LegacyGT.com

Front passenger Speaker Rattle -> Solutions?

WaywardWit

i notice the same rattle... and it drives me NUTS! Im going to look further into the factory sub at this point... maybe other people can chime in and really help cuz im new to this too, but i know what your saying, maybe we can both get an answer to it! haha

I believe the factory sub will do nothing to curb the rattle. I am not aware that it decreases the bass output of the mids.

In fact, I had the same rattle before and after I installed aftermarket speakers (and 3 layers of damping material like Dynamat plus some on the back of the plastic inner door panel). It seemed to go away for a while, but now it is back. I first thought I blew the mid, but it occurs when the stereo is off too. I'll be pulling the door apart again this weekend. If I find a solution, I will post it for you. Annoying

My 08 does this as well (I think from the drivers side though), but only when it's bassy in a particular frequency range and really loud. I installed an aftermarket subwoofer and lowered the bass to the stock speakers and it fixed the problem.

This situation is pretty piss poor on the part of Subaru...

take it in...it's a lack of insulation/deadening material in the door...it has been an issue in some of the LGT's since 05...it's unlikely that it is the speaker itself....

I kid you not..I had the same problem, they told me it was the music i listen to and that I listen too loudly....I brought 4 cd's...and went from car to car and all cars did it... they pulled the door, put dome foam in there, problem solved....

later the armrest extension button began rattling..

in the end i just put really loud exhaust on the car...that fixed all of the rattles

Slide two pieces of sound deadening underneath the slide mech of the armrest extension. Prob solved.

Oh, and when your seatbelt anchor covers start rattling, go to home depot and get the thick foam/carpet squares (for under table legs) and shove those behind the slide pieces.

• 1 year later...
I have the same rattle and noticed that the sun visor on the passenger side was making most of the noise. The little door that opens up to reveal the mirror was doing it all. I noticed it by complete mistake when my wife went to use the mirror. I've taken a small piece of double sided velcro tape, just the soft side, and taped it to the back of the little door. I don't notice any more rattle.

• 2 weeks later...
My 09' door does the same as well. I got the speaker replaced under warranty, but it did not solve the problem. Seems to happen more when it is cold outside too. Kinda pissing me off a little

Same here only when its really cold out do I notice it a lot. and it is VERY annoying especially since I'm a youngin who likes hip-hop and loud bass!

• 1 month later...

I have this in my 08 spec B as well. I haven't really spent much time figuring out where it comes from but to me it seems to come from BOTH front doors. It sounds like I have some loose change or metal something in the door storage areas but there is nothing there. It sounds like something is vibrating or like the particular range is making some door parts resonate.

The rattle is only present during certain low ranges, not all songs cause it. I have the factory sub. I guess I could increase the subs bass and decrease the rest of the bass on the headunit to get rid of it, but it's annoying as hell.

Where was the foam placed? I'd like to let the dealer know and see if they're willing to fix it, otherwise I'll do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this same problem with my 08 lgt since I got it. I'm planning on replacing the speakers eventually. So I'm just gonna deal with it until then. And maybe when I take th door apart I'll try to diagnose it on my own.Hopefully a loose something or other or a stray cable/wire...

Glad to hear I'm not alone tho!

I have an 07 with the same rattle. Not sure if its the speaker or just a rattle in the door. at first i thought i blew the speaker but if i turn off the radio, i can still hear it. i'm going to pop the door panel off and look intoit because it drives me nuts

• 1 month later...
I'm getting rattling as well. I've isolated it to two areas - front doors and seatbelt retracting trim pieces. On the front doors, it seems to be the interior door handles are loose against the door. I can push down and feel "pockets".

wow this is like a thread of sob stories haha!

I had the same issue as well, I installed a custom sub myself but i think what really got rid of the rattle were the Bass Blockers I installed.

If your not installing a subwoofer and simply want to rid yourself of the rattle these should do the trick http:// http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127BB150A2/Bass-Blockers-150-Hz-cut-off.html?search=bass+blockers

The just need to be installed into the factory HU. Find the two front speaker wires (i forget the color but they are labeled i believe). pull them out, strip them and attatch the bass blockers, than plug back into the factory HU and you should be rattle free

I have an '09 SpecB, well actually I'm on my second one. The first one made it 2200 Km before the engine cashed in:eek:. That one had a really bad speaker rattle from the front passenger door, pissed me off. Thought I would tell the dealer about it when it came time for its first oil change, but it didn't make it that far....

My new car has a rattle as well from the same speaker, only not quite as bad, but it IS there. Definitely a design flaw. Like several other people are experiencing, it's only a certain frequency of bass that triggers it. Usually rap or anything played on Sirius channel "The Joint";).

Would be nice to know if it's fixable.... But I'll eventually just get a turboback exhaust and to hell with it:)

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

• 2 weeks later...
Well, my '09 Legacy 3.0R with the Harman Kardon stereo now has an incredibly annoying speaker rattle in the passenger door. I just got the car last week and the rattle is already apparent. :confused: I'll take a look at it tomorrow and if I can't figure out a simple solution, I guess I'll take it into the dealership and have them try to fix it under warranty. I'm 99% positive that the speaker is fine; instead, it's rattling plastic or something. If I take it into the dealership, I'll tell them it needs some sort of padding or foam. Wish me luck.

Well, my '09 Legacy 3.0R with the Harman Kardon stereo now has an incredibly annoying speaker rattle in the passenger door. I just got the car last week and the rattle is already apparent. :confused: I'll take a look at it tomorrow and if I can't figure out a simple solution, I guess I'll take it into the dealership and have them try to fix it under warranty. I'm 99% positive that the speaker is fine; instead, it's rattling plastic or something. If I take it into the dealership, I'll tell them it needs some sort of padding or foam. Wish me luck.

Good luck, and don't forget to let us know how you made out!

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I had the rattle in my '06 se- they changed the speaker (even though I told them that wasn't the problem); it went away for a few days- then returned. My '08 didn't do it. Now my new '09 has the same rattle- and since the harmon/kardons in the front doors produce more bass than the regular Panasonic system, it's much worse. I had the factory sub in my other 2 cars- it made the rattle a little worse. I will definitely make them fix this one!

And just my opinion: The Harmon/Kardon system is mostly hype and overrated. I liked my 06 & 08 with the optional sub much better. H/K sounds crisp until 1/2 volume- then it loses it's punch. Just for that, I almost wish I had bought an '08 3.0R. I'm usually anti-aftermarket sound systems..but I'm actually considering it now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived