LegacyGT.com

'97 BG Leggy Springs

eekay

Anyone have any recommendations as to where I can find some springs, coilovers, etc... for my '97 GT Assault Wagon? I can't seem to find anything anywhere. Lots of spring setups for the BD/BK/BL, etc... Will these springs fit and work okay with spacers to avoid "saggy butt?"
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

• 4 weeks later...
You can also use WRX wagon springs since there stiffer than WRX sedan springs(or STi springs if you can find them). Struts can come from either WRX sedans or wagons(im running sedan struts from an 06 on a 98 BG). Saggy butt spacers can be purchased from paranoid fabrications depending on what you want(I went with 1/2 in spacers worked really well)

You can also use WRX wagon springs since there stiffer than WRX sedan springs(or STi springs if you can find them). Struts can come from either WRX sedans or wagons(im running sedan struts from an 06 on a 98 BG). Saggy butt spacers can be purchased from paranoid fabrications depending on what you want(I went with 1/2 in spacers worked really well)

Do the WRX Wagon Springs lower it at all?

Hey i thought you were already running D2 coilovers?

I have the D2's on my '99 LGTL turbo sedan. I also have a '97 LGT wagon. :) I already have some H&R's that fit the Sedan, but I'm not sure if they'll fit on the wagon, for one. And if they do, I'll most likely need spacers to avoid "saggy butt." I'll figure it out when I get the chance though.

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Will struts from newer Leg GTs work on BG's too?? I have a '96 OB and am looking to do some lowering and I've had no luck finding anything besides KYB GR-2s. :spin:

Will struts from newer Leg GTs work on BG's too?? I have a '96 OB and am looking to do some lowering and I've had no luck finding anything besides KYB GR-2s. :spin:

Uptill 1999 the struts were the same as the WRX struts...Newer GT's have different rear suspension setup. For a 96 and if your looking for some lowering, WRX wagon struts and wagon springs from the same yr are pretty decent(and cheap)...but if your gonna mix and match springs/strut combos, make sure they fit right and work.

Do the WRX Wagon Springs lower it at all?

I myself went with 06 STi Springs so i dont know exactly if the WRX wagon springs lower it...

before:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/bharatman/IMG_0084.jpg

after lowering(06 WRX sedan struts+06 STi springs +spacers)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/bharatman/IMG_1569.jpg

outbacksrt8: I dont know exactly, but if i remember correctly it went down a couple inches(mind you the outback springs were taller too). Handling was alot better, no longer wobbling around and it was pretty stiff. I had already replaced my front seats with WRX ones, so the comfort was better. The ride is good depending on the pavement....after I lowered the car I went to the Bay Area for the summer and it gave me a new feeling for shitty road works. I can feel every rut, bump, uneven pavement and even the slats in between concrete slabs.

It took me a span of three months to cover everything. Struts came to be 75.00 for all 4 of them. The STi springs were from a dude off of Iclub.com for 70.00 but he had been lowballed so many times, he cut me a deal and got it for 60.00. Spacers were from Paranoidfabrications.com and they were the 1/2" spacers out of HDPE (20.00). Then the rear tophats and all those other wonderful suspension bits(shrouds, bumpstops) came out to 60.00.

outbacksrt8: I dont know exactly, but if i remember correctly it went down a couple inches(mind you the outback springs were taller too). Handling was alot better, no longer wobbling around and it was pretty stiff. I had already replaced my front seats with WRX ones, so the comfort was better. The ride is good depending on the pavement....after I lowered the car I went to the Bay Area for the summer and it gave me a new feeling for shitty road works. I can feel every rut, bump, uneven pavement and even the slats in between concrete slabs.

It took me a span of three months to cover everything. Struts came to be 75.00 for all 4 of them. The STi springs were from a dude off of Iclub.com for 70.00 but he had been lowballed so many times, he cut me a deal and got it for 60.00. Spacers were from Paranoidfabrications.com and they were the 1/2" spacers out of HDPE (20.00). Then the rear tophats and all those other wonderful suspension bits(shrouds, bumpstops) came out to 60.00.

To use the STI springs do you have to use the wrx struts? OR will they work with the outback specfic KYB GR2 struts?

What would you reccomend for a minimal drop 1-1.5".

What spacers did you get from paranoidfabs the ones for the legacy or impreza?

The outback struts should work fine, although the springs are what lower the car not the struts. As long as there outback struts or even WRX sedan struts should be fine, although rear camber might be an issue, although i have the camber bolts, i havent been able to get them in during an alignment, which is due soon...

If your looking for a drop on an Outback, you can go with lots of options depends what you want. I went with stiffness and ride feel as I drive long distances and wanted something not that wallowly than the outback suspension . If you want a 1-1.5 drop look into maybe KYB struts for the GT wagon plus H&R springs or if you want OEM stuff look into WRX struts + WRX wagon springs(STi springs work, but might be a bit stiff and when fully loaded with 4-5 people in the car the bottom scrapes on parking entrances...)

The spacers I used were for the impreza since my rear tophats came off a WRX wagon and the spacers fit exactly(and worked perfectly)

thanks for the help, if i get the wrx wagon specific springs it will lower in about an inch or so right, then if i go with the eibach pro kit springs for the wrx wagon in will lower it 2 or more inches total since the pro kit is an inch or so lower than the stock wrx wagon springs correct?

The outback struts should work fine, although the springs are what lower the car not the struts. As long as there outback struts or even WRX sedan struts should be fine, although rear camber might be an issue, although i have the camber bolts, i havent been able to get them in during an alignment, which is due soon...

If your looking for a drop on an Outback, you can go with lots of options depends what you want. I went with stiffness and ride feel as I drive long distances and wanted something not that wallowly than the outback suspension . If you want a 1-1.5 drop look into maybe KYB struts for the GT wagon plus H&R springs or if you want OEM stuff look into WRX struts + WRX wagon springs(STi springs work, but might be a bit stiff and when fully loaded with 4-5 people in the car the bottom scrapes on parking entrances...)

The spacers I used were for the impreza since my rear tophats came off a WRX wagon and the spacers fit exactly(and worked perfectly)

I think iv made my mind up on struts which will be kyb, but if im lowering it should I get the outback specific ones or the legacy or wrx wagon ones. Becasue wont it be out of its normal rang of movement since im lowering it or wont that be an issue? I looked at tirerack for H&R springs for the outback and they dont have anything, which specfic model of H&R springs should I get, which ones were you reffering too?

Archived