LegacyGT.com

Nice rims vs. potholes

JayEmVee

Hello all.

My question is, with 17 or 18 inch rims, how do you guys prevent tire and rim damage from the inevitable random pothole? I had my LGT one week and blew a tire from a pothole in the middle of the road at night. It was nothing that could be avoided, and they are prevalent this time of year when the ice and snow melts and all those loosened chunks of road come loose. It was covered under the road hazard part of my insurance, and only cost me an hour or so of my time at the service place so no big deal, but I want to know how often this happens to you guys. I almost want to downgrade to 16 inch wheels just for the peace of mind while driving.

Simple answer is that nothing will completely protect you. I live in Northern NJ where the potholes will swallow your car whole. Tires with stiffer sidewalls will help. Look for a high load rating. Also, I'm not sure that 16" wheels will clear the brake calipers on a GT. Search on that topic for more info.

Speaking from experience here: if you hit a pothole bad enough that it took out a tire, get an alignment. It messed up mine pretty bad when I hit a pothole, and I didn't even lose the tire! (just a bubble in the sidewall)

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Less air pressure will buy you some wiggle room because a tire that is over-inflated is more likely to cause bent rims. Of course if the impact was severe enough that the tire collapsed completely and allowed the wheel to contact the road then there really is no way around it without getting smaller diameter wheels and larger side wall tires.

I live in Central New Jersey and I have the stock rims/tires and I am definitely getting some good A/S tires >> 225/45/17 for more curb and pothole protection. Even if I go for some aftermarket rims (for the summer) I think I am leaning towards 17 x 8s with some meaty tires.
I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

• 2 weeks later...
Less air pressure will buy you some wiggle room because a tire that is over-inflated is more likely to cause bent rims. Of course if the impact was severe enough that the tire collapsed completely and allowed the wheel to contact the road then there really is no way around it without getting smaller diameter wheels and larger side wall tires.

See I have no proof or anything but prior to reading your post I thought a higher tire pressure would help prevent bent rims more so than a lower tire pressure. :confused:

There's nothing you can do but try to provide enough room between you and the vehicle in front of you so you have a better chance of seeing what's coming. You just try to be aware of what's coming and hope for the best.

I've bent:

4 Racing Hart Type C5's (17s)

1 Volk GT-N (17)

1 Volk LE28N (18)

All in northern NJ.

Archived