LegacyGT.com

Help with top nut on KW Variant 2's

sutter2k

I currently have clunking in the front(didn't do the back yet).

I am curious how does one you tighten the top nut down?

The strut assembly spins while trying to tighten it. In addition, it doesn't use an allen wrench like the stock shocks.

Is there a special tool for these?

Thanks

Matt

Yeah, it will. I mean, the rod will spin a little but the nut will spin more.

In fact once it's tightened down a little with the impact wrench, the rod won't spin anymore and then you can take a torque wrench to it to torque it properly.

• 1 year later...

I just installed my fronts... Had to use the impact wrench on the top nut as well. Tried using the torque wrench afterwards but it still spun.

I was afraid to tighten it too hard as the instructions say not to use one as it will void the warranty, so I tightened it just enough for the small top piece of the rod to come up past the rubber surround of the nut.

What does everybody else's look like and how far did you tighten yours?

Just use the impact gun and don't worry about it. It won't hurt them. The rod will spin, but the nut will tighten down. Stop when you get the characteristic change in sound from the impact gun of a fastener being tight. You really can't overtorque it because the rod will spin.

Just use the impact gun and don't worry about it. It won't hurt them. The rod will spin, but the nut will tighten down. Stop when you get the characteristic change in sound from the impact gun of a fastener being tight. You really can't overtorque it because the rod will spin.

Awesome. So there really is no way to check torque? About how far should the piston come up past the nut? On the front it comes up about 5 mm. I did the same on the back then it was bouncing around. I'll be tightening them up tomorrow when I get back to my shop. I just want to make sure I do the right thing cause these babies are a pain and also expensive!

uhh.....strap wrench people? keeps the shaft from spinning, and you won't snap the top nut.

- Andrew

Where do you get one? I already have them set and they are doing killer now. I just used the impact wrench til it was tight and now it's good!

You're fine. Leave them alone. The strap wrench is a great idea for guys who don't have good air tools, but since you do, there is no reason not to take advantage of them. Carefully used, tightening the top nut with an air impact gun won't cause any harm and is a ton faster and easier.

Archived