LegacyGT.com

Turbo going/gone bad

05 gt, auto, 63000mi. Started hearing a noise. Like a whine and a hum mix. Accelerates funny under boost. Noise is most prominent under boost. Has this happened to anyone? All thoughts n suggestions are appricated :)

I think I blew a bearing in the turbo.

Hmm.... Sounds like it might just be the plastic side tanks of the intercooler. Check the tabs that clamp the plastic tank to the aluminum core. They like to start bending out on the turbo mounting side.

Turbos usually dont make noise very long before failing. The bearings wear and the shaft gets play in it. Then one of the wheels comes in contact with the housing. When that happens it doesn't take much to completely stop or break the shaft. If your feeling ambishus, take a look at the intake side of the turbo. If you can get your hand in there, feel for play or bent fins. Maybe stick a mirror down there and take a look.

The stock vf40 turbo has terrible reliability. I've gone through two in 72000 miles.

Is there a check engine light? A bad turbo will most likely throw a camshaft angle code.

Archived