LegacyGT.com

Headlight cover cleaning?

I'm new, but I've looked around for a bit for a good DIY cleaning guide. I'm sure lots of methods have been tried, but I'm looking for a no-joke awesome restoration product that will return my headlight covers to their CLEAR former glory. A friend suggested OFF brand bug repellant... really?? I'm looking for something that's proven effective and lasts.

Whatcha got? (Maybe there is a thread I didn't see?)

From what I've seen, the OFF repellent works well and last for at least 6 months. I only say "at least" because I haven't sen pictures since then. However, it seems to last.

I've used the mothers restoration kit and it works well. There's also a DIY on here somewhere from a guy who takes great care, and likely a half day to restore. But I believe that's free hand without power tools.

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

This is actually what you want. Get something intended to clear your headlights, not something intended to keep you from buggin' out.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Headlight-Restoration-System/dp/B001AIZ5HY]Amazon.com: 3M 39008 Headlight Lens Restoration System: Automotive[/ame]

Oh, look, they even have it at Walmart!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Headlight-Restoration-Kit/13023890

I used Mothers Ultimate Compound on my hazy headlight and and it honestly matches my brand new headlight almost perfectly.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Q6lduWhhGtg/TMZVMXYYMjI/AAAAAAAAALE/PLeZhuX1yJ4/s1600/ULTIMATE+COMPOUND+MAIN.jpg

It's not designed specifically for headlights, but it does the job.

This is actually what you want. Get something intended to clear your headlights, not something intended to keep you from buggin' out.

Amazon.com: 3M 39008 Headlight Lens Restoration System: Automotive

Oh, look, they even have it at Walmart!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Headlight-Restoration-Kit/13023890

Hmmm.... That looks like it would be easier getting an all-inclusive kit. Thanks!

I'm new, but I've looked around for a bit for a good DIY cleaning guide. I'm sure lots of methods have been tried, but I'm looking for a no-joke awesome restoration product that will return my headlight covers to their CLEAR former glory. A friend suggested OFF brand bug repellant... really?? I'm looking for something that's proven effective and lasts.

Whatcha got? (Maybe there is a thread I didn't see?)

I do NOT recommend the OFF repellent. The reason that trick works is because of the propellant in the spray and the deet concentration of the spray. Deet (known to cause cancer) actually MELTS certain types of plastics and rubbers, which apparently includes the plastic that headlight covers are made of.

Definitely follow Tris's advise and use something that is actually designed for cleaning your lights, otherwise you could actually do more harm than good.

If you are looking for cheap, intense whitening toothpaste and a scotchbrite pad works for a while as well. But again, listen to Tris if you want to do it right the first time!

Unless you own a Dual Action Polisher, like the Porter Cable 7424 XP it is probably better to get one of the kits that works with a regular cordless drill.

In my experience you have to work through sanding grits to get good results. Just using a polish or compound only works if there is limited fading or scratches.

I have wet sanded from 800, 1000, 2000, 2500, 3000 and then used my DA polisher with 2 to 3 successive products each one with finer and finer grit. A typical progression would be Meguiars M105, Meguiars PlastiX, Meguiars M205.

You must put some sort of final sealant on after you have gone through your progression. I have used a mixture of Helmsman Spar Urathane and mineral spirits using a shop blue shop paper towel to apply (there are instructions at autogeek). Lately I use an easier to apply sealant but it doesn't last long.

If you go through all the steps in the kit and take your time to get the sanding marks out from each previous grit, then you can maintain them a lot easier using just rub on products like PlastiX followed by a sealant.

Spend some time at the autogeek detailing forums and you will find more information than you ever care to digest. It takes a lot of filtering just like reading NASIOC, but you can learn a lot.

This makes a huge difference in visibility from your lights, so take your time.

I do NOT recommend the OFF repellent. The reason that trick works is because of the propellant in the spray and the deet concentration of the spray. Deet (known to cause cancer) actually MELTS certain types of plastics and rubbers, which apparently includes the plastic that headlight covers are made of.

Definitely follow Tris's advise and use something that is actually designed for cleaning your lights, otherwise you could actually do more harm than good.

If you are looking for cheap, intense whitening toothpaste and a scotchbrite pad works for a while as well. But again, listen to Tris if you want to do it right the first time!

Doesn't cause cancer. Causation is extremely difficult to prove. In fact, there's no correlation documented. But I'm just picking now :)

Thanks for posting about the plastic degradation, that's true, though I wonder if that's only true of the pure deet as typical OFF concentrations are 30%.

Good info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

I have wet sanded from 800, 1000, 2000, 2500, 3000 and then used my DA polisher with 2 to 3 successive products each one with finer and finer grit. A typical progression would be Meguiars M105, Meguiars PlastiX, Meguiars M205.

You must put some sort of final sealant on after you have gone through your progression. I have used a mixture of Helmsman Spar Urathane and mineral spirits using a shop blue shop paper towel to apply (there are instructions at autogeek). Lately I use an easier to apply sealant but it doesn't last long.

I followed the steps outlined in the link doobaruGT referenced (which is almost exactly what you stated above). It was easy and the results fantastic. I can't emphasize how much better the lenses looked after then Helmsman Spar urethane and mineral spirit mix application.

Doesn't cause cancer. Causation is extremely difficult to prove. In fact, there's no correlation documented. But I'm just picking now :)

Thanks for posting about the plastic degradation, that's true, though I wonder if that's only true of the pure deet as typical OFF concentrations are 30%.

Good info!

Yea, I should have said 'thought by some to cause' rather than 'known to cause' there. I honestly don't believe that it causes cancer either, but I have seen what does to plastics and rubbers, and it's not pretty. That being said, I still use it all the time when I go camping. :)

You are right to think that the higher the deet content, the more it will degrade the plastic. Since, there is nothing abrasive or coarse in the repellent, the only possible reason that this method would work is that either the deet, or the propellant (or maybe the combo of the two) is breaking down the surface of the plastic to eliminate the haze.

I followed the steps outlined in the link doobaruGT referenced (which is almost exactly what you stated above). It was easy and the results fantastic. I can't emphasize how much better the lenses looked after then Helmsman Spar urethane and mineral spirit mix application.

The whole process of successive sanding and polishing using different compounds takes scratches from the previous stage and makes them smaller and finer.

I think the Helsman solution ends up filling the micro scratches and drying clear. When I do the Helsman it does look a little bit better than when I just use a spray on sealant like Diamondite.

I can never get it perfect, there are always some hazing but I just go for the 80% solution

The whole process of successive sanding and polishing using different compounds takes scratches from the previous stage and makes them smaller and finer.

I think the Helsman solution ends up filling the micro scratches and drying clear. When I do the Helsman it does look a little bit better than when I just use a spray on sealant like Diamondite.

I can never get it perfect, there are always some hazing but I just go for the 80% solution

I was pleased with the results of the sanding and polishing (using toe 105 and 205 compounds). I could have lived with it after that work. However the guide stated the Helsman Urethane solution adds some UV protection making the work last longer so I wanted to apply it for that reason. I was pleased that not only does it protect the lenses from UV rays but it makes them look like glass too.

I grabbed a headlight restoration kit on closeout from O'Reillys a few months ago and tried it out on our 2001 Outback. For 20 minutes of work it made a huge difference. Someday I might try sanding, buti doubt I will ever have the time. Here is a before/after shot. I had a strip of tape right down the middle of the lens. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/29/eff6f826491b20404040f4476cbb849d.jpg

Kinda wish I was still in Maryland with MrLuv... I may try and see if I can send mine off and knock out the HID's same time.

His is still some of the best work I've ever seen. I follow some of his threads on hidplanet, too. #notstalking

I had a friend of mine help me out with this the other day. I could've probably done it, but I bought him a milkshake and he buffed for me. I wetsanded them with 1500 grit, then he buffed them with compound, I couldn't tell you what exactly he used. Then I waxed them, to seal them. Probably some form of UV protection would be good. They look great though!

If you want your headlight to last you need to remove it and disassemble it. once you do that then you take the clear plastic part and do this to the outside lens

thoroughly clean it using denatured alcohol

sand it down using progressively finer sand paper ending at 3000 grit

use a plastic polishing compound

thoroughly clean it again using denatured alcohol

spray a clear plastic adhesion promoter on the lens

clear coat them with about 5 layers of clear coat that is not tinted at all and contains a UV protectant

after it sits for a day or two reassemble with new automotive grade adhesive

should last longer than you keep the car from this point.

If you want your headlight to last you need to remove it and disassemble it. once you do that then you take the clear plastic part and do this to the outside lens

clear coat them with about 5 layers of clear coat that is not tinted at all and contains a UV protectant

That's what I did with my last car and it never hazed at all after the fact. What I plan to do when I retrofit my set.

While this is the way to achieve the best results I found one can achieve 95% with the light assemblies in the vehicle.

• 7 months later...

Good info!

Mostly every product sold in California is labeled with cancer warnings.

Wish I read this before I cleaned the headlights with OFF yesterday. Results were good, and being overly careful I finished off the job by washing the headlights which should mitigate melting plastic issues.

Next time I'll probably go with the Griot's Garage kit. Final step is a sealant to preserve the clear lens.

His is still some of the best work I've ever seen. I follow some of his threads on hidplanet, too. #notstalking

I think I still may send them off for him to do whatever he does, I was there when he did a few sets. He's actually the one I swapped my Shrek B interior out with for the Limited but that's another thread. I used the compound below and a DA with terry cloth cover and got this for now.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/348BD12B-9A44-4076-A95E-A779E4321559_zpsjxkqnjxr.jpg~original

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/B7C67427-F64F-40AF-A0FF-413DF1459F6B_zpsumzk0ikt.jpg~original

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/DE6E3F60-AB89-4A7C-B25E-CD64B8C6F280_zpsmqrc34ny.jpg~original

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/991A3417-535D-4AE2-A8C5-F4E3AE8205B2_zpsdycwoi7g.jpg~original

I used Mothers Ultimate Compound on my hazy headlight and and it honestly matches my brand new headlight almost perfectly.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Q6lduWhhGtg/TMZVMXYYMjI/AAAAAAAAALE/PLeZhuX1yJ4/s1600/ULTIMATE+COMPOUND+MAIN.jpg

It's not designed specifically for headlights, but it does the job.

Archived