LegacyGT.com

terrible fuel economy on 08 legacy?

With quite a heavy foot, my 08 2.5GT 5EAT still got 18.5. Then again, a heavy foot in a N/A vs a heavy foot in a turbo produce very different results. I still wouldn't expect 13-15, that seems really low. Air up your tires, check your air filters, maybe change your spark plugs, etc. Maybe do a light foot control test and see how it does.

Honestly, my 3-year lease expires at the end of this month, I just opened a bookmark on this site and figured I'd ask for the hell of it, I don't plan on doing anything about it now. But brand new air filter, tires inflated properly, 3 year old sparkplugs though, but this has been an issue since I got the car 3 years ago. Not sure why I didn't ask 3 years ago :p

On mine with a fairly heavy foot, I get ~17 MPG. Then again, your foot may be heavier than mine :p

So what are you getting into next?

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

On mine with a fairly heavy foot, I get ~17 MPG. Then again, your foot may be heavier than mine :p

So what are you getting into next?

I'm trying to lease a GTI, but the pricing is just a HAIR high right now, trying to haggle. Also considering a Suzuki Kazachi, Civic SI, and possibly, but not likely, a Ford Fusion. I want to go slightly sportier, even if it means sacrificing the AWD (which I was a huge fan of).

I'd go with another Legacy, but not a fan of the larger Legacy bodies, and I'd LOVE a WRX, the 2008+ ones look awesome, but 26K falls just above my budget. Any ideas on some decent cars, with a sticker I can get under 23K? Some pep would be nice.

I get 26-28 highway, just the city is terrible.

Same here kind of. when I take it easy I can avg 27-28. When I have to pass stupid people I get around 24-25:lol:

Base mustang or camaro (under $23K)? Personally I wouldnt get one cause they're all over

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

I have an 08 Legacy SE, no turbo, everything stock, and I also have a very heavy foot. Is 13-15 mpg in the city still quite low, or does that sound just about right for someone with a lead foot?

thanks!!

:lol: I almost commented saying "I have a friend with a non-turbo who gets the same fuel economy that you do..." then I looked at the username and realized who was asking, haha.

:lol: I almost commented saying "I have a friend with a non-turbo who gets the same fuel economy that you do..." then I looked at the username and realized who was asking, haha.

haha, sup man! I'll be coming home on Weds, hopefully with a new car.

I have the same car, N/A but I do about 70 % highway. Every oil change I reset my trip and I've avgd 24, 23.6 and 23.8 on the last 3 oil changes. When I'm good with my foot and conscience on the highway, I've gotten 27 on a whole full tank of gas. When I've been heavy on the pedal, I've seen it get down to 18 on a tank of gas. But never 13-15. How do u measure? For what distances?

it sounds about right, if it's true city driving stop and go every city block. no car achieves good gas mileage in those conditions. i was averaging 15-17mpg in boston when i had my car there, all of my friends who had vehicles of different variety achieved about the same or worse.

I have to say, give the Fusion a real chance. As much as I would have dogged Ford just a couple years ago, I took a new position and received a Ford Taurus for a Company Car 3 years ago. In that time, I've piled on over 170,000 miles.

To date, here is my approximate service list:

Oil changes every 7500 miles

Transmission fluid every 30,000 miles (Recommended 60,000 but I've noticed better shifts by changing the fluid more regularly. Worth the extra $150 a year)

Air filter approximately every 22,500 miles (has varied greatly from 15,000 to 30,000 I'd say)

Throttle body replaced at 62,000 miles, and again at 105,000 miles (seems to be good now - only $400 repair. This has been the biggest "problem" for the car. Not bad to have $800 worth of repairs in 170,000 miles, IMHO).

Brake pads and rotors at 90,000 miles. (rear calipers were also replaced at about 120,000 miles, but that was because the Firestone ruined the original rear calipers when they did the brakes. They've since lost all my business).

Battery replaced at around 110,000 miles

Replaced struts at all four corners at 160,000 miles

The only other problem I've had was the USB port for the Sync System died at 4 hours life on the car! :lol: and there is a very strange gremlin (since day 1) where the Radio will randomly turn off. This happens maybe once a month, so every 6000 miles or so.

No squeaks or rattles. I'm amazed. Having driven Subies for the previous 7 years before the Ford, I didn't know you could get cars that don't squeak and rattle after 15,000 miles.

I like the Fusion as well, especially if you get one with the blacked out grill. Not sure about its AWD capabilities, though. Same with the Suzuki Kizashi, which I'm trying to get my sister into since she doesn't want American, and the new Subies don't really appeal to her. Both the Kizashi and Fusion have AWD as options, if you can't live without it.

Even though they're about the same price range as the GTI, I also like the TDI (Golf or Jetta). They have very good torque (pep, as you call it) and my friend with a 2008 TDI Jetta, with a heavy lead foot, can get ~600 miles/tank. That's double what I can get in my 2.5i. Easy on fuel and a blast to drive, imo.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

On my 2.5i SE 4EAT I average around 20-22 around town, and 28 on a semi mixed mostly highway drive. On my pure highway, I managed to get 30 and on the rare time I got 33. This is all hand calculated, I never trust my computer to calculate for me. =]

On a lead foot, I've only gotten as low as 16 as my lowest ever. That was snow driving and maybe drifting in a parking lot? =P

I like the Fusion as well, especially if you get one with the blacked out grill. Not sure about its AWD capabilities, though.

I can honestly say, in real driving conditions, I've never been left wanting with the AWD system in the Taurus.

Now, if I want to spin her in the snow ... then I miss that the rear end doesn't spin freely right away, but it's never been an issue for actual traction.

Archived