LegacyGT.com

05 LGT or legacy

Kcids

I am 20 and looking for my second vehicle (first Subaru) I've been looking at LGT's because I have wanted one for awhile now. I have around $6,000-6,500 to spend. Is it better to get the base model and put an exhaust, intake, headers, and do a tune? What do you guys think. I live in north east PA so another reason I'm looking at Legacies. Thanks!

Comparing the lgt and legacy is like comparing shit and chocolate. Modding a legacy is a waste of money and time, but the lgt is a lot more headaches and requires some cash when you get one with miles on it which is most of them at that price range.

The enthusiast in me says get the lgt, but be prepared to shell out some cash on maintenance and the unexpected #ynansb!

But the responsible part of me says get the legacy if you don't have a job, the cash and parents or girlfriends car to borrow when something goes fubar, because it seems like everyone on this forum has gone through at LEAST one turbo while owning a lgt. I have 2 sitting in my garage...

The lgt is a tall order and for 6.5k budget high mileage is probably your only option, and high mileage means the turbo or shortblock is about to shit the bed.

That being said, man up and get the lgt!

Exhaust, intake, headers, and tune... all of that short of a turbo or supercharger and an lgt will still shit on its face. Its all cosmetic at that point.

Its cheaper to sell a legacy and buy a lgt than it is to mod a legacy to lgt specs.

performance -> lgt

reliability -> legacy or any other car

I am 20 and looking for my second vehicle (first Subaru) I've been looking at LGT's because I have wanted one for awhile now. I have around $6,000-6,500 to spend. Is it better to get the base model and put an exhaust, intake, headers, and do a tune? What do you guys think. I live in north east PA so another reason I'm looking at Legacies. Thanks!

As has already been said: lgt is much more likely to die on you. With a LOT of problems. But, also more fun.

However, your tuning ideas are way off.

intake: most only cause headaches, nothing needed past 350 whp. Unless you're dead set on it - then research which ones work till your eyes fall out - don't bother

exhaust - a good option of many cars, but not ours - stock exhaust is not a restriction until 400 whp or so.

headers - a bonus on top of a well-tuned car. In general, very little bang for the buck.

Ok, that's the "don't do it" section. Here's the "you want to do this":

-tune - even with no mods, a good improvement.

-if going cheap, and/or need to pass visual, gut OEM UP (05/06), DP (1st cat only!), and get tuned.

-if you have some more $$, get a Grimmspeed intercooler, a good (catted, or everyone who drives in your car will hate you!) DP, an upgraded turbo, fuel pump and injectors and a good tune. With a VF52 or bnr16g, that can get you around 270-280 whp (stock is like 180 or something). E85 will put that at 300-320.

Note: a lot of these are estimates. I'm not guaranteeing you'll see these exact values.

I need something reliable that can get me places, I drive about 500-1000 miles a week, so that's why I'm thinking of just 2.5i limited, but I'm finding a hard time finding one in my price range. I mean I have found a couple LGT for 5500-6500 with only low 100k miles on them. And LGT would be awesome to have, but if there are as many problems as you say there are and the chance of it dying out or breaking is quite higher, I have no idea if I want to get that. Tehnation, I do have a job, so we can scratch the beginning of that second part off xD But I don't have parents or another vehicle to use if something does go wrong haha..

I need something reliable that can get me places, I drive about 500-1000 miles a week, so that's why I'm thinking of just 2.5i limited, but I'm finding a hard time finding one in my price range. I mean I have found a couple LGT for 5500-6500 with only low 100k miles on them. And LGT would be awesome to have, but if there are as many problems as you say there are and the chance of it dying out or breaking is quite higher, I have no idea if I want to get that. Tehnation, I do have a job, so we can scratch the beginning of that second part off xD But I don't have parents or another vehicle to use if something does go wrong haha..

Well, my LGT has been pretty reliable so far - only needed a tow truck once, and that was a hard-to-see pothole that took out TWO of my tires about 8 or 9 years ago. Mind you, I did have a coolant hose blowout where I was just BARELY able to limp to the mechanic last year.

Having said that, I've also been VERY preventative-maintenance oriented:

-oil change every 3-4k miles with Pennzoil platinum (avoid Mobil I on this car!)

-gutted stock UP (05/06 only)

-changed 5EAT fluid at 60k, will do again soon

-replaced turbo with bnr16g at 63k (almost 50 miles on that!)

-IP&T oil-line kit (v1)

-running non-OEM tune since around 33k - now at 111k.

-replaced oil pickup tube with "killer b" oil pickup

-timing belt/water pump at around 90k (book says 105k)

The car isn't totally trouble-free at this point, but I don't worry about it, day-in/day-out either.. If something were to happen to it, I could borrow an in-law's car, my wife and I could double-up in her car, or I could go buy a new Subaru at any dealer tomorrow.. So, I'm not too worried.

If I was still early 20s, starting out, well - this car has been more reliable so far than the VWs I had at that age.. But, maintenance DOES seem to be important for these cars.

I usually use Castrol Full synthetic for my truck right now, but I understand. Right now I don't really keep up with the maintenance on my truck because I'm getting rid of it once I get a new vehicle. (I do oil changes every 7k or so) but my dad made this rule to himself, if the oil isn't black or another color other than the golden color it is, the oil is fine. And he's been sticking with that for 30+ years and never has had any oil related issues yet. (Yes he is a mechanic). and usually the used vehicles above 100k usually do have there timing belt and pump before hand. I mean I could always have my parents drive me to work, but I work night shift and they got tired of that really quick when I smashed my truck up. and also no car is "trouble-free" haha. I still think I might go with the 2.5i Limited, because is gets better MPG and probably alittle more cost effective. There are other way to make power for not alot of money, I'll just have to research more on hand. Slowly mod it, because I plan on having this next vehicle for 4+ years more than likely.

there really is no way to make power with the 2.5i. you can do suspension work and make it handle really well, but power is pretty much off limits.

with regards to oil changes in the LGT, you need, need, to do it every 3k-4k or you will kill your engine

Turbo car is super fun. Get one in a few years when you got more time and money to invest in it. Nothing wrong with a 2.5i. Dead reliable and still awesome in the snow. Go with your instincts ... you're not ready for a turbo car that could die at any time and cost $4000-$6000 to get back on the road. Is that guaranteed to happen? No. But it happens often enough that you should be prepared for the possibility. And they really do require some preventative maintenance effort. If you would rather be doing something else with your time and money than spending it on your car, then the smart move is on the naturally aspirated version.

For example ... http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-legacy-owner-2008-legacy-spec-b-237633.html <-- this is one of many similar posts on this website.

Turbo car IS super fun though.

:hide:

there really is no way to make power with the 2.5i. you can do suspension work and make it handle really well, but power is pretty much off limits.

QFT

If you want to buy an LGT and mod it you're going to need more than $6-6.5k. With that amount you'll be buying high mileage, spend any extra cash on maintenance rather than mods. The only mods that are recommended for the health of your car are:

• Remove the catalytic converter in the up pipe (depending on year it might not have one)
  • Get a stage 1 tune (healthier tune than the factory tune for the engine, also a little more power)

Also there is really only one model of LGT as the engine is basically the same over all years (2.5L turbo in USA). LGT limited / SpecB are going to be trim / transmission differences.

Yea, right now I'm pretty much out the house 7 days a week with work and college. I do have time to work on it if needed. 2-3 days a week probably, but the money part would be the only issue haha. It might not be though, I'd be moving from a 4.0L v6 to a 2.5L turbo, granted the MPG isn't the best on the LGT, my current vehicle get 13 city and only about 16-17 highway... (use to get 15-16 city, 21-22 highway) I still have some time to go out and try to test drive both versions and see. Another option was an 07 Impreza RS. But that brings up a whole new topic and such.

One option that hasn't been mentioned here, although it's somewhat rarer: 3.0R. I don't know what the used prices are like, but there WAS a Legacy/Outback 3.0 H6 (boxer 6) with approx same power as the LGT, stock. Again, hard to modify, but 60-70 hp MORE than the 2.5i. Haven't heard any major reliability issues, but I haven't followed it much either. It's going to be a fair bit gutsier than the 2.5i, and should be much more trouble-free than the LGT.

We drove to Arizona to meet my sister/husband for a trip to the grand canyon in 2005 with the LGT. They happened to get a rental 2.5i legacy wagon. It was very, very gutless. With 4 adults, we couldn't pass a truck going 40-45 uphill. We could barely accelerate 5-10 mph more even on long straightaways. So, the 2.5i WILL get you there, steady and slow, but it will leave you frustrated with no power at times, coming from a 4.0 v6. Keep in mind, more drivetrain losses for AWD, so less of the 175 hp makes it to the wheels. Trying to go up to Tahoe, it would drive me nuts, having so little power.

Not trying to push you one way or the other, but.. 2.5i would be a fine family car if we had trouble making ends meet and lived in a snow belt. Being a car guy, it was slower than my GTi 16v, and probably slower than my '84 Jetta GLI. I'd be surprised if it would get up to 100-110 top speed..

Haha, yea. My truck only has 165 HP, and the legacy weights 200lbs more than my truck(google says 4400, mine says 4900 but I got mine weighted once and it was around 4200) I honestly have been looking all over craigslist and other internet car sites trying to find a car relatively close (dad hates driving over 1.5hours to look at a vehicle...) and All the GT's that I find are in New york or the other side of New Jersey. (live in the tristate area of PA) so the winters can be mixed upon crazy and perfectly fine. I mean there are some interesting ways I found to help increase HP and helping lighten the car, I saw the one option of meth/water injection but that is decently priced up there. I mean I do have alot of options I suppose upon this. But if I got the LGT, I would need to do something to increase the MPG just alittle to make it worth it.

Honestly, if I was 20 & had $6000 to spend on a car that had to get me 1000/week, I'd be shopping for a Honda. Better gas mileage and much cheaper maintenance.

4000 miles/month on a LGT is 1.33 oil changes a month. Plus premium gas at 20mpg. Plus new tires every 6 months (unless you buy the 60k cheap tires). Just not seeing the money benefit.

Add in the cost to upgrade everything, and higher chance of being stranded...why bother?

I bought the RV Premium for my race hauler, and have used it only for the LGT, including a very long 200 mile tow.

Haha, yea. My truck only has 165 HP, and the legacy weights 200lbs more than my truck(google says 4400, mine says 4900 but I got mine weighted once and it was around 4200) I honestly have been looking all over craigslist and other internet car sites trying to find a car relatively close (dad hates driving over 1.5hours to look at a vehicle...) and All the GT's that I find are in New york or the other side of New Jersey. (live in the tristate area of PA) so the winters can be mixed upon crazy and perfectly fine. I mean there are some interesting ways I found to help increase HP and helping lighten the car, I saw the one option of meth/water injection but that is decently priced up there. I mean I do have alot of options I suppose upon this. But if I got the LGT, I would need to do something to increase the MPG just alittle to make it worth it.

cars101.com has all the details on the LGT. 3500 is about average for a wagon.

Boxkita, I'm looking into the sedans only. and I need something that is great in snow, I don't live in an area where the roads are plowed nicely... So 4wd/awd is kinda a must for getting up and down the hills. And was planning 2 sets of tires. (Winter/summer)

Boxkita, I'm looking into the sedans only. and I need something that is great in snow, I don't live in an area where the roads are plowed nicely... So 4wd/awd is kinda a must for getting up and down the hills. And was planning 2 sets of tires. (Winter/summer)

LGT is still not your frend. The legacy 2.5i is going to be a better fit. stay stock, stay happy. If you are driving that much on unplowed roads, you should look for an outback which has more ground clearance.

I am not going back to ford haha... I have way to many issues with mine now. And my sister has a VW, they are decent cars but them and Volvo have semi expensive parts as I've heard from friends and online. I was thinking an Audi A4 1.8T, but they are in the same price range. and obviously the same boat basically as a LGT ha..

Or would you maybe recommend going to a 3rd gen GT? I have no idea if that would be a better option or still sticking to the main plan. I mean I could probably handle a GT if I baby it and it depends on the week, most of the time it's still 500-750 average. 160miles 2 days a week and then 40 for the other 5. I can maintain the oil fairly easy. and buying a used turbo would be alot cheaper than a new one more or less. and once I sell my truck after I get a new vehicle that can hold me off a bit more.

How about a 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS 2-Door?? :hide:.... lmao

3rd Gen Legacys have their quirks too. I would actually recommend a 4th Gen 2.5i, or as someone else said, a 3.0R Boxer 6. Also, why not possibly look into a Forrester or Outback Sedan? A 3.0R Outback sedan in Black looks awesome.

Until you have the money to throw into a project car, I would stay away from a Used Turbo car. you never know the maintenance history, or how hard it was abused. The N/A subaru 2.5L (and 2.2L for the older cars) can take a lot of use/abuse, and they really only have issues with head gaskets, which is another topic you should research.

You can also ignore the advice of everyone on here, buy the LGT, blow it up, park it for a few years, rebuild, and watch it blow again, as many other members have experienced. The LGT can be a money pit, just know that going in, and buy it if it's still what you want.

Also, why dump the Ranger, I absolutely loved my 2000 Off-Road package Extended Cab (with the extremely underpowered 3.0L...:lol:). The Ranger has a lot of power mods with the 4.0L, and you can even swap in a 5.0L V8 if you really want something 4wd with reliable power.

Mine is the maxed out Ranger for the 98 year. 4.0L 4x4 off road package xlt everything haha. except the 20 gal tank... My Ranger has to many issues and I've been told to just stop putting money into it. It has 168,4xx miles and climbing. Timing chain, both wheel assemblies, passenger tie rod, shocks, MAF sensor all going haha.. It's on it's way out.

And yea, I mean, whatever car I buy, it will have problems, some more than others, and I know Legacy's had head gasket issues 2000-2003 models and fixed it somewhat in the 2004+ models.

The reason I wanted the LGT was because I wanted something a bit more powerful and granted it's reliability isn't all the greatest, they are still a great car. It has pretty much everything I would want in a vehicle. The major issue is the MPG, but I was reading a thread today and saw some people getting 25+ mpg (almost 30mpg) with the LGT.

I would settle for a 2.5I limited because it has everything a LGT has except the turbo, it still has the leather, sunroof, heated seats and all. It's less power, but it's still a Legacy you know? It would be alot cheaper on gas, and maintenance would be a little more lenient.

I was going for more of a 4 door vehicle, (insurance issues haha..). I was maybe thinking an early WRX, I found an 04 wrx for like 5k or so, but I have no idea what is wrong with it. And the 3.0R would suck up more gas than the 2.5i correct? I'm sick of my 13mpg haha... And I was looking into foresters alittle bit and they didn't make an outback sedan after the 3rd gen I thought? I thought they stuck to just wagons after that.

They made Outback Sedans for a couple years in the 4th Gen. They are nice looking cars, my only gripe is that they didn't sell them with a manual transmission. I think the 3.0R will have about the same fuel mileage as the LGT, but I could be wrong.

As for the WRX's, I have no idea, but I can tell you I love my 2015 :lol:

So, you want a decent sized AWD sedan with a nice interior, good power, but low maintenance AND good mpg, available for $5-6k in reasonable shape.. Do you need the unicorn tears package too, or are you ok with just the unobtainium trim? :lol:

Never said anything about the nice interior. and preference yes. But obviously there will be some trade offs.. But more or less, some mods can be done to the GT to get better mpg and still have the power. maintenance I can deal with, it isn't that much more difficult than any normal vehicle.

Archived