LegacyGT.com

What else could it be? Whistling type noise

New here, but love Subaru's! Have 2. One of which I picked up a year ago at a great price, a 1998 Legacy Outback Wagon. Thought it be perfect for some roadtrips and so far it has.

In anticipation of a larger trip, I took the 98 to my local shop to have it checked out and about an oil leak that seemed to be getting worse. Well, a lot of money later, leaks stopped but then I noticed a noise that was not there before the work the shop performed, a whistle like squeal at low speeds up to 45mph and more so when the steering wheel was at a slight turn then it started to get much worse and squelch whenever I was slowing down to a stop but that was intermittent. Be there one day, after driving a bad road, and the next be fine. I took it back to the shop, they had it for a week. At first he told me it must be the brake pad quality and suggested replacing the pads and resurfacing the rotors. But I expressed doubt, said I felt the noise started after the work they did previously:

-Removed both valve covers and reseal to specs

-remove timing belt and replace oil pump seal housing, cam and crank seals

-replace timing belt kit

-Flush out p/S fluid system

-replace steering rack

-re-install new tie rods

The mechanic said all that checked out and had the car again for a week, then said, it was the alternator and idler pulley. Said he replaced them and noise stopped.

Well, I pick up the car and first thing I do is test drive it around, and right off the bat, I hear the sound but now its different. And happens at a higher speed or seems to shift from hearing on passenger side more to the driver's side when on rough road or go over something bumpy.

Anyone have ideas? Feel like the shop ripped me off and may still be ripping me off or do it again when I bring it back and have them recheck their work. I don't want to take it back to them just yet since they seem to have little clue and I just don't know enough about cars to ask the shop guys specifics other than I think that isn't a normal noise and wasn't there before.

I do try to keep in mind that the car is a 98, almost 20 years old, at 140k and has seen a lot of previous use before I picked it up.

Any suggestions of what to check or look into mighty appreciated!

These cars, at this age, you HAVE to be a mechanic or know one you trust with your life to make it cost effective to own. The work that was done is generally not a waste of money though, these are wear items that, if you keep the car, need to be done...

Just by the text its nearly impossible diagnose the noise. It could be struts or stabilizer bar links. It could be more brake issues. It could be a wheel bearing. It could be a ??? Does the car drive ok? Might just want to let it roll for a couple days before you take it back and accuse of bad work or have him fix something else.

Google is your friend. Isolate the noise, learn how the systems work and theorize what moving parts could be causing the noise.

Post a video up maybe?

Archived