LegacyGT.com

'08 Spec B Up pipe & Down Pipe Questions

Hi,

I bought an '08 Spec B in June but just now found this forum. I'm looking to do some upgrades to get some more out of the engine. I've already put STi Springs, AVO TMIC, and Fujitsubo Cat-back on the car and was looking at the up pipe next to try and speed up the turbo spooling speed.

1. After searching on this forum for a while now I and confused about whether or not my '08 Spec B has a CAT in the up pipe or not? If it does not have a CAT does that mean it also is missing the EGT sensor and I don't need to worry about the resistor mod if I change it?

2. Also, if I get a single High Flow Catted DP and replace the stock one with it, will I still throw a CEL from eliminating one of the two CATs?

3. Finally what kind of gains would I get from switching it out, anything substantial? I know big gains are to be had on the '05/'06 but I can't find much detail on the newer '07+ Spec B's.

Thanks for any help. I love this site. Problem is it just shows me how much nicer my car CAN get. :lol:

welcome to the site!

I just bought a 2009 GT Limited and was wondering the same thing. I'm going to go with the borla CBE and the Cobb high flow cat downpipe. Any one know? I also think I need to reflash my stage 1. I'm having an issue with throttle control. It's jumping under light throttle pressure.

07's & up do not have a cat in the up-pipe if memory serves me correctly. I'll be picking up an '08 Spec B on Sunday. I haven't had much time to research much regarding the 07-09 LGTs, what maps are you using for your AP? (Just curious)

07's & up do not have a cat in the up-pipe if memory serves me correctly. I'll be picking up an '08 Spec B on Sunday. I haven't had much time to research much regarding the 07-09 LGTs, what maps are you using for your AP? (Just curious)

I'm running a Tuning Alliance stage1 map now. Hoping to get a dp soon and go stage2.

I'm running a Tuning Alliance stage1 map now. Hoping to get a dp soon and go stage2.

Cool. I'll have to pick up a Ver. 2 AP at some point for the Spec-B and contact tuning alliance. I have a Ver 1 AP, but of course that'll only work with an '05 5MT. :lol: Shame I only used it twice. How do you like your Spec B? I'm excited to pick the one up I'm buying on Sunday.

I love it. This is my fourth Legacy and I like it the best.

I wish it was about 2" lower, but I'll take care of that this spring with Cobb springs.

Sweet. This'll be my 2nd LGT, I actually have Cobb springs that have been sitting in a box for 2 years now that I never got around to putting on my '05. :lol:

Great, thanks for the info. So basically I can swap out the stock up pipe for an aftermarket one straight up without having to bother with a CAT or EGT SNSR.

Are there any good gains to be had from switching out the stock UP for say something like the AVO Up Pipe?

Also thanks for the info on the DP. Need to get a good DP and a Cobb ver.2 soon it seems. What do you recommend for a DP? Price isn't really an issue since I would rather put high quality parts on now than have to replace later.

Thanks,

Great, thanks for the info. So basically I can swap out the stock up pipe for an aftermarket one straight up without having to bother with a CAT or EGT SNSR.

Are there any good gains to be had from switching out the stock UP for say something like the AVO Up Pipe?

Also thanks for the info on the DP. Need to get a good DP and a Cobb ver.2 soon it seems. What do you recommend for a DP? Price isn't really an issue since I would rather put high quality parts on now than have to replace later.

Thanks,

Why would you want to swap out the UP if there's no cat inhibiting flow? Save the money on an UP, and get an AP v2. Plus swapping out the UP is a pain in the ass.

Why would you want to swap out the UP if there's no cat inhibiting flow? Save the money on an UP, and get an AP v2. Plus swapping out the UP is a pain in the ass.

+1

The instalation is a real bitch for minimal performance benefit .... especially on the stock turbo.

Buy a nice DP and AP, flash to stage 2 and enjoy.

I'm running a Cobb catted DP for the last year or so and am extremely happy with it.

I'm running a Cobb catted DP for the last year or so and am extremely happy with it.

What's the noise difference like between stock and the cobb catted dp? I have one sitting in a box in my sun room and it's been sitting there probably about 2 years now. I never got around to putting it on because I wanted to do the UP on my '05 at the same time but just never got to it. I've heard some say that it's quite noisier, and some say that they couldn't tell much difference.

Perfect, thanks for the info. I'm gonna order the AP ver.2 and a DP today after getting all your recommendations.

Any advice on a DP? I'm looking at the AVO one but didn't know if there was a better one I should be checking out.

I also saw that Harman Motive says they have custom AP Maps on their site. I've always heard good things about their tuning. Anyone running any of their custom maps for the Cobb AP? Any better results than the maps off the Cobb Tuning.com?

What's the noise difference like between stock and the cobb catted dp? I have one sitting in a box in my sun room and it's been sitting there probably about 2 years now. I never got around to putting it on because I wanted to do the UP on my '05 at the same time but just never got to it. I've heard some say that it's quite noisier, and some say that they couldn't tell much difference.

There is increased engine/turbo noise but from inside the car if that makes any sense.

You can hear the turbo/BOV/engine a little more clearly but it doesn't project the sound outside from the exhaust like an aftermarket catback.

Perfect, thanks for the info. I'm gonna order the AP ver.2 and a DP today after getting all your recommendations.

Any advice on a DP? I'm looking at the AVO one but didn't know if there was a better one I should be checking out.

I also saw that Harman Motive says they have custom AP Maps on their site. I've always heard good things about their tuning. Anyone running any of their custom maps for the Cobb AP? Any better results than the maps off the Cobb Tuning.com?

Just want to clarify that you need the Cobb AP for CAN equipped vehicles. The actual model is AP-SUB-003.

I understood that Harman Motive was having a liquidation/closing sale a month or 2 back. Not sure if they were just moving locations or shutting down.

Haven't seen a whole bunch of feedback on the AVO DP. Seems like the 2 most popular DP are Cobb and Invidia.

So I went ahead and ordered the Cobb AP (AP-SUB-003), along with a Cobb DP w/ CAT this afternoon.

One last question.

Is there any special trick as to how to set the Cobb AP to stop the CEL caused by removing the CAT in the DP? or is it just built in as part of the Stage 2 Map you download?

Thanks again for all the great help.

When you load the AP map you won't have any problems with CELs. I've been running problem free for over a year.

When you get your goodies you should consider new gaskets and heat shield.

Good luck and enjoy.

When running a Cobb AP stage II map the .pdf states that it must be the STOCK intake and filter. Currently I have an aftermarket AVO drop-in filter in the STOCK intake.

Do I need to go back to using the Stock filter before I flash the new map? Don't want to run the risk of causing any engine damage from such a minor detail so I wanted to check with some of the guys here.

I went ahead and got the Cobb Heatshield at the same time as the DP since I heard it was a good idea. For the gaskets, I just planned on getting some new ones from the dealer. Should work right?

Thanks,

When running a Cobb AP stage II map the .pdf states that it must be the STOCK intake and filter. Currently I have an aftermarket AVO drop-in filter in the STOCK intake.

Do I need to go back to using the Stock filter before I flash the new map? Don't want to run the risk of causing any engine damage from such a minor detail so I wanted to check with some of the guys here.

I went ahead and got the Cobb Heatshield at the same time as the DP since I heard it was a good idea. For the gaskets, I just planned on getting some new ones from the dealer. Should work right?

Thanks,

Yes. OEM gaskets are probably the best.

Aftermarket filter won't be of any issue for you.

A few things:

1. DO NOT do the UP...you dont need to.

2. In terms of power, my car dyno'd at 246whp/305wtq with a cobb catted dp, tmic, high flow filter, and protune. It will be a little less with the cobb map.

3. If you have a TMIC and high flow filter, I would recommend getting a protune, or e-tune. The high flow filter WILL make your car run leaner. If the map is calling for 11:1, it will actually run 12:1. Cobb says this is ok, but I dont really buy it.

4. Get OEM gaskets, and look into the Cobb heatshield, so you can swap back to stock if you need to. Otherwise you will need to cut up your stock heatshield.

5. Get a good set of tools if youre doing the DP yourself. The 2 installs I've seen have both had cross-threaded bolts where the DP bolts on to the turbo, and we needed to cut the bolt to get it off. On mine, I put pipes on there and applied enough torque just to shear it off haha. Good luck.

5. Get a good set of tools if youre doing the DP yourself. The 2 installs I've seen have both had cross-threaded bolts where the DP bolts on to the turbo, and we needed to cut the bolt to get it off. On mine, I put pipes on there and applied enough torque just to shear it off haha. Good luck.

I used the super torque method to shear off my cross-threaded bolt (turbo to DP) too. I picked one up from the Subie Dealer for 1 buck.

Plain ol' Stage II with a gutted upper cat here and the wife and I are plenty happy with it. Have fun!

Thanks for the heads up about getting the DP off the Turbo. I'll go ahead and pick up some extra bolts ahead of time.

I planned on the having the car pro-tuned down the road anyway to get the most out of the TMIC but after hearing your recommendation I might just go ahead and have it done sooner than later.

I saw that PDX Tuning had Cabb AP upgrade maps you could get from them. Anyone running one of these? Wondered if it was worth the $150 over the standard Stage II Map? Like I said above, figure to go protune, but if this is pretty much and equal alternative was gonna look into it as it was cheaper.

I can already see that the wait for my DP and Cobb AP to get here is gonna kill me...

Archived