LegacyGT.com

upgrade to stereo for Legacy 2006

mcbklyn

Hi there,

I have 2006 SUBARU LEGACY 2.5I LMT/SP ED AWD

I want to upgrade stereo to something that will have ipod cable plug and possible Bluetooth.

Can somebody recommend non expensive options?

Is stereo from newer Outbacks (I think they have ipod plug) compatible with this Legacy model?

Thank you

The good news is your climate control is probably seperate from the stereo, so you can buy a new face plate that will allow you to use any single DIN unit for only $20! I'm pretty sure www.crutchfield.com has them. The HU from an 07-09 that has an aux-in may fit yours, but I'm not sure what would be required to make it work properly

• I Donated

If it's a 2.5i Limited like the OP says, it has auto climate control. OP, your best option is to look for a P-204UH (2007-2008 Legacy GT/Outback XT/Legacy 2.5i Limited/Outback 2.5i Limited) or P-206UH (2009 Legacy GT/Outback XT/Legacy 2.5i Limited/Outback 2.5i Limited). Those range from $150-$450 depending on how good a deal you get. I got one and purchased the iSimple Gateway, which operates through the satellite radio port and gives you iPod connectivity and Bluetooth handsfree/streaming with an optional module.

An alternative, much more expensive option is to get the JDM Double-DIN dash kit, which starts at $340 and does not include a stereo.

Thanks

So P-204UH or P-206UH do not have plug for aux?

I need to get additional thing (iSimple) to make it work?

I see that there is a lot of stereos on Crutchfield with bluetooth and ipod connector for $100-$150.

Do I need anything else to install them?

I am not familiar with all thins so need more info.

Thanks again

• I Donated

The P-204UH and P-206UH do support aux-in, but not without additional wiring. You need either the Subaru harness and pod, or a $35 harness from SVXdc (a member on here) and a 3.5mm minijack cable.

The iSimple Gateway provides actual iPod control through the headunit.

In order to use one of the stereos on Crutchfield, you need the JDM double-DIN dash kit (as noted before, this is a $340 item). The problem is that the automatic climate control and the radio are integrated together. The JDM dash kit separates them out so you can use an aftermarket radio. If you don't get it and want to use an aftermarket radio in the stock location anyway, you lose AC, heat, and defoggers.

There is also a single-DIN bezel that replaces the cubby above the clock, if you don't care about having a non-functional stock radio lower on the dash.

I have manual climate control so I need to turn on the knobs etc. Or you just mean that climate control and radio are one unit?

So these single DIN radios are small enough to fit into s pace above the clock?

I don't mind having non-functional original radio as long as I can hook up my ipod and bluetooth.

I do I connect this clutchfield radio to the system?

P.S. I am new to this so please be patient...

Thanks

• I Donated

Come to think of it, it looks like the OP has a 2.5i SE, not a 2.5i Limited... and the SE had manual climate control.

Because this is true, he can use this:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-SU2025B-2005-Up-Subaru-Outback/dp/B001EBJTK6]Amazon.com: Scosche SU2025B 2005-Up Subaru Legacy/Outback DIN With Pocket or Double DIN: Car Electronics[/ame]

...along with a $150 Crutchfield stereo. BTW, Crutchfield includes the harness adapter required to hook up to the OEM stereo harness.

• I Donated
I have the lower one, with 3 control knobs.

So you are saying that any of these stereos like Sony MEX-3000P

should work?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158BT3000P/Sony-MEX-BT3000P.html?tp=5684

It also comes with free installation parts and the plate you mentioned on Amazon.

P.S. does this gets more complicated if I would want GPS is it?

thx

My guess is it actually doesn't come with the plate from Amazon, it comes with a different one that is only compatible with single-DIN stereos. if you get a nav unit, those are usually double-DIN, so you need the one from Amazon, as it supports double-DIN.

• I Donated
Not terribly. Six screws to remove the radio, a couple more for the climate control, and some crimping or soldering (I would recommend the latter) on your kitchen table to put together the harness.

Not to hijack the thread, but thefultonhow can you send me a link or point me in the right direction for the one with an auto climate. I have an 06' and HATE not having an aux in. Been waiting for the leptronix but he is not sure what he wants to do. Much appreciated man.

• I Donated

There are a couple of P-204UH and P-206UH units on here right now, but they're expensive. There are also a number of them on car-part.com. If you go that route, make sure the junkyard tests the CD changer beforehand, and then ejects all CDs so that they don't damage the unit in shipping. I received two in a row with a non-functional CD changer. And the P-204UN/P-206UN is the one for manual climate control, so don't get that one.

As for the aux-in, PM the user SVXdc on here asking for the aux-in adapter with 3.5mm minijack connector.

• 7 months later...
  • I Donated
Does anyone know if the 2009 Legacy 6-CD unit with auto climate controls is a direct swap into an '05?

I'm not sure on the 09. The P-206UH (09 headunit) was speced with a Harmon Kardon system that had an external amp. I'm not sure if it is plug-and-play due to that.

The P-204UH (07-08 headunit) is definitely plug-and-play, although you'll need the SVXdc adapter to use the aux-in function. I had one in my 05 that I had before my Spec.B. (The unit from my 05 is actually in my Spec.B now -- the P-204UH from my Spec.B had an issue with an intermittent display connection, so I sold it when I was bringing my 05 back to stock.)

Does anyone know if the 2009 Legacy 6-CD unit with auto climate controls is a direct swap into an '05?

According to the user SVXdc, it is compatible as long as the climate controls are the same. However, the impedance is different so you have to turn up the volume higher than you're used to. From SVXdc's website:

A popular "upgrade" in Legacys (Libertys) and Outbacks has been to replace the factory head unit (HU) with a newer OEM model. In general, the HUs are interchangeable across all model years 2005–2009 (4th generation, model codes BL and BP), provided that the new HU has the exact same type of HVAC controls as the car originally had. All of the car's factory harnesses will be plug-and-play with a newer HU, and all HVAC and audio functions will still work (with a few exceptions, detailed below).

The 2009 HU in North American cars is designed to be connected to the external OEM harman/kardon amplifier, but still works in earlier cars.

North American 2009 models have the harman/kardon amplifier and speaker system. The OEM HU (model P-206UHB, Panasonic CQ-EF1861X) has a built-in 4-channel amplifier IC for the four main speaker outputs. However, its output impedance is 10,000 Ohms (10K Ohms), rather than the typical 4 Ohms. This HU can directly power the speakers in older cars, although people have reported that you'll need to turn up the volume a little higher than you were accustomed to.

You might want to hit him up for specifics.

Well, I went ahead and started to install the 08 head unit. I learned that the iSimple gate way may work with the radio but not with an 05 car. I guess that means I'll have to go for the Subaru adapter.

I also accidentally pulled the antenna cable out of the harness. I plugged it back in but I'm not getting a number of FM stations that are normally strong and no AM reception at all. I stuffed the cable back into the harness and crimped the contact. Do I need to strip more insulation?

I think I'm all sorted now with installs but have a question about two connections. My 2006 radio had to vertically oriented connections (8-pin, I think) for two wire bundles and the 2008 radio has them side by side. Which bundle goes into which connection?

Archived