LegacyGT.com

Coilovers

Hey guys, so im about to buy new wheels and the case of needing moar low is very bad. i was told to go for raceland coilovers if im on a budget and i figured i might. i just cant find the specific model for legacy but i was told that the legacies do share the same suspension as other models. which models have interchangeable suspensions with the LGTs?

well the plan is to get something that will get me low and improve handling as quick and as cheap as i can for now. i would like to get my car ready for Wekfest Miami in december. after that's done ill get into more expensive suspension setup. the list of things to be done is long and the budget is not as extensive

Spring strut combo>coilover especially on a budget. You will lose the adjustability of ride height but overall you'll have a set-up with better ride and longevity.

It kinda depends on where you want to land as far as wheel fitment. If it's important to you to get as low as you can an stretch tires on 9" wide wheels, etc. then yes, coilovers but I'd look at BC BR's over Raceland.

If you plan to DD your car and wouldn't mind taking it on road trips, etc then the Spring strut combo is a no brained. You can still get great fitment out of this set-up but instead of adjusting the coils you'll be playing with tire sizes and saggy butt spacers.

Define your goals a bit more and maybe we can help. But the above poster is correct to say that tight budget and solid suspension do no coinside.

Too, keep in mind that you may need an ALK or Anti-Lift kit depending on your eventual height. This will correct suspension geometry by extending your ball joints correcting the angle of your lower control arm. This is often lost when lowering your car. Not a cheap addition but well worth the benefits.

You've got your work cut out for you with those plans. Probably won't need to stretch tires like that with flares either. At least not on a 9.5" wide wheel at that height . I'd suggest 245/40-45's to get as much meat as you can in there...amount of room will depend on flare as well....Probably have to play with it a little though...start with coils and do the flares, ten fit the wheels as you lower to see what kinda room you're gonna have.

well i dont think i will be replacing those tires, theyre basically brand new and i actually like the look they have on the wheel at this stretch level. i will be looking for a nice set of flares too. now the only question is whats the best set of coilovers for a tight budget?

well the plan is to get something that will get me low and improve handling as quick and as cheap as i can for now. i would like to get my car ready for Wekfest Miami in december. after that's done ill get into more expensive suspension setup. the list of things to be done is long and the budget is not as extensive

Cheap coilovers are going to hurt handling fairly significantly.

I'd, quite frankly, be terrified to be next to a car with shitty cheap chinese coilovers made for dubbers.

now the only question is whats the best set of coilovers for a tight budget?

None of them. Somewhere near $2k is where you'll find coilovers that are better than a strut-spring combo.

BC BR

Stance GR

TEIN SS

They're right though, these are pretty much junk compared to what you can get for that 2K mark...even finding a legit set used would be in your best interest...

Disagree. Suspension isn't something you'll want to cheap out on. Unless you can pick up a set of KWs (or something similar) that just need rebuilding. .

Sherman, if you're "on a budget", you should just live with whatever you've got done until you can afford to buy quality stuff. I get that it's nice to have, especially if you gotta have it right now, but, long-term, wouldn't you rather have something nice? Wouldn't you rather buy it once and be done with it?

Or would you rather buy Teins now, decide you don't like them, and then later, buy some KWs? (Thus, stretching your budget's anus, instead of stretching a dollar)

Honestly, unless you drive on smooth, racetrack-like surfaces day-in-day-out, coils aren't really going to do you much good, other than be a more expensive option, comparatively.

Do some serious research on suspension setups. I have a feeling that you only think you need coilovers but, do you know why you need them? (Or, more to the point -- why you don't?)

We're saying the same thing sir. I was just offering him some "better" suggestions vs Raceland if he's going to go with a 1k coilover set-up. Completely agree on the KW's as well as saving as opposed to settling for a low end product...but in my experience he's likely to buy one of these three regardless of suggestion.

ok lets put things in quick perspective. there is a big show coming up down here in south florida that i would really really love to enter. i have just installed new wheels on the car (Avid.1's 18X9.5 +38 225/40) and obviously i have poke. i would like to fix that so that i can make it out to the show. meanwhile the budget is short.

goddamit.... why is it that whenever i ask something regarding mechanical help i get the nicest and most precise answers with no bullshit, but whenever there is some question regarding suspension or wheels or w.e. i get all the clowns that all they want to do is discourage you.... all i asked originally is what suspension models would fit on the legacy, not for opinions about how i should spend my money. why is it so difficult to be helpful guys?

Because choosing fashion over function is usually a stupid choice. You wanna make the pig run like a scalded dog, ask the questions, you want to slap lipstick on the pig, go figure it out yourself.

Basically, this.

Sherman, what you should have said was, "I want to look good for a show. I want to go low, but I don't want to spend any money."

And we would have given you the right answer: Cut springs.

The answer you're looking for is cut springs.

Furthermore, you've been around long enough to know that we have very little, if any, tolerance for folks who mod like they own a Civic, which, honestly, is exactly what you're doing.

For real, though, suspension isn't something you want to cheap out on, or do dumb things with, like buy cheap coilovers.

I will, however, reference the cheap coilovers thread, which, I think is in the Suspension subforum.

Basically, this.

Sherman, what you should have said was, "I want to look good for a show. I want to go low, but I don't want to spend any money."

And we would have given you the right answer: Cut springs.

The answer you're looking for is cut springs.

Furthermore, you've been around long enough to know that we have very little, if any, tolerance for folks who mod like they own a Civic, which, honestly, is exactly what you're doing.

For real, though, suspension isn't something you want to cheap out on, or do dumb things with, like buy cheap coilovers.

I will, however, reference the cheap coilovers thread, which, I think is in the Suspension subforum.

woooow that hurt..... im by no means trying to mod my car like a civic. im in the need of budget parts. everything that is motor related is nothing but top notch. hell i have a 7K mile VF52 waiting to be dropped in as soon as i can get my hands on bigger injectors and a FMIC. but for the sake of making daily driving for a short period of time with the goal of a show appearance (to which you have to be accepted) i would want to stick to a tighter budget.

im also not as desparate to get down to the point where id cut springs, because i know how damn dangerous that can get aside from wearing your suspension out to shit. all i was looking for was literally an answer regarding what other subaru models share the same suspension components as us. and all this was all the answers i didnt want and ended up getting.

It's not what you're looking for, it's more how you're going about it.

Historically, threads where people start out with words like "budget", "cheap" and "too expensive" don't end well for the OP.

This just happened to be your turn.

So, while you didn't get the answers you were looking for, you sure learnt something!

if you cant even swing BC's. which are also garbage, then you really are out of options. And everyone is giving you precise answers with no BS. You do not want to skimp on suspension, ever. If you don't have the funds to do it properly, its not worth doing at all. Enough of us have been though shitty suspension setups to know how to do things right the first time.

If you want to put junk hardware on your car to slam it just to stand by you car at some show, then that's your business. no one here is gonna stop you. But if you like to actually drive and have any sort of standard on driving quality and road manners, then you would do best to invest in quality parts for your car. And dont whine about advice on public forum if its not something you want to hear.

well see heres the reason why i have tight budget on suspension. its not in NEED of replacing really. however, per example that is actually current. i happen to have fueling issues during my tune, and now am misfiring badly on cylinder 2 under WOT at around 5300 RPM and a little better on cylinder 1. theres other more urgent issues that i have to keep my budget flexible for.

well see heres the reason why i have tight budget on suspension. its not in NEED of replacing really. however, per example that is actually current. i happen to have fueling issues during my tune, and now am misfiring badly on cylinder 2 under WOT at around 5300 RPM and a little better on cylinder 1. theres other more urgent issues that i have to keep my budget flexible for.

Yeah, like a new motor?

Archived