LegacyGT.com

Tire advice

TcDavis

roll the fenders flat to run 225

raise up the car to run 235

Yes on rolling the fenders, but in addition, do you think you can take a few mm off the rims to get more offset? Do you have enough clearance on the inside? You'll have to check, but some rims have enough room to take a few mm off. Your rims are way out there.

You should be able to run 245 on an 8.5 rim, so the 225 or 235 is not the issue.

They are just way out there for my taste, but there are a LOT of people that like that look.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Yes on rolling the fenders, but in addition, do you think you can take a few mm off the rims to get more offset? Do you have enough clearance on the inside? You'll have to check, but some rims have enough room to take a few mm off. Your rims are way out there.

You should be able to run 245 on an 8.5 rim, so the 225 or 235 is not the issue.

They are just way out there for my taste, but there are a LOT of people that like that look.

why the hell do you want to shave the back side of the wheel

so unsafe

you'll have a much thinner mounting pad

if OP likes flushed wheels so be it, who cares

I had 18x9.5 with 225s, so?

What's wrong with 225's and on a 9.5" wheel? Other than tire manufacturers say that it's not unsafe?

The maximum wheel width recommended for a 225 tire is 8.5" I cannot believe you can find tire shops to even mount tires that stretched.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

What's wrong with 225's and on a 9.5" wheel? Other than tire manufacturers say that it's not unsafe?

The maximum wheel width recommended for a 225 tire is 8.5" I cannot believe you can find tire shops to even mount tires that stretched.

So how bout 225/45 on 18x875? Sane enough?

Tc

There is nothing wrong. Just it's not the norm. Then people all freaked out...

Keep your PSI up/in check, you'll be good.

Plenty of shops will mount 225 on 9.5 wheel

why the hell do you want to shave the back side of the wheel

so unsafe

you'll have a much thinner mounting pad

if OP likes flushed wheels so be it, who cares

I had 18x9.5 with 225s, so?

If there is enough meat on the back of the rim, you can take some off to get more offset. If there is not enough meat, then you leave it alone and don't risk integrity.

I agree, some people like that look.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

I do not understand the stretched tire look at all. It looks bad and serves no functional purpose. The only 'race' cars out there I have seen run stretched tires are drifters and well they aren't real racers. Yes it will somewhat increase the response of your tires, but if you run the right type of tires at a decent pressure the added response will be minimal. If you go with a crazy stretch like a 225 on a 9.5" wheel it is purely for looks and you might as well add an underglow and fart can exhaust IMO.

If you like that look and want to do it great, but expect resistance from those of us functional people out there.

As for the OP I'd pick the 235 option.... actually I'd really prefer a 245 on an 8.75" wide wheel. I like to keep a square sidewall with as much tread on the road as the tire allows. Pick a tire with a stiff sidewall (most summer tires suffice) and air it up about 3-5 PSI over recommended (NOT the number on the sidewall of the tire that is the maximum inflation pressure and you should NEVER exceed that)

For me I'd run the following on my spec.B:

215-225 on 7"wide wheels

225 on 7.5"

225-235 on 8"

2003 Baja 5MT

So you just hate on whatever you don't understand? Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion/style. Just because it's not mainstream that doesn't mean it necessarily bad. There is also a big difference between stanced car and ricer shit.

If there is enough meat on the back of the rim, you can take some off to get more offset. If there is not enough meat, then you leave it alone and don't risk integrity.

I agree, some people like that look.

It's not as simple as "enough meat", if you shave off the back padding, you take out the aluminum between the lug nut and the hub/rotor. If that part is too thin, it's prone to cracking then it won't be fun at all :spin:

• 4 weeks later...
I do not understand the stretched tire look at all. It looks bad and serves no functional purpose. The only 'race' cars out there I have seen run stretched tires are drifters and well they aren't real racers. Yes it will somewhat increase the response of your tires, but if you run the right type of tires at a decent pressure the added response will be minimal. If you go with a crazy stretch like a 225 on a 9.5" wheel it is purely for looks and you might as well add an underglow and fart can exhaust IMO.

If you like that look and want to do it great, but expect resistance from those of us functional people out there.

As for the OP I'd pick the 235 option.... actually I'd really prefer a 245 on an 8.75" wide wheel. I like to keep a square sidewall with as much tread on the road as the tire allows. Pick a tire with a stiff sidewall (most summer tires suffice) and air it up about 3-5 PSI over recommended (NOT the number on the sidewall of the tire that is the maximum inflation pressure and you should NEVER exceed that)

For me I'd run the following on my spec.B:

215-225 on 7"wide wheels

225 on 7.5"

225-235 on 8"

So what about an 18x875?

Width and height?

Tc Davis

I'd have to use a tire size calculator to be certain, but my inclination is to say 245/35/18. But from my limited reading on the subject on here you might not be able to fit that size of a tire under the fenders without rolling or pulling the fenders.

2003 Baja 5MT

Archived