LegacyGT.com

Shudder at 1500 RPM

when my car is idling and i push the throttle so it settles at 1500 RPM i get this terrible shudder, or shaking, the shifter shakes back and forth about a half an inch or an inch and I can feel the shaking through the clutch and gas pedals.

in higher RPMs it goes away - probably being masked by the increased engine vibration.

I figured it was a spark plug/wire issue - any other thoughts?

subscribed. similair issue every once in a while.

Does it come and go? I've had a problem like this with one of my cars in the past - but I don't want this to escalate. i.e. if the vibration is messing up other components.

well to be honest the last time I felt it, it was last night in the parking lot. the car was off for 12hrs...turned the car on, it idled fine for like 5 minutes a quick rough idle/shudder and then back to normal. the time before thAt probably a month ago.

thats a good point - I haven't tried to get the shudder after I have driven around - i first noticed it when i was showing the car to someone and slowly revving the engine slowly up to 6-7K

the car had been driving less than an hour ago however. I'll check it out after my drive home tonight.

thx

It's normal, that's what the Boxer acts like when you're at low revs in a high gear and you're overloading the engine, IE it's got no grunt. You don't feel it in an inline 4 cylinder because you don't have pistons slapping sideways. Mine does it too.

It's normal, that's what the Boxer acts like when you're at low revs in a high gear and you're overloading the engine

I wasn't in a high gear though - i was at a standstill in neutral and it was doing it... still normal?

thanks for the input!

I get it from time to time. I think it's just the flat 4 idle. Remeber they don't have balance shaft and balance themselves. At low rpms they don't shake like a inline 4s they rock.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Archived