LegacyGT.com

How long does you outside temp take to read?

Okay, since just about everyone focused on the hvac part of my previous post, I'll try this again.

If I pull my 08 Leggy out of the garage where it is cool, and drive outside where it's easily 20 degrees warmer, it takes my outside display on the dash probably 20-30 minutes before it comes up to near the right temperature. The dealer said "yeah, they are slow"... but 20-30 minutes!!??

How long does yours take to respond to temperature changes?

20-30 seems a tad long.. but id say easily 10 mins here. It seems to remember the temperature of my garage, and the tick the degrees as needed one by one. Happy just to have it really, It is nice to keep an eye on the lower/mid 30s to see when ice is possible.

I had mine stay on the same number for days last winter.....the temperature was obviously changing daily but the "Outside temp" display never moved. I took it to the dealer to have it checked and they told me that the display is actually distance related and so it will not change with a series of very short drives.....I took it for a drive on the freeway (About 15 Km) and sure enough it started working normally right away......seems a little bogus but there is no doubt that mine changes very readily on long hauls but sometimes stay on the same number for a long time if I don't drive too far...... My local golf course is 2.5 Km from my house and it NEVER changes on that trip. For what it's worth the dealer tech says it takes about 5-8 Km to trigger the change.;)

OP you have a SpecB so it must be correct. ;)

I don't have a garage but do live in a area that is normally 6-7F cooler then when I get to the top of the hill about a mile away.

Both cars will change temps with in a 1/4 mile.

I see this everyday on my drive to work and even coming home in the afternoon. As I coast down the hill I can watch the temp drop.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Mine doesn't seem to be accurate... It takes at least 15 min or so before it'll give a semi-accurate reading and I can't trust it till I get to work which is a 22.5mile drive.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Started the car in the driveway, read 44F, rolled down the 125ft drive to the street, picked up the paper from the paper tube, put the car in gear, drove past the third house, now it reads 43F.

Got to the top of the hill 1 mile to the west of the house, now it reads 47F.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
As a follow-up.....Finally got it to the dealer today, I stood my ground that it was not "normal" (thanks to the feedback from everyone here) so they took a look at it and then said they did eventually witness the sensor sticking, so they replaced it. Thanks everyone.

My 05 exterior temp is consistently high in readings. Sounds like I may need to replace the sensor. Does anyone have part# and or instructions for that? From a previous post this sounds easy and low cost. A search of the forums wasn't much help though in exactly how that is done. All help appreciated.

Archived