LegacyGT.com

Where to get Torx Plus TP50 bit?

RyanE

Hi folks,

My new clutch bits are on their way, and I'm planning on swapping the old unit out this weekend. Where is a good place to get the Torx Plus TP50 bit needed to remove the flywheel bolts? I understand Sears has them online, but I was hoping to buy it in a store.

Thanks!

Ryan

Perhaps a specialized tool shop? You will pay a little more for it. Like T&S tool here in Toledo, OH can probably get one in a days time. They might even have them in stock.

If you order from McMaster online they will arrive tomorrow probably. They deliver next day (ground) around the Cleveland area. I can order parts before 6:00 PM and still get them the next day before 10:00AM

McMaster part numbers

3/8" drive

6939A82

1/2" drive

5477A65

Yay for McMaster-Carr!

Part number 54305A34 is a fully Torx Plus compatible drive bit, for the small sum of $5.22.

Thanks CasopoliS - it should make it up to Michigan by tomorrow.

-Ryan

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did - I used the McMaster-Carr part number I posted. The bit is kind of cheap, however, and I'm not sure it would hold up to much more than two or three flywheel swaps. For $5, however, buy two!

-Ryan

• 2 months later...

Just to clarify:

Sears doesn't appear to have a T50+ bit available by itself. They have a couple of sets that range in price from $67 to $100.

The P/N's listed by Casopolis are for Torx bits, not Torx+.

The P/N listed by RyanE is a Torx+ bit.

Snap-on and other specialty tool manufacturers offer the T50+ but they're expensive. I found one place in my area that stocked a T50+ bit but they were out of stock.

NAPA offers a Torx+ set for $38, P/N NHT 6809.

Zeus, which bit did you end up using, Torx or Torx+?

Nope, tried Sears, Autozone, O'Reilly's, Pep Boys, Grainger, Harbor Freight, Northern, local specialty tool stores, etc. - only one specialty store and NAPA had it, specialty store was out of stock, NAPA only has it as part of a set and they had to order it from their warehouse.

Sprung for the NAPA set but I'll at least try the regular bit to see if it works. If I carefully parse Zeus's last post it sounds like he used the non+ bit. I do have the advantage of not having to break the factory install loose - I've already had the clutch and F/W changed once before.

No, no! I used the McMaster-Carr link somewhere here for Torx Plus part number 54305A34... car's been running great since then. Made a day out of the install with my two boys.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O846UI/ref=oss_product]Amazon.com: OTC 6191 3/8"" Drive Torx Plus Bit Socket TP50": Automotive[/ame]

That's from my order history at Amazon... It's the right bit, it worked great, but 'currently unavailable' now. I'm posting it anyway in case it comes back into stock later.

If you search the web for the manufacturer part number (OTC 6191) you'll find a lot of other places that carry it:

http://www.google.com/search?q=OTC+6191

All this obsessing over the T50, only to crack open the case and find...14mm hex head bolts! Guess the person who replaced my clutch the last time replaced these bolts as well. What I REALLY needed was the $^#&*@(^$ alignment tool!!!

Archived