LegacyGT.com

What pads for PC?

Getting a Porter Cable today at Lowes. The 7346SP. From what I've read it's the same as the 7424XP, just includes different accessories.

What are the must have pads? So many damn colors. I also have some swirls to remove.

Autogeek.net has a great selection of pads. I use them because they put a really good description under each one. Color matters not. A blue pad is not the same abrasiveness across all manufacturers of pads, so don't get too hung up on the color. Just read the description and get the pads that you need.

It is a combination of pad and product, by the way. I get 90% of what I do done with two pads. A blue Edge2000 pad and a white Edge2000 pad. The blue one I use for polishing swirls/cleaning the paint and the white one I use for applying sealants and waxes. However, even though my swirl removal is being done with one pad, sometimes it takes three or four different levels of cutting polish to get the swirls all out. So remember that you need a selection of polishes too. For the paint on the 2005 Legacy I can tell you that the Poorboy's SSR products work great. SSR2 and SSR1 will get rid of most of your swirls when used properly. There are lots of other products which will too, but it sounds like you are just looking for some clear recommendations, so there you go. :)

And before you get the 7336, consider ordering it online from coastaltool.com. You can get the 7424XP with the backing plate for $119 shipped. It can't be much more than getting the 7336 at Lowes and you won't have to worry about getting another backing plate and counterweight. Just something to think about...

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I have the Wolfgang Interior/Exterior kit. I'd need pads for the polish enhancer, and 3.0 sealant, and swirl remover. So a cutting pad, polish pad, and a finish pad?

Everything except the doors on the drivers side, and the roof were painted in early May. Hood had some swirls. Can't find others, although the car is filthy right now thanks to pollen.

I have only used mine once, and I'm far from an expert.

But, I'd deffinitely look into getting it online. I got my 7424xp on autogeek.net which came with 2 sets of 3 different pads (cutting, polishing, finishing) with a backing plate, plus a guide on how to use the pads, and a dvd on how to use the PC.

See.... that is why I love the Autogeek guys. They are all about the education. Even if you don't buy from them, they have massive amounts of it on their site to help you make a decision. And then when you do buy from them they send you a ton of additional training. Definitely my type of people. :)

OCDETAILS BLOG

See.... that is why I love the Autogeek guys. They are all about the education. Even if you don't buy from them, they have massive amounts of it on their site to help you make a decision. And then when you do buy from them they send you a ton of additional training. Definitely my type of people. :)

i agree

• 2 weeks later...
I was interested in trying out the edge 2000 pads, but it seems I cannot find the 6" pads. Anyone have a recommendation on where to buy them?

Check out the link: http://www.autogeek.net/edge20006.html

Don't forget you'll also need the adapter.

I've been using the edge pads with great success for many years based on the recommendation of OCDetails.

About a year ago another professional detailer buddy of mine said I should try out the LC 4" pads. I've used the pads on several cars and the results have been dramatic. (see the Testarossa detail thread I put up)

I tried autogeek, but it says not orderable.

Edit:

Found some at detailking.com

I tried some 4" pads once, I forget where I got them but they didn't give me as good results as my 6" pads.

I sure hope not. I just blew through another Blue pad (5 years old) and need to get some more. I'm down to 3 blues and two whites. I rarely use the yellow or orange or green. In fact, I don't know where my green is.... I may need to put my velcro adapter back on the FLEX soon if I don't get some new EDGE pads.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I sure hope not. I just blew through another Blue pad (5 years old) and need to get some more. I'm down to 3 blues and two whites. I rarely use the yellow or orange or green. In fact, I don't know where my green is.... I may need to put my velcro adapter back on the FLEX soon if I don't get some new EDGE pads.

Yeah, I have a green pad that hasn't even been pulled out of the packaging. I have a white/blue pad that I've had forever and it's pretty much dead. I haven't seen dual sided pads for a long time. Can you still get them?

I'm not sure. After 3M bought Aaron's business, I'm sure several things changed. He still works for them designing new stuff and making the EDGE pads, but 3M calls the shots, so they might have killed the mix-n-match pads.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Pads are tough to find. An auto paint supply shop may have some, but that is it. You will probably have to order those online.

The Meguiar's Ultimate compound works pretty well. You can find that at auto zone. You'll have more options if you can find a 3M or Meguiars distributer.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I'm sure theres some technique that I didnt pick up on, but my buddy with his black a4 and my obp lgt washed cars today, i had picked up the meg's professional medium and a light pad (not the buffing one, although i picked that up as well) and just gave my new PC a test run on my trunk....i flung EVERYWHERE lol despite keeping it level and the obvious on/off.

lol yeah, that is something you learn pretty quick. You want to be sure to never raise the machine off the paint while it is spinning. It may just be a matter of either using less product, or using the product you have longer. You'll figure it out though. :)

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived