LegacyGT.com

Torque box question

I see a lot of people removing their torque boxes and then complain they got no low end torque.

Putting on a CAI and high flow filter etc.., but I think the NA engine doesn't really need this, and if you ask me, it just isn't as beneficial if you only gain a bit of speed on the high RPM range - if there is any gain at all.

I was thinking about doing the opposite and I learned this when I owned A 190E Benz. I got a high flow custom intake on it, and the car reacted horribly for the removing of the big filter+torque box, that sits on top of the throttle body.

So did anyone try putting on a larger torque box or perhaps having more space allocated for more extra air, like on the intake pipe?

Something like this,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-CARBON-FIBER-RAM-AIR-FILTER-BOX-FLEXIBLE-PIPE-TUBE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aSubaruQQhashZitem2eb681064eQQitemZ200630404686QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

but lets assume that big can is empty and somehow attach it, while retaining the torque box and the filter box at the same time, plus that big can in the middle of the intake pipe?

Its like the orig BMC intake . But that cost much more den this. My thoughts is that there isn't any need to remove the torque box at all. Just remove the bottle below the filter box and use a long tubing and exit thru the wheel well area

And u have a 2nd intake. In the end u are still restricted by the throttle body. It can only take in that much air

I've noticed that, I guess they wanted find the optimal size and being so restricted must come from the idea of the balance between fuel consumption vs. power.

Archived