LegacyGT.com

Vehicle Speed Sensor V.S.S.

Alright, so I just bought my '06 Subaru Legacy (Auto trans.) yesterday and this is my first time buying a Subaru so I was really excited to buy it. Today though I was traveling down the highway at 50 mph (with numerous potholes) and all of a sudden the ABS and CHECK ENGINE light come on with the CRUISE light flashing on and off. I pull over in to a parking lot and let it idle a bit before turning it off. I turn it on again and the ABS and CRUISE lights are off but the C.E. light is still on. So I manage to get home and I plug my OBDII scanner in and I get "Vehicle Speed Sensor" code, so my stupid thinking was, "okay, no big deal, *erase*" Big mistake, I start the car up and it runs for a second, but when it goes to the idling RPM range, it dies. I start it again but with the gas pedal depressed slightly and I keep the car running. So now changing from Neutral to Reverse or Drive is quite a task. Any suggestions? I really love this car but if it's a lemon I'm not afraid to get in the dealer's face about it. :(

The VSS should not be causing the car to not idle properly. Sounds like there are multiple problems.

The VSS will cause the car to go in limp mode. I assume the following lights are on:

ABS, VDC, Check Engine, and Cruise Control?

I see, well the car was one owner only (a woman) so I figured she kept it good shape or had someone else do it, plus the car was clearly babied so I bought it. Now I'm thinking that she got rid of it because of all these shenanigans.

• I Donated
Well, act as if your battery was disconnected and your map was reset. Does your idle not run lower? I know mine always did in the LGT and still does in the WRX.

It runs slightly lower, but I have never had the car stall out as a result. I have never had to keep the accelerator depressed to get it to idle at all.

Well, that part is true, but the car is definitely more susceptible to stalling when getting into 1st. Mine goes extremely low after I take it out of first or second coming to a stop too (after the map is reset). It always does this, until I do a Vishnu Reset.

Either way, his car will run like absolute poo until that sensor is replaced.

Yep all the lights come on ABS, CHECK ENGINE, and CRUISE. Although, when I restart the car the ABS light turns off, it turns on though after a certain amount of driving. My car is not equipped with VDC so that light doesn't come on.

In response to thefultonhow, after the car has been running for awhile, it manages to hold an idle position although just above zero (there's actually a little mark above zero and the needle hovers just above that but always below one.) You can hear the engine stumble a bit before it manages to self regulate. Also, when on the freeway, there is vibration in the steering wheel, could that have triggered the problem?

Alright just got back from the dealership last monday, they replaced the intake valve solenoid ($141) and "re-mounted" the front-left vehicle speed sensor. Total cost (including labor) came to $383. Thankfully I didn't have to pay a dime. Now the cars runs perfect again. :)

Archived