LegacyGT.com

One damaged tire - replace 1 or 2 or 4?

mad99

I recently purchased a set of four wheels and tires from TireRack. I just hit a large rock on a city street and it caused a sidewall bulge in the right rear tire, ruining it. I still have to check the other tires more carefully. The tires only have 4077 miles on them. Tires are Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT XL, pretty soft as they are max performance summer tires.

My question is, how many new tires do I have to buy? One, or two, or four? I know it can damage the drivetrain (differentials) to use tires of slightly different diameters, but how much wear is enough to cause the diameter to change that much? The miles are mostly highway driving, but some spirited driving too.

I have a second question that you might have experience with: Is there a good way to file a complaint with party that left the rock on the road? I went back and found the rock, and it came from a state construction project right around the corner.

Tire Rack can only shave in 2/32 increments I think. Check tread depth and call them.

As for complaining, you can contact the state's public service department and file a claim. There is a chance they will reimburse you for the damage if you have adequate proof.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

@oldskoolbiker thank you so much for your post, you literally just saved me hundreds of dollars. have winter tires that were in not new but good shape, and one got a nasty bubble in from a pothole at the end of last winter. was thinking about buying 4 new tires, but will ask tirerack about shaving one down.

Archived