LegacyGT.com

MPG for 2.5 Turbo Engine -- 2005 model

Hi guys,

I have a 2.5XT Outback but I think the engine is the same in the Turbo Legacy Wagon, from 2005. Mine is from that year

Anyways I saw on my dealerslip that the MPG is stated by Subaru 22 City/ 28 Highway

I am getting consistenly for 4 months now, I just bought the car from another owner, 14-17 City and NEVER more than 22 on the highway.

If I put it in cruise control at 72 mph, and its under the 2500 rpm point which I heard was when Turbo kicks in, and im on the free for 5 hours straight.... 22/23 MPG with premium gas.

Why such a difference ?? has anyone gotten 25-26-27 MPG out of there 05 or similar wagon with 2.5 Turbo V4 engine?

P

Where exactly did you see the figure of 22/28? Even with the old ratings the Legacy/Outback turbo's were only rated at 19/25 or something like that. With the new EPA rating the turbo's are rated at 17/23. There are plenty of mpg threads on the board and your mileage numbers are not unusual.

I was getting consistent 15-17mpg in my LGT when I bought it and then I bought the AP and have been around 22-27mpg.. maybe you need to just disconnect the batter for a bit and reset the ECU... or buy an AP.. they are on sale through a vendor on here I think.. I also did change the Air Filter...

Anyways I saw on my dealerslip that the MPG is stated by Subaru 22 City/ 28 Highway

Was that the EPA estimates on the window ticket or something a sales rep told you?

I can't believe those figures.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2004/11/04/272654.html

The gov't issued estimates for a 2005 XT were 19/24/20 (city/hwy/observed)

I just went on a trip across state and managed 28 one way and 30 the other way. I have an 07 LGT Manual Sedan. I was trying pretty hard to limit throttle input. I also have SI drive which when set to sissy mode actually helped limit how much throttle was used. Around town I can barely break 20 mpg.

Maybe try new plugs/air filter/reset ecu. If that doesn't help, check your compression on the motor if thats possible.

I have an 05 LGT manual and can easily get 26mpg at 80mph. I average 23-24 in mixed driving and have never dropped below 22 for an entire tank. Totally stock except for summer tires and synthetic oil...

wow, that's fantastic fuel economy

I have a 2.5i 5MT and average (mixed) 25-26 mpg

All highway cruising at 65-75 mph on cruise control I can get 32 mpg

the forrester is probably heavier than the LGT. It also has a different turbo (wrx turbo iirc) and like a 4:11 gear ratio.

I'd say thats not bad at all to get 22 on the interstate with it.

My 05 LGT cruising always below 80 averages 25mpg with the 5EAT. city driving I get between 18-21 depending on how heavy my foot is.

also.. the technicality of it being a "v4" engine would make most people say its actually an "H4" boxer engine. Which.. is true but I read on here somewhere that the cylinders are just a little bit of a V shape so.. I guess you could say that.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Depends how hard you drive it, but your numbers don't sound terribly off. A lot depends on how you drive it. My computer display has been showing 21.9 pretty steadily since I got the car a year ago. Although, my clutch was going out, and I reset my trip meter and while I was driving the car much easier than usual, my average milage went up to 23.9, mixed city/highway. With the new clutch and more spirited driving, I went back down to 22.2.

For a little over a year I have been getting 22-24 . That is combined city/highway and I check every tank. Accessport definitely helped by around 2 mpg (makes the Leggy more efficient) . I'll have my acccessport up for sale (05-06 model years) in a few weeks as I will be going to open source tuning.

Check air filter, replace plugs, do a throttle body cleaner, check tire pressures, use better gas, reset ECU, lots of things you can do to get better MPG..

I left Pittsburgh area yesterday for Frederick MD, and I got over 26 MPG which included my climb over the mountains on RT30 towards Breezewood, which is very good IMO.. I've seen as good as 29MPG over streches of 300+ highway miles & my average daily has never been less then 18MPG..

im also automatic... can anyone offer an idea why im losing 5-6 MPG on this car thanks

P

Stage 2 gets better mileage the stock. I sounds wierd but, true. I gained about 5mpg over stock with my stage 2 and K&N typhoon intake I got @27mpg and still made 277whp. When I was breaking in my 20g 2.4" and 7cm and running only WG(10psi) and had stock injectors, TGV deletes, APS inlet and EWG. I got 32mpg. Now I added walbro fp and 830 modded injectors. On a round trip to San Diego I got 26 mpg doing 75-80 mph for 220 miles(that includes chasing down a new M5 along the way;)). While making @340whp.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Stage 2 gets better mileage the stock. I sounds wierd but, true.

This is something I like to read!! I am still searching for a decent LGT wagon, and one of the only negatives I have is the MPG for a 4 cylinder (I know its a turbo, AWD, but I am cross shopping against an A4 Avant, I know its less power, but an APR chip gets it close to stock LGT power, and that gets about 3-4MPG more than the LGT). I realistically want to at least match the MPG that I currently get in my Maxima (about 24-25MPG mixed driving, average speed 35MPH).

The fact that if I go to stage 2 will give me better mileage than stock, is very helpful, and may also help persuade the wife that we need stage 2.

This is something I like to read!! I am still searching for a decent LGT wagon, and one of the only negatives I have is the MPG for a 4 cylinder (I know its a turbo, AWD, but I am cross shopping against an A4 Avant, I know its less power, but an APR chip gets it close to stock LGT power, and that gets about 3-4MPG more than the LGT). I realistically want to at least match the MPG that I currently get in my Maxima (about 24-25MPG mixed driving, average speed 35MPH).

The fact that if I go to stage 2 will give me better mileage than stock, is very helpful, and may also help persuade the wife that we need stage 2.

honestly if you are fighting for that last 1-2 mpg and cannot afford to be getting 18-20mpg then you should seriously consider getting whatever else you want because spending 500+ atleast on getting to stage two to get a few mpgs better would be less cost efficient than buying another car that gets 3-4mpg better.. I mean seriously if you are struggling to afford 15-20 dollars every few weeks then you aren't going to be happy when your turbo goes out at 60K like mine or if you plan on going stage 2 you are going to have to save your money for more than a year to get enough to buy the right stuff.. I'm talking full CBE and AP and dp stuff.. if you are trying to get talked into buying an LGT then this is the site for that but also you need to make sure your not living beyond your means.. when you buy this car you are going to want to put your foot into it and drive like it needs to be driven.. now this is enough to drop your mpg's to lower than expected.. be advised expecting an LGT to compete with your Maxima's MPG is not really fair..

honestly if you are fighting for that last 1-2 mpg and cannot afford to be getting 18-20mpg then you should seriously consider getting whatever else you want because spending 500+ atleast on getting to stage two to get a few mpgs better would be less cost efficient than buying another car that gets 3-4mpg better.. I mean seriously if you are struggling to afford 15-20 dollars every few weeks then you aren't going to be happy when your turbo goes out at 60K like mine or if you plan on going stage 2 you are going to have to save your money for more than a year to get enough to buy the right stuff.. I'm talking full CBE and AP and dp stuff.. if you are trying to get talked into buying an LGT then this is the site for that but also you need to make sure your not living beyond your means.. when you buy this car you are going to want to put your foot into it and drive like it needs to be driven.. now this is enough to drop your mpg's to lower than expected.. be advised expecting an LGT to compete with your Maxima's MPG is not really fair..

I am not so much fighting for a couple extra MPG, as I am pretty much sold on the LGT anyway. I think its more that I am just surprised at how low the MPG figures really are.

Having said that, I know that if Subaru made a 3.0R Legacy Wagon, then I would be all over it. I really don't want an Outback, and the Legacy sedan does not tick a lot of the boxes for me.

so whats the consensus.. my numbers are in fact really low?

22 highway.. 15 city

No, maybe a little low but not too bad. The car is currently EPA rated for 18 city, 24 highway. You're not too far off.

I have averaged 22-23 MPG overall over 20,000 miles in my first year of ownership for my '08 Outback XT with manual transmission.

Archived