LegacyGT.com

1992 Legacy Turbo upgrades

Hey I am new around here, I just picked up a 92 turbo wagon and I was trying to find what the most effective/safe upgrades are to these cars. Mine has a tick over 200,000 km's on it so its not too high yet.

I have owned a few turbo cars in the past so I have a pretty good idea of the common upgrades for them, ie exhaust, bosst controler etc. Does this hold true with the legacys or do you run into other problems with them? Also can you recomend any places to get parts for them?

Anyways any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Not much? It's all in what you make of it. Many upgrades for the wrx 2.0, and a handful of STi performance parts will work with the legacy turbo. I have a 3" down pipe, and exhaust meant for a wrx, and with very minimal modification I got it to work. Also, manual boost controllers can be spliced in if need be, especially if you plan on upgrading the turbo, which will also require you to add an intercooler. Search for just keywords, many many many topics will come up regarding mods and upgrades.

The board just received a pretty substantial upgrade, so I'm not 100% everything is ready to be accessed at the time.

Ya I have been searching around and it doesn't seem to bring up much, I'm just not sure what kind of parts are interchangeable between the models. If I do up the boost a couple of pounds does it require a computer tune/upgrade or can the stocker handle a few additional pounds?

Well you have to be really, really careful when messing with the boost. Stock parts are designed according stock boost. You can usually push them a bit, but you really have to know what you're doing. I had a friend with a newer WRX that upped his boost from the stock 12 or whatever it is on the 2.5 WRX's to 16.5 and he was pulling parts of his turbo fans out of everything. I would recommend a lot of research before you do anything yourself and getting a tune is never a bad idea.

I have owned a few turbo cars in the past, and they always seem to have few more hp in them without compromising too much reliability, but I'm not sure about these cars I am still new to the whole subaru world

My previous turbo cars were a 89 Probe GT Turbo (Basically a mx6) and a 91 Talon TSi. They both responded well to a little more boost, but as I said I am new to these cars

legacycentral has the most info on the 1st gen cars. the website was just redone this week. so hopefully the search button will work better. if it doesnt, go to the section u want to learn about and click the FAQ section. it will provide links to past threads on the subject.

Archived