LegacyGT.com

TheMahFromTheU's 2.5GT

No kiddin' lol - I believe it was 8/23/12, it was a Thursday when I got paid.

No. Shit.

Same day, literally.

Also, NO MOBIL 1, EVER! Not enough zinc, and it WILL kill your turbocharger!

Full synth should NOT be used for break-in. Your rings need to be seated properly, so you should use some high-mileage blend or non-synthetic. Change it now!

No. Shit.

Same day, literally.

Also, NO MOBIL 1, EVER! Not enough zinc, and it WILL kill your turbocharger!

Full synth should NOT be used for break-in. Your rings need to be seated properly, so you should use some high-mileage blend or non-synthetic. Change it now!

Get out imagine that - us both buying leggies on the same day.

As for the oil, I believe the Extended Protection blend is high mileage, the OCI for this oil is 15,000 miles not that I'd ever do that type of OCI. There are different blends of Mobil 1, are you certain that the gold top doesn't have enough zinc?

My reading tells me a car using regular oil shouldn't be switched to syn but if it's you start out with syn you have to keep using syn - am I misunderstanding something? Lol I spent 2 weeks reading about oil from bobistheoilguy.com thought I had it...

My builder also recommends Mobil 1 or Quaker State - he has a Forester XT, 2 STi's, and his wife had a LGT.

Edited by TheMahFromTheU

Well, that's just the zinc content, which is really most beneficial to the journal bearings in your turbo. For the rings to seat properly, though, it needs all the gunk and stuff that's in high-mileage oil -- the more conventional, the better.

But if your builder has had good results, then you should follow what he says.

That's an awesome page!

Steps 1-8 was handled by my builder, but the OCI recommendation per the article I will follow though. Thank you good sir.

So, he already broke in the engine for you?

According to the above, you were using full sythn and hadn't changed your oil yet. . .

It's not too late to put some conventional in there and follow the steps -

So, he already broke in the engine for you?

According to the above, you were using full sythn and hadn't changed your oil yet. . .

It's not too late to put some conventional in there and follow the steps -

My fault, after retreading he (my builder) did steps 1-6..

I guess 7-8 are on me with the OCI's recommended... Correct I am using full syn which my builder assures me with all his builds he has 0 issues. I'm not truly convinced that Mobil 1 is bad unless you're against syn for break-in?

I will let the car do the 100 miles on the Mobil 1 EP then do a little more research - I don't want conventional oil in my newly built motor, I was told to use syn all the way for a newly built motor.

conventional oil is the way to go. Screw Mobil1. There is a reason 99.999% of Subaru owners do not use it. It burns, breaks down quick and lowers male testosterone. Stuff is bad news. I know you have to listen to your builder but do your hw.

conventional oil is the way to go. Screw Mobil1. There is a reason 99.999% of Subaru owners do not use it. It burns, breaks down quick and lowers male testosterone. Stuff is bad news. I know you have to listen to your builder but do your hw.

There are different blends of Mobil 1 - so which blend are you referring to? All my reading thus far indicates Mobil 1 EP is for turbocharged cars, this is across various sites - bobistheoilguy.com for one... Mobil 1 EP is also Dexos1 approved. Amsoil is a ton of money, read bad things on QS, and Penzoil, and Royal Purple.

My OCI's will be on the 3500 miles mark if not sooner, I think so long as you have a consistent OCI, you're fine. I hate getting sucked into interwebz knowledge - this is a freshly built motor, maybe others failed because they tried to switch over as seals were already starting to give up and leaks were already present. I trust the who built my motor, who has 2 STi's, LGT and FXT.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...