LegacyGT.com

My car alarm doesn't work! HELP!!! BEFORE MY CAR IS STOLEN!!!

I have the factory car alarm installed, and I have the shock sensor's sensitivity turned all the way up. I tried to test the alarm, and it is really insensitive... I can walk up to the car after setting the alarm (and waiting for it to activate) and shake it (without the keys in my pocket, in fact they're pretty far away)... AND NOTHING HAPPENS!!! It doesn't even beep at me or anything!!!

WTF??? Is the alarm supposed to go off AFTER someone has broken into my car or something? Because I would totally appreciate it going off BEFORE my car gets broken into!

Is anyone else having this problem?

If so, has anyone solved it???

P.S.

I went ahead and mounted the shock sensor mount on a spring in order to give it more bounce, but it's still really insensitive.

Any ideas on what I should do?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. I can kick my tires on max sensitivity and it doesn't do anything. I can only recall one time that it went off - from a snowball hitting the headlight. I'd love to find a fix also.

PS: Don't mount it on a spring - you're just isolating it from any vibrations passed from the chassis.

I used to have a motion sensor on my WRX and "moving" the car wasn't setting it off. What was setting it off is "tapping" on the body or a window with the palm of my hand to give it a vibration as if someone broke the window.

I think they are meant to be like that.

I've done the "vending machine shove," kicked my tires, smacked the window and hood, all to no avail. I guess it's just there for the insurance kickback :lol:.

Trying breaking your window to see if it works.:lol:

Seriously though, doesn't this seem as if it is full of fail??? The alarm should go off right at the beginning of the break in to act as a theft deterrent, not after the car is broken into. Then it's just annoying to the person stealing stuff out of my car!!!

I actually went and talked to the Technicians behind the parts desk at the local Subaru Dealership yesterday. They said that the shock sensor is more of a microphone than an actual motion sensor. This seems really dumb to me because it means that If someone breaks my window the alarm will go off, but if someone tries to break my window and does not succeed then the alarm doesn't go off. The problem with this is that I would like my alarm to activate while some one is breaking into my car, not after someone has broken into my car. I think I might go and buy an aftermarket alarm.

Any ideas on where to find one that is cheap and will work with the current system installed on the car?

I've set my alarm at work with my window's down before...(force of habit)

A buddy returned a couple DVDs to me, I threw them into the car, put my arm through the window and dropped them at about 6" ABOVE the passenger seat....

set off da alarm...had to run inside to get my keys to turn it off..Duh'O!

~Sucka-Duck~

I was on my way home from a viola recital. It was hot so all the windows were down. I stopped at a convenience store to get a drink. The car was parked right in front so I didn't bother rolling up the windows. My viola was in its case sitting on the front seat. When I got back it was too late... Someone had already put four more violas in my car!

Oh noes!!!!!!

lol, I had a car broken into once in broad daylight, under security cameras, with a security guard on hand. I would just like an alarm to notify the security guard, and the camera system operator, and the people in the parking lot if my nice car was being broken into so that they could stop it from happening is all.

Car alarms do little to deter those who smash and grab. People can be in and gone within seconds, an alarm isn't going to do much.

Our cars have immobilizers, which is the best thing to prevent car theft. Other than that, if someone wants your car enough they're going to still find a way to steal it no matter what.

• 2 weeks later...

If the shock sensor is set so sensitive that knocking on the window or panels set it off then you are going to get a lot of false alarms. Heard of the boy who cried wolf?

Kicking tyres won't set it off because if you think about it tyres are just a big airbag, and the shock sensor is attached to the body which is on springs! It is totally isolated from the tyres.

If you want glass break protection get an alarm with a glass break sensor; it will detect the contact sound of glass impact or breaking but even then you might get a few more seconds more alarm sounding than if you didn't have the sensor.

On the other hand if they do a smash and grab but don't open your door then the alarm would probably not go off without a glass break sensor.

NO, I do not have a gun rack in the back of my car... But I do have an MP3 player attachment on my stereo, and a Bluetooth speakerphone in my car along with my GPS... all those things combined makes my car a highly valued target for a smash and grab... That and it's a nice car, so that jacks up it's theft value to pretty high... Plus it's really easy to get into those frameless windows on the car.

MP3 player attachment on my stereo, and a Bluetooth speakerphone in my car along with my GPS... all those things combined makes my car a highly valued target for a smash and grab... That and it's a nice car, so that jacks up it's theft value to pretty high... Plus it's really easy to get into those frameless windows on the car.

Really? All those things and it hasn't been broken into yet? Wow, you're really lucky that no one has broken into your sub $30k car and stolen your $100 of normal everybody has them in their car toys.

In fact, because of this thread. I'm gonna stop hanging my bling from the rearview in case somebody sees it.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived