LegacyGT.com

Driver Seat Amp

sulk

So I'm continuing on my audio setup, and my main requirements are that I lose no cargo space as I use my trunk for work.

Currently I have component speakers up front, and a sound ordnance underseat subwoofer under my passenger seat. They all work great, but I'd like to finish the setup to maximize the audio for the system. Also I'm keeping my stock head unit, as I don't really need an aftermarket unit.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any amps that will fit under the drivers seat, or if anyone has installed any under there.

I'm guessing I would need a 4+1 mono amp, though I'm not an expert on car audio so not too sure on the specifics.

Any advice would be helpful!

JL Audio XD amps will fit. The HD line should fit as well.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I have everything sans amp for my audio install, but every time i have the funds to buy the amp something else comes up.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

i dont know what kinda sub power you need, but some companies make 5 channel amps. i had an older soundstream one and ive seen a rf 25 to life series 5 channel that put out 1k rms for woofer watts. pretty good for a 5 channel i think.

Yea I know the alpine pdx-5 is a 4+1 amp, so should be good for my setup. My sub isn't crazy, but it's pretty good and I'm happy with it. Again I'm going for not losing any cargo space, so everything lives/will live under the front seats.

I have everything sans amp for my audio install, but every time i have the funds to buy the amp something else comes up.

I know the feeling, there's always something else to buy..specially when you tell yourself to stop buying.

I have the apline pdx-5 in my car under my driver's seat and I'm seeing a lot of heat issues after 15-20 mins of operation. It's not burning my hands when I touch it, but it's hot enough that I'm worried if that's the best place to put it.

Is anyone having ventilation problems having an amp under the driver's seat?

If it isn't going into protect mode and you can rest your hand on the amp without getting burnt you'll probably be fine. You could always add a crossflow fan down there for piece of mind if you want though.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

I have the apline pdx-5 in my car under my driver's seat and I'm seeing a lot of heat issues after 15-20 mins of operation. It's not burning my hands when I touch it, but it's hot enough that I'm worried if that's the best place to put it.

Is anyone having ventilation problems having an amp under the driver's seat?

How much wattage is your system pushing?

Just curious, but I don't think mine would draw too much.

If it isn't going into protect mode and you can rest your hand on the amp without getting burnt you'll probably be fine. You could always add a crossflow fan down there for piece of mind if you want though.

No, it's not going into protect mode at all. It's working just fine, just that it's hot to the touch.

How much wattage is your system pushing?

Just curious, but I don't think mine would draw too much.

I've only got the subs hooked up to the amp right now and the sub is pushing 180 watts, or at least that's what the details on the paper say. I'm not blasting the sub as I don't like a lot of sub in my music.

I think I'm just going to leave it under the seat for now. Will probably have to reevaluate my placement after I hook up the rest of my speakers to the amp.

Possibly of interest --

Last week I bought a JL 10" W6 in Pro Wedge enclosure for the trunk and an Alpine PDX-M6 to go under the driver's seat. I had been looking at the JL XD600/1, but the dealer talked me into the Alpine by telling me that JL has not been honoring warranty claims as of late except when it can be shown that a problem is due to workmanship. He said Alpine is much easier to work with wrt warranty claims.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any amps that will fit under the drivers seat, or if anyone has installed any under there.

I'm guessing I would need a 4+1 mono amp, though I'm not an expert on car audio so not too sure on the specifics.

i have kappa five under psgrs seat. so i assumed it would also fit under drivers seat as well. beside i modified the underseat a/c vent to kinda keep it cool.

Here's the Alpine PDX-5 under my driver's seat if you want pictures to reference.

Thanks for the pictures!

Did you have to unbolt your seat for the installation, or was that just for a clear picture?

• 5 months later...
Anyone know about how much space an 08 gt would have under the front seats? I have a soundstream van gogh vga320.4 I used to run under my passenger front seat in my wrx, but I can't even slide it under my gt's seats. I'm willing to remove the seats, but would save my a lot of hassle if someone would know the dimensions under there.

It only takes 3 minutes to unbolt the seat and tilt it back enough to see what you've got to work with. Not much hassle.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Archived