15band) EQ and some actual sound processing.. I can't believe most units over $1000 only had 3 band eqs and limited crossovers!

Archived