LegacyGT.com

CR "sports sedans" article

got the may consumer reports today, and i was excited to see the "sports sedans" heading on the cover, definitely expecting to see the Legacy get a close look. well, the 6 cars they tested were: Lexus IS 250, BMW 325i, Audi A4, Caddilac CTS, Mercedes C230, and Saab 9-3.

unfortunately, they didn't include the Leggy in the cars they tested, but it was included in the overall ratings. and its ok to be out of any group that includes the 9-3!

the LGT was ranked 10 overall, but picked #1 for the most stimulating driving experience in CR's quick picks. i guess this is exactly what we expect from CR, especially when they haven't driven an LGT since 2004.

i'm glad i got this issue though, it'll help me pick golf balls and dishwasher detergents this weekend!

got the may consumer reports today, and i was excited to see the "sports sedans" heading on the cover, definitely expecting to see the Legacy get a close look. well, the 6 cars they tested were: Lexus IS 250, BMW 325i, Audi A4, Caddilac CTS, Mercedes C230, and Saab 9-3.

unfortunately, they didn't include the Leggy in the cars they tested, but it was included in the overall ratings. and its ok to be out of any group that includes the 9-3!

Consumer Reports clearly didn't want to upset BMW, Audi, and the others by allowing a lowly Subaru to massacre them. ;)

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

i'm glad i got this issue though, it'll help me pick golf balls and dishwasher detergents this weekend!

Cascade Ultra FTW!!!!!! Try the Titleist DT Wound for "touch" around the greens.:D

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Just by looking at that list if they wanted to compare it with a Subaru Legacy they would have to compare it to a limited non-GT. Yes even though the GT could be had for the same price if not cheaper than the IS250 or 325i I just don't think it is fair to compare the lowest car of one manufacturer vs the best of another. Would the LGT stand a chance against the IS350 or the upcomming 350i or current 330?

I think the IS has now created another class for itself. After seeing them on the road, they just seem bigger and more cumbersome to be considered a "sport sedan" When I think of sport sedan, images of an IS300/BMW 330Ci (old gen) come to mind, not an IS250/350 or current BMW 330 (judging by the spy photos, the new Ci will be a boat too). I think Audi got it right on the sizing of the A4, it is not overly frumpy. I don't know what to call the new IS and 3 series, but I think they have definitely overstepped the bounds of Sport Sedan, and are pushing their way toward their larger siblings. My $0.02

I've always enjoyed comparison tests, but people put a bit much stock in them. Rarely will those performing the comparisons share your priorities and weights.

Full editorial on this topic here: http://www.truedelta.com/pieces/comparison_tests.php

Unlike many people, I actually find CR's road test evaluations fairly accurate. My issue is with how they report the results of their reliability research. You can find my editorials on their research in the sidebar of the page referred to above.

Would the LGT stand a chance against the IS350 or the upcomming 350i or current 330?

yes on both, although i think you mean 335i

I think the IS has now created another class for itself. After seeing them on the road, they just seem bigger and more cumbersome to be considered a "sport sedan"

IS = 180" long; USDM LGT = 186" long

Archived