LegacyGT.com

Things to look for buying used lgt

Looking at buying a lgt to replace my current daily driver I've narrowed it down to 2005-2007 dark interior, possibly a 2007 spec b. I was inquiring about things to look for when purchasing a used one. As well as good place to find one. I've searched around craigslist eBay and market place here.

There's a whole section devoted to your question here.

Good luck with your search for a NICE LGT

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/pre-purchase-questions-41.html

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

Budget for everything you can think of that could go wrong. My car had zero signs of problems at purchase yet the turbo and TOB (which means a whole new clutch) were on the way out. I did not plan for those things to happen so soon and was in a tough spot for a little while.

just do your research. there are solid LGT's out there.

Compression and leakdown, turbo shaft play. and some other routine wear items that are well documented but generally not expensive or complex to fix, especially if you wrench.

Modding is where you can really part with some $$$.

Just don't expect it to be like a camry like ^these^ guys did and you should be just fine.

Haha get a different car.

I found one under 60k miles with some of the common problems addressed.

just be weary of one that already had a turbo go. they tend to take the rest of the engine with them if not shut down immediately after showing signs of failure.

and 07+ is a great idea. no cat in the uppipe and comes with the VF 46 turbo which is more reliable than the 05-05 vf-40.

Also get a spec B with a 6MT so you don't even have to begin contemplating the $3500 plus swap to put one in down the road.

I hate to say it but I have to agree with the get a different car idea (or better yet buy mine) Or at least have a VERY thorough inspection done on it.

2007 lgt purchased with 47k 1 year ago.

I have replaced the:

Head Gaskets

Head studs

Water pump

Timing belt

spark plugs

Valve cover gaskets

M/T fluid (required maintenance, yes, but it was grinding in 4th before I did it)

Several vacuum lines

TB-TMIC hose

I know I'm forgetting something...

Need to replace:

Cam seal passenger side

TOB and flywheel (might as well do the clutch while I'm at it, right...)

Front brakes

TMIC. starting to separate (probably just bulletproof it)

need to tear apart the starter and grease it as well (got cold out and it started grinding)

Whats good on mine

Turbo has 0 shaft play....

The car has been nothing but a money pit. I get one problem taken care of just as something else goes wrong.

I love this car and it loves my checking account.

This car is made to be a daily driver no? It's a four door sporty sedan. Seems strange to not get it to daily drive. Subaru reliability is never tops but if maintained well and not modded too heavily should last a long time.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

This car is made to be a daily driver no? It's a four door sporty sedan. Seems strange to not get it to daily drive. Subaru reliability is never tops but if maintained well and not modded too heavily should last a long time.

the key being "maintained well and not modded too heavily". So many newbies buy a car, replace all the bling, and ignore the maintenance items. Experience is an expensive teacher.

I bought mine secondhand December 2007 with just about 38K miles on and still a year left on the warranty. I bought it from a dealership, and knowing that the warranty was still good and if something blew up off the lot I could bring it back was a huge bonus.

The problem is that as time goes on, the cars out there get used and abused more and more. Most of the people that love and take care of their LGTs are holding onto their LGTs and aren't putting them up for sale. The ones that are up for sale will probably fall into one of the following categories:

1) modded correctly, but may no longer be considered reliable DDs due to the nature of their mods

2) never modded, completely stock, but have issues due to neglect and owner just wants to get rid of it

3) modded, but restored to stock for the sale, and it was beaten up while modded

4) modded, still modded, and it was done improperly (bad tune, bad parts, etc.)

5) modded correctly, and was beaten up, and neglected

You have to remember, from 2005-2007 means that whatever car you're looking at is 7-9 years old... because a MY05 really came out at the end of 2004. These cars aren't exactly young anymore. It's hard to believe mine is nearly a decade old.

I drive my car hard sometimes, but I also know how to take care of it and I don't plan on getting rid of it until the very, very end. It's held up well so far!

I bought mine with 70k already partially modded and the only issues have been wear items like clutch, wheel bearings, struts, tires. So don't not buy one just don't be a dummy and buy it in a whim. But make sure you check the turbo for shaft play get a compression/leak down test like others have said.

Subaru reliability is never tops but if maintained well and not modded too heavily should last a long time.

Subaru reliability overall has been damn near the top. On a forum you just get squeaky wheel syndrome. Especially one that encourages pushing your car to the limit driving and modding wise heh.

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/TZyL9lU_UrdJxv1HrpN16g--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://mit.zenfs.com/852/2013/02/crAutochart-02.jpg

Subaru reliability overall has been damn near the top. On a forum you just get squeaky wheel syndrome. Especially one that encourages pushing your car to the limit driving and modding wise heh.

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/TZyL9lU_UrdJxv1HrpN16g--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://mit.zenfs.com/852/2013/02/crAutochart-02.jpg

I believe if you pulled out the na and turbo'd motors you might see things differently. Their N/A motors are pretty solid.

And there is something wrong with this data. Subi has never out performed honda or toyota. I also don't buy seeing a German car in the top performers area.

They have outperformed Honda in recent year's rankings, not Toyota though.

http://strumors.automobilemag.com/files/2012/10/Consumer-Reports-Predicted-Reliability-by-brand-2013-911x1024.jpg

I believe if you pulled out the na and turbo'd motors you might see things differently. Their N/A motors are pretty solid.

Well back in the day the n/a motors had more head gasket problems than turbos.

The current Forrester just took the most reliable vehicle award. And Consumer Reports names Subaru as the best brand to buy. But they name the 6 cylinder Legacy as Subie's least reliable model...

Think you guys just don't know what real unreliability is...heh. My prior VW GTI was in the shop every other month at least.

They have outperformed Honda in recent year's rankings, not Toyota though.

http://strumors.automobilemag.com/files/2012/10/Consumer-Reports-Predicted-Reliability-by-brand-2013-911x1024.jpg

Well back in the day the n/a motors had more head gasket problems than turbos.

The current Forrester just took the most reliable vehicle award. And Consumer Reports names Subaru as the best brand to buy. But they name the 6 cylinder Legacy as Subie's least reliable model...

This is a joke. It's predicted reliability for 2013 models. I wouldn't buy into anything consumer report says on cars that haven't been out for years. Call me in 5 years when the stats get readjusted.

Yeah predicted reliability is a joke imo.

Longterm reliability is the key!

Agreed. It's often things the testers don't get to interact with that fail.

There was an interesting WSJ article that said the cost to build a car was typically within 3% for all makers. Meaning a $30k retail car from everyone had approximately the same 'cost' to bring it to the show room floor. They were for example paying nearly the same price for power steering pumps. Yet based on the vendors and specs each brand imposses had a wide range of long term reliability scores.

Got me thinking. If they all cost the same why the difference? Well some car companies like Toyota and Honda have the reliability in their DNA. While for example Subaru has 'love' and 'rally' in their DNA. Which I can tell you neither have to stand the test of time. :)

There's no reason a well maintained LGT can't be a good DD. Sure, if its been beat on, or you are just unlucky enough to find a lemon, it will cost you. Same goes with any other car make. Coming from the E46 world, it makes me laugh how "unreliable" people think these cars are.

Absolutely yes, get it inspected. If everything checks out than your off to a good start. Next comes maintenance. Doing all your fluids/filters/plugs will help keep it reliable. Finally, keep in mind your buying a 6+ year old car. Any will require wear and tear items be replaced every so often. If you find one with a strong powertrain and maintain it well it should last you a long time. I bought an 07 with 49k miles in August and am very happy with it so far.

Subaru does well in TrueDelta overall as well. With only bad ratings on the 01 Legacy and Outback and intermediate ones in 03-07 Legacy and Outback. But in the green everywhere else.

http://www.truedelta.com/car-reliability-results/09-2013&order=2&asc_desc=ASC

Think the difference is, when a subaru is in the shop it's more likely to be a big ticket item.

Subaru does well in TrueDelta overall as well. With only bad ratings on the 01 Legacy and Outback and intermediate ones in 03-07 Legacy and Outback. But in the green everywhere else.

http://www.truedelta.com/car-reliability-results/09-2013&order=2&asc_desc=ASC

I guess when I look at that data I see Toyota and Honda consistently being to the shop less frequently then the same year/price point Subi product. While Toyota and Honda might have odd models/years they appear to rank highly. More importantly I see the data conflicted with the predicted information you posted earlier.

Also look at the mileage on an 05 TL - http://www.truedelta.com/Acura-TL/problems-5/2005 everything of note is happening around 100K. Engine mountains fail, they're a wear item. No one is for example complaining about fuel line failure like I got at 60K or was a problem for multiple years with Subis.

Archived