LegacyGT.com

01 Outback Check Engine Light

Y2KOB

I have a 2001 4 cyl. Outback with approx. 70,000 miles and while on a trip to Florida the check engine light came on. The plugs are fresh as well as the air cleaner, battery and a Subaru gas cap. It seems to run ok and I got almost 28 MPG on the trip at 65 mph. Is there a way to get the trouble code without a code reader? My 2000 jeep will display the trouble code on the dash after turning the ignition key on and off 4 times. Does Subaru have anything like that? Any ideas on the problem? Rich

jcmsp062@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...
I bought a cheap code reader/eraser and used it. The code comes up as "P0420" Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) . This light came on during a 2,400 mile trip andstayed on untill I deleted it this morning. If it comes back on do I change the Cat? If so where's the best place to get one at a reasonable price?

when i drove from Missouri to Oregon my CEL came on when i got into Oregon. i think it was getting used to the %10 ethanol gas that is the only regular fuel product available in Oregon. after a few days the light cleared itself and never came back on. that was 6 months ago.

I wondered about the gas. I live in New Jersey and we don't get it. But the light came on after around 900 miles at highway speeds just after I got into Florida. The 10 percent ethanol started appearing in Virginia I think. Anyway it's out and I'm hoping it stays that way.:)

It could be a rear 02 sensor as well. Sometimes a faulty sensor sets that code off.

Ever have that changed before?

It could also be the front AF Sensor too. I have seen that go bad and give false readings and cause the cat to go bad. The main thing is seeing how the readings from the AF Sensor are and relate them to the rear O2 and see how they change in recordings.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 3 months later...

The CEL on my daughters 1996 Legacy with 109000 miles came on about 2 weeks ago. Went to Autozone for a read out and got the dreaded P0420. Considering the mileage I changed the front O2 sensor. No change.

Then I started the car and with the hood up did some listening around the engine. Noticed a sucking sound which led me to a vacuum hose that was dangling. I reconnected the hose and disconnected the battery during an oil change. CEL cleared. It's now been a week and close to 500 miles, she drove to Maine this past weekend, and still no CEL. :)

Bottom line P0420 can be caused by many different things. Don't necessarily assume it's the very expensive cat.

Actually a P0420 can be caused by a few things including the front sensor, cat and rear sensor. Also a misfire can cause it as well from raw fuel being dumped into the exhaust.

I think what might have happened was the vacuum leak contributed to the problem and with the front a/f sensor going bad, that is why you had a p0420 code. I will say that most of the time, the sensor and cat need to be replaced, but that is not always the case.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Ya ive had that code for about 9,000 miles now..... I replaced the cat, later replaced the AF sensor, and ITS BACK ON!! Im so pissed im going to get a rear o2 sensor and hope that finally solves it. If it is ur AF sensor, ur car will run funky sometimes. It will stutter and hesitate. Along with the cat and AF sensor, I replaced the fuel filter, still didnt clear the code, but it def ran a lot smoother

Are you using a factory cat or an aftermarket one? Some aftermarket ones still will set the code being the converter may not fully satisfy the ECU's requirements in what it is measuring.

IF your referring to me, I got an aftermarket one. I never thought of that... it was $260 vs $1000 something so i obviously took the cheeper one

Yes. I have seen some aftermarket converters cause this.

One comes to mind where he has replaced his AF Sensor twice, rear o2 twice and converter twice and still has a P0420 code. All are non OE parts.

CRAP THAT SUCKS!!! I just went to autozone today and had 4 codes:

2 p0420

p1137- Front o2 sensor circuit range/performance problem

p0130- circuit condition (heated o2 sensor bank sensor 1

Basically Im effed right? Im assuming I need to buy an OEM cat for this problem to be fixed. my inspection isnt due til december, so i have some time to troubleshoot

CRAP THAT SUCKS!!! I just went to autozone today and had 4 codes:

2 p0420

p1137- Front o2 sensor circuit range/performance problem

p0130- circuit condition (heated o2 sensor bank sensor 1

Basically Im effed right? Im assuming I need to buy an OEM cat for this problem to be fixed. my inspection isnt due til december, so i have some time to troubleshoot

How long does it take for all the codes to come back? Probably couple hundred miles.

So just reset the codes right before having the inspection done... works in Maine at least... ;)

Archived