LegacyGT.com

nonUSDM nav users - input please - 100% off topic

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just messing with ya Subie, you see, the USA is such a big ass place that sometimes Americans forget that there are cool people and places out there and the USA is just another piece of the puzzle and not the box it comes in. It's kind of a little chip I have on my shoulder being a "resident alien"

You're an alien alright. The boards I regulared before this were generally mostly people from the U.S., so it takes a little getting used to the outside inluence. That other point of view and background can really help bring things to a new perspective. :)

[quote name='gtmy04']I wouldn't even admit being thought of as a Pom![/quote] You sound just like an Aussie mate of mine I met while in London, poor bastard is still there and had to live through the last World Cup. Fact of the matter is you get used to the ignorance, someone once asked me if New Zealand was a state in Canada

[quote name='Gumby'][quote name='gtmy04']I wouldn't even admit being thought of as a Pom![/quote] You sound just like an Aussie mate of mine I met while in London, poor bastard is still there and had to live through the last World Cup. Fact of the matter is you get used to the ignorance, someone once asked me if New Zealand was a state in Canada[/quote] No problem there for me - Aussie Rules is my game; international anonymity does have its advantages. Best comment I had in the US, when I introduced myself as an Australian, was that I spoke very good English considering German is the native language in Australia! By the way, Gumby, is that Santa Cruz California? I spent a couple of weeks there with a company called Raytek a few years back. Very nice place!

[quote]Best comment I had in the US, when I introduced myself as an Australian, was that I spoke very good English considering German is the native language in Australia![/quote] You know, it's comments like that that make me embarassed to be an American some times. I used to live in Tokyo, and I would purposely avoid other Americans while I was there. Are people in Australia as ignorant of other cultures as Americans are?

[quote name='Tin_pusher'][quote]Best comment I had in the US, when I introduced myself as an Australian, was that I spoke very good English considering German is the native language in Australia![/quote] You know, it's comments like that that make me embarassed to be an American some times. I used to live in Tokyo, and I would purposely avoid other Americans while I was there. Are people in Australia as ignorant of other cultures as Americans are?[/quote] Is that sort of like how I always say common sense isn't real common (between 10-25% of people have it based on how many stupid things I see and hear on a daily basis.) Americans just seem really stupid in general IMO. I'm 100% born in the USA too. Just want to hide sometimes because a majority of the others seem so stupid most of the time. Hate to be grouped with them just for being a citizen. You might want to rename this thread, International Comparison Thread. ;)

I just think that the fundamental problem with too many Americans is that they don't go anywhere. If you look at the size of the U.S. vs the size of Europe, it's easy to see why on average, Europeans experience more different cultures than Americans do. Yes, there is the "melting pot" myth of America, but in fact, though America has a great many ethnicities and religions existing within its borders, the default setting of Americans tends to be xenophobia...they like to hang with their own kind. This is unfortunate, and leads to the kind of ignorance (rather than stupidity, which implies inability to learn, rather than lack of knowledge) that too many Americans exhibit. Every year, my wife and I go to France. The country is welcoming and friendly, as far as our experience goes, but we speak French. We have also noticed, whether in small-town, rural France or larger cities such as Paris, Montpellier or even mid-sized cities such as Perpignan, a comfort level with differences in skin tone that I only wish existed in America. There are dark-skinned, dreadlocked folks hanging with typical Frenchmen, hanging with Spaniards, hanging with more Anglo-looking types. And it's all good. I think that if Americans just traveled more---people I know who travel a lot don't have any of the misconceptions that the average American has---they would be better about understanding, accepting and dealing with cultural and national differences. Because traveling teaches you to submit to a culture. Americans go to Paris once, refuse to learn or speak French, come back, and tell everyone how rude and mean the French are. :lol: As I said to one guy, what if a Frenchman came to Boston, and demanded that you speak French to him...what would you think. And if further, he simply spoke French more loudly to you, in an effort to get you to "understand." Americans just need to get out more. :D Kevin

I guess this is a bump until somebody w/ nav. sees and posts. I've definitely appreciated living outside the US for about the last 6 years. People ask where the island of Costa Rica is. I have a friend who had to call a tech person in the US and told them that he was in Panama City, Panama. "what state is that in?" :roll: The culturally blind state of most americans is something that I feel is going to be hard to go back to. I'm sure there will be places to seek out a more international group just as I am part of that down here.

[quote name='gtmy04'][quote name='PPower']I guess this is a bump until somebody w/ nav. sees and posts.[/quote] Seems to me it has a lot to do with navigation! :roll:[/quote] :lol: OK, I'll write about nav. We have the new models here, but there's no navigation maps for any car down here, and I SWEAR that it is needed here more than any other place. Street addresses would really help.

How is the DVD nav work in other countries, does it work with GPS or what? Why can't they fit in a good Garmin or similar high-quality GPS-nav unit? Seems to me something like this (at least for features) mounted in the center console would be the ticket. [url]http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap276c/#[/url] And it's less than $800. I know it's more marine-based probably, but just an idea.

[quote name='gtmy04']By the way, Gumby, is that Santa Cruz California? I spent a couple of weeks there with a company called Raytek a few years back. Very nice place![/quote] Yep, Santa Cruz, California. It's a great place to live but very expensive, like the San Francisco Bay Area in general. [quote name='gtguy']Americans go to Paris once, refuse to learn or speak French, come back, and tell everyone how rude and mean the French are.[/quote] How True and it's not just Americans, in general the English have the same attitude but then there's centuries of history there as well. I've been to Paris several times and never had a problem with the French. I don't speak the language well enough to use it without confusing matters more so therefore don't try. One of the best sights I've seen in Paris is when Scotland is playing Rugby against France in Paris, there are literally thousands of Scots roaming around Paris wearing Kilts.

I agree that Americans are generally ignorant, but at least when they travel overseas they seem to somewhat respectful. The absolute worst people I've met are British. They have about the same ignorance matched with arrogance and condescension. It's like a complete disdain for the place they're at. It was like this in every country I've been to: Italy, Greece, Egypt and extensively around the US. Even when they visit the US, I find them to be exceedingly rude seemingly to me to mask their insecurity. Germans are the friendliest and most knowledgeable I find. I've met dozens and haven't met any any that weren't friendly. Maybe its to make up for history... Steve

Archived