LegacyGT.com

Slow build SMielke's Legacy GT

So far I plastidiped the rims black. I love the look of black rims on a black car. Right now I am in the process of doing my exhaust for right now I'm doing the cheapest thing possible and just doing the washer mod, until I can afford to buy my full exhaust. I have one bolt out and need to get either more cut off wheels for my dremel or buy a hack saw for the other three. I want to get all the supporting mods done before I go for the big power adders. Eventually I would like to upgrade to a ball bearing turbo and hopefully make around 350 to the wheels. I never thought it would take so long to get my exhaust off. I've tried pb blaster, I don't want to use heat since I don't want to take a chance of over heating and catching something on fire since this is my only car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My muffler to pipe nuts / bolt look completely rotten. This is a PNW car that never sees salt.

Good luck.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

Hey OP -- Why don't you let someone else do your mods and just shell out the cash for it -- Your car will be better off in the long run.

When I get further into it I will. I will do what I can and when I do take it to a shop I have a few buddies that work on Subarus in Ohio that I trust since I have seen their work. I don't want to "buy" my car I would rather "build" it. I like knowing what goes into my cars.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

that will come in handy over time.

If you want to DIY, you need a decent set of tools and jacks.

Harbor Fright is place to get DIY'ers tools from. Do you have a air compressor ?

Great investment for the long run.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I recently picked up a air saw at HF, $15.00 bought a set of blade for it. It made fast work of cutting the old muffler off my Ford F150. I was able to then hold it horizontal and cut through just the outter pipe that was slide oveer the exit end of the cat pipe without cutting into the cat pipe. The new muffler slide right on.

Air tools are great.

OP if you can invest in a good compressor.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I have a Harbor freight 2 gallon compressor. I just need to get some air tools and a garage to work in. Right now I am working in my apartments parking lot

2 gallon will not be big enough, but its a start.

I have a the Sears red 26 gallon at my house, I left the Sears black horizontal one at my son's house. I good compressor will run you like $300 or so. The black Sears one is very quiet.

But HF has good tools for us DIY'ers. Some of there compressors should work will too.

Also look around for a container of nut's bolts and washers to have around. You never know when your going to need something.

Exhaust nuts and bolts can be SAE or Metric, the hole don't care.

Also PB Blaster and Anti-Sieze compound are you best friends.

You may want to look in cosignment shops for old tools people are selling. I have odd tools around the house basement, both sheds, so I don't have to walk very far for basic tools. Hammers, pliers, screwdrivers. Picked up a lot of that stuff used.

I've been at this for a while, I'm 59y/o. I've learned.

I bought some grade 8 nuts and bolts for it. I am looking for a house with a garage that Is when I am going to start investing more in my tools. I have more stuff at my moms house just don't have a place to store my jacks and stands.

Good, at least you have a plan. Read on here, make a list of things you want to do, put prices with each item.

Everything you need to know is on here. Or just ask.

Get tuned, too. Your first $500 in mods should go toward an AP, or an open-source tune. I am biased because I own an AP, but at least with it, you get to take something with you and be able to log events on the car and diagnose problems as they occur. You can even find 'em used for about $350 on here, or your local CL.

How many miles on the car ?

You want to get the car off the stock MAP as soon as possible. If your good with a lap top. you can buy the cable and do everything AP can do.

Check out the Tuning forum sticky's. I think the cable is like $150

Archived