LegacyGT.com

Possible fifth gen engine swaps

Please don't rash on me I've seriously came up with jack.

So I was considering wait for the next AVO turbo kit to be released for the fifth gen. but after reading forums and doing research I'm considering a engine swap instead. My problem is I'm not sure what engine will for because I have the 2014 2.5i NA which is a FB25...

Money isn't a issue so please non of that its easier to trade it in for a gt. I like my leggy and would rather put it the money and have it be different.

Thanks in advance.

I've been talking the Cullen at East Coast Swappers about it but he said he would consult with his people and try to provide a estimate but this would be "uncharted territory." Are there any other places anyone could think of for engine swaps. (Prefer near ma)

FA20DIT? find a wrecked 14+ Forester XT or '15+ WRX and go from there? You probably want the high torque CVT rather than sticking with what comes in the 2.5i if you are going for more power.

FA20DIT? find a wrecked 14+ Forester XT or '15+ WRX and go from there? You probably want the high torque CVT rather than sticking with what comes in the 2.5i if you are going for more power.

I was thinking about the forester xt engine but it quite rare to come by.

The 5th gen legacy uses a different way to mount the engine than any other Subaru as far as I know. The 10-12 5th gen has the ej25 engine in it. Though the block is different to accommodate the engine mounting from other ej25 engines.

Swaps are gonna be the 5th gen GT motor, or 5th gen 3.6r motor. Youd need to swap trannys too cuz Im pretty sure those motors would eat up your CVT. Those would be the 6 speed 5th gen GT/2.5i tranny or the 5eat in the 3.6r. Somebody had looked into the 6 speed STi swap on the 5th gen GT and I guess it wouldn't work.

You could contact The Subaru Shop in Tiverton, RI about the swap. Good guys, lots of fast cars. Definite experience swapping subarus.

You will need engine, transmission, computer and all wiring. I am no expert here but these are the bread and butter items that you need. Then you will have to get an okay for your swap if you want to pass smog when that comes due in 5 years.

If you are gonna drive it like you stole it and not care about renewing your registration when due, do the LGT swap.

If you care about renewing your registration in 5 years, then a 3.6r swap is your only choice.

That being said, it will be cheaper and a lot faster for you to either get an LGT or a 3.6r and sell your car.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

i'd agree that just buying a gt or 3.5r would be the cheapest and easiest but that wouldn't be any fun now would it? You would likely be looking at custom fabrication for mounting everything if you want an engine from a different car. What is possible there is the limiting factor. if you're hiring out the labor you may end up putting in $20k + if swapping a non-Subaru engine.

I would think a different subaru engine is way more doable and cheaper. another factor is matching the rear diff ratio with that of the transmission/center diff. if you had to swap the rear diff then you're looking at custom axels. youde likely need a custom drive shaft anyway. if I were you, I'd find someone really really familiar with the 08-14 Sti and see what they think about the feasibility of having custom mounts/crossmembers fabricated for that engine and transmission. get them to pull your engine and do a mockup. another option is to find a reputable shop to fully build you a 5th gen GT engine.

if you really want to stick with the same car buy a GT and do the full swap and sell the GT as a 2.5i. this will definately limit your buyers and reduce the value. depending on where you live, you'll have smog laws to contend with. in CA, we have the option to "BAR" aka "Ref" a car with a swap to change it's registration to the vehicle the engine came from. it's a complex involved proccess where everything has to be perfect in order to pass. I tried that proccess on a Honda about 10 years ago and could not pass the inspection. they want everything down to the fuel pump and entire evap system to match the engine. I ended up running out of money, getting my registration revoked for not passing, and being forced to sell the car in another state.

These threads crack me up. Why stop there why not a 2J or an LS3? Money is not an option so why limit yourself? Shit, why not convert it to run Hydrogen? Is this your daily or would your rents let you borrow their car while your car is down for 6+ months during the swap? One last, if money is not an issue why are you in a 2.5i to begin with?

Just buy a GT...

If it were a manual and therefore not as likely to tear its transmission apart, I'd say go the custom turbo + IC + ducting + injectors + fuel pump + ecu route....

Oh wait.. no I wouldn't. That would be a nightmare and a huge waste of money for a car that won't pass any inspections, won't have any warranty, will be a money pit for things breaking, and it will be a year in the making.

- If you want more luxury/plush/gadgets, trade it for a 6th-gen 3.6R Limited+Tech.

- If you want more sporty/power/performance, trade it for a '15 WRX

- If you REALLY want a 5th Gen Legacy with some balls, find a used '12 GT

...But thats just my humble opinion.

I'm on the list. Would not consider "getting rid of" as appropriate for me. 2015 WRX Limited. Short shifter and STI exhaust are the only options. Have the LGT for a few more weeks while it's being built. Dealer trade.

102K miles on the LGT. Looked at the cost for the upcoming maintenance & fun mods. Decided a newer platform would be better suited. Many of the LGT mods move forward. Wheels, Brembos, RSB are a few.

im jacking this from mighty car mods but. you should put in a EZ36 and turbo.... or supercharge, it. if i have my facts right it will bolt up to an older sti 6 speed. you can check it out

WARNING: this is not just a straight forward "hey this is how we built it" its a youtube series so they do joke around... and they are Australian so if you can't stand the accent they aren't for you

I'm on the list. Would not consider "getting rid of" as appropriate for me. 2015 WRX Limited. Short shifter and STI exhaust are the only options. Have the LGT for a few more weeks while it's being built. Dealer trade.

102K miles on the LGT. Looked at the cost for the upcoming maintenance & fun mods. Decided a newer platform would be better suited. Many of the LGT mods move forward. Wheels, Brembos, RSB are a few.

:(

we are sorry to see you go. stick around the 5th gen forum would ya? we have few enough of us as it is

• 5 weeks later...

i've had such terrible luck with my 5th gen, i'm looking at swapping in my trusty supercharged 3800 from my monte carlo and a cts-v t56 (for cable shift) and eliminating the awd :(

i really dont want to lose the awd for winter but the trans is just as shitty as the engine imo its a joke of a drivetrain in every way so i figure f*ck it i'll have an expensive paperweight (to which this drivetrain is best suited) and swap in a bulletproof combo and see if the chassis is as big of joke as the rest of it :mad::spin::mad: i sincerely hope i dont pretzel this car from having some real torque that isn't just a whoosh from pooch to dog.... and spending 10k building a damn boxer engine suitable for dailying is a ******* joke, then the trans... NOTHING will help it, the design is a HUGE FAIL and an sti trans costs more than a (uber capable) t56 and likely would require the same amount of work..... i would get away from the legacy if i could, but it would seem a swap will cost me much much less in the long run the 3800 is way way way way way way way way way better in every way other than center of gravity.... y'all have fun with the boxer, i gave it a shot, babied it, used it as just a daily, fed it amsoil, changed timing belt water pump and cam seals at 60k, changed oil every 2500, still had 3 turbos fail in 70k.... needless to say i no longer am changing the oil, just topping it off until it dies, its down to 2 or 3 working cylinders now, 4k miles on this oil change but it uses a quart every 40 miles, burn bitch burn.

Archived