LegacyGT.com

Strange subwoofer noise, constant thumping

bucko3the7man

• I Donated

My subwoofer has been doing this for a little while, It never did it in my old car. It will do this as long as the car is on, and the radio does not have to be on for it to make the sound. It will do this constantly whenever the car is on Run or ACC.

I'm using this kit to wire it up: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NXLWU6/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00]Amazon.com: KICKER 09DCK8 8 GAUGE AMP INSTALLATION WIRING KIT DCK8: Car Electronics[/ame]

And I used this line out converter to give me RCA plugs to the sub: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JQ6O4A/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00]Amazon.com: Stinger SGN11 Fixed Line Output Converter: Car Electronics[/ame]

Any ideas what this could be? It's an old sub and an old amp.

Here's a video I recorded yesterday of it doing its thing: http://youtu.be/p6mHsxBByzs

It almost always comes down to grounding. ;)

Now of course it could be defective equipment. But whenever you have noise in your line (for the sub it's static the driver is trying to reproduce), it's usually a ground issue. Hopefully it's an external ground issue and not an amp or headunit internal ground issue.

Check all grounds. Use a multimeter and see if you have resistance between things, like from the body to the grounds on the amp, head unit, RCA cables' grounds, etc.

Also, you removed and then reconnected the RCA cables while the system was powered on. That's a no-no as it could surge things. For head units that could blow the fuse that connects the common ground to the RCA grounds. But since you're using a converter from speaker level to RCA, it could damage that device.

• I Donated
It almost always comes down to grounding. ;)

Now of course it could be defective equipment. But whenever you have noise in your line (for the sub it's static the driver is trying to reproduce), it's usually a ground issue. Hopefully it's an external ground issue and not an amp or headunit internal ground issue.

Check all grounds. Use a multimeter and see if you have resistance between things, like from the body to the grounds on the amp, head unit, RCA cables' grounds, etc.

Also, you removed and then reconnected the RCA cables while the system was powered on. That's a no-no as it could surge things. For head units that could blow the fuse that connects the common ground to the RCA grounds. But since you're using a converter from speaker level to RCA, it could damage that device.

Good to know. I'll check all the grounds but wouldn't be surprised if the amp was gone. Thank you!

This happened to me once. The amp was toast; it didn't give any warning or get abused, just started thumping one day. I would try to eliminate it as the cause.

Get a portable MP3 player or similar and hook it up to the amp's inputs using a headphone-to-RCA Y cable and see if the noise persists.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

This also happened to me twice. Once the ground literally came undone and it was thumping like a heartbeat, and another time when the amp fried itself internally.

I sent it in to MTX and paid for a replacement power supply and it has been fine ever since.

I would check ground first and foremost.

Archived