LegacyGT.com

Identifying heads.

How can i identify if i got a motor swapped from a 96gt as to a 97GT I know the heads are different and i've been searching i just cant seem to find anything.

ALSO the engine came with and IAC vs EGR, and exhaust that goes towards the front of the car and under the passenger side. (if that helps)

it would be nice to know if i should be running premium or not >.<

thanks.

What do the valve covers look like? Are there raised lines and the words "4 cam 16 valve" on it? Or are they just plane, smooth valve covers that say nothing? If the covers stayed with the engine they came with that will tell you.

"4 cam 16 valve" would mean 96

Plane and smooth would mean 97 to 99

Is your car a 5 speed or 4EAT?

And as far as the exhaust, what you describe sounds the like the exhaust manifolds of a turbo car..

whats the intake look like? does it have a box or no? another difference is like you said the heads. you could pop a head cover off and look.

the intake is the old one from my 97 engine with the big box.

Is your car a 5 speed or 4EAT?

And as far as the exhaust, what you describe sounds the like the exhaust manifolds of a turbo car..

yeah its a 4eat, and i have the manifold here beside me.

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo318/Szustygesto/IMG_2713.jpg

Kenny, where on the covers would i find this?

They have to be modified in order to be efficiently powered by a turbo. Did you figure out what engine you had? And I assume is NA, then?

The exhaust is just kind of baffling to me.. I've never seen an NA 2.5 with that kind of exhaust manifold before..

It looks like an EJ20 turbo manifold. Exact same stock manifold I have on my EJ20G... I think. They'd bolt right up to the block but the rest of the stock exhaust wouldn't match. Probably did a custom exhaust from there...
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Nope! It's probably just a manifold that was laying around and whomever did the motor work used it. It's not a big deal unless you plan on ordering pre-fabricated exhaust parts. They won't fit. Or, you could buy a different aftermarket header and have your exhaust put back to stock. *shrug* Honestly, I would just leave it as it is.

Yeah. It looks like that one IS aiming up. I suppose it might not be. *shrug* The angle is a bit of a throw off.

For sure. My engine is the JDM Version II STi, so I would expect the turbo manifold. I have no doubt they'd use the same manifold on an NA and just change the manifold-back piping. Why not?

For sure. My engine is the JDM Version II STi, so I would expect the turbo manifold. I have no doubt they'd use the same manifold on an NA and just change the manifold-back piping. Why not?

Makes sense.

Archived