LegacyGT.com

Koni Shock/Strut & Epic Engineering Spring Install

so, i want to make sure im getting this right. to do this install all you need is the koni front inserts, rear strut assemblies, oem front and rear struts to supply all the oem parts listed and springs? and for all the oem parts required such as bump stop, dust guard, top mount, conical washer and spring seat, can you take these off your stock struts and re use them? Im guessing it wouldn't be ideal but could you use oem springs in this set up?

Pretty much yea, my front top hat bearings started leaking after I installed the konis so I had to buy new ones and install them. You might not have the same problem but if you don't want to risk it just buy new ones like I ended up having to. Stock springs will work fine I used h&r but stock works as well. You should consider getting new top hat nuts and maybe new washers and strut mount nuts too, they are listed as replacement parts by Subaru.

so, i want to make sure im getting this right. to do this install all you need is the koni front inserts, rear strut assemblies, oem front and rear struts to supply all the oem parts listed and springs? and for all the oem parts required such as bump stop, dust guard, top mount, conical washer and spring seat, can you take these off your stock struts and re use them? Im guessing it wouldn't be ideal but could you use oem springs in this set up?

Don't need donor rear struts, but need the hardware from the ones on the car.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• 3 months later...
There are no bump stops on the rear shock which is why you don't see them. The rear "bump stop" is a cone-shaped rubber piece mounted to the chassis that contacts the upper lateral link.

I've always wondered what that thing was for!

You're making me wish I'd at least painted my front housings! I'll be curious to hear how they ride!
I was able to get some free donor struts from the dealer and had them powder coated. I like the way the whole package looks and I'm confident it will improve the ride dramatically considering the struts coming off the car have 150K miles on them.

I also want to thank Fred Bean for this walk-through.

I'm loving my koni's with pro kit springs! Huge difference compared to stock. 2 of my stock shocks were blown at only 85k miles. I did my front housings satin black. Wish I had done them gloss yellow to match but look fine in black.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

I was able to get some free donor struts from the dealer and had them powder coated. I like the way the whole package looks and I'm confident it will improve the ride dramatically considering the struts coming off the car have 150K miles on them.

I also want to thank Fred Bean for this walk-through.

Hi, haven't seen you around the forum much. It's getting to be that time of the year again.

Hint, you may want to set the rears in the middle of the firmness setting. I did one turn off of full hard and have been thinking about going softer.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hi, haven't seen you around the forum much. It's getting to be that time of the year again.

Hint, you may want to set the rears in the middle of the firmness setting. I did one turn off of full hard and have been thinking about going softer.

Hi Max!

I've been spending more time in the Mountain West Regional Forum, but I don't login daily by any means. It is about that time of year and I can't wait. I'm thinning the quiver and selling 8 pairs of skis, let me know if you want something. ;)

I was thinking about dialing up the firmness on the rear struts, especially since they are not easily accessible. If you're backing off from the middle of the adjustment range, where would you suggest I start?

Edited by SBT

Keep in mind that sometimes making the shocks stiffer can make the ride more comfortable. I found my Koni/Epic setup (the one I installed when I wrote this walkthrough) was more comfortable slightly above the 1-turn position. IIRC it was ~1 and 1/4 turn from full soft but I'd have to search back through my posts.

Also whenever adjusting the settings, turn them all the way down and then up from there IIRC.

-Mike Paisan

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

Keep in mind that sometimes making the shocks stiffer can make the ride more comfortable. I found my Koni/Epic setup (the one I installed when I wrote this walkthrough) was more comfortable slightly above the 1-turn position. IIRC it was ~1 and 1/4 turn from full soft but I'd have to search back through my posts.

I had to do some searching, stalking and thread reading to find what I was looking for; but, according to posts #522 and #552 you seemed to prefer 1-1/4F & 1-1/2R.

Now the question is, will the 1-1/4F & 1-1/2R settings work on my wagon? I guess we'll find out, because I think that is where I'm going to start.

Remember every one of these dampers is different. 1-1/4 on the left may not be the same as 1-1/4 on the right even.

-Mike Paisan

Remember every one of these dampers is different. 1-1/4 on the left may not be the same as 1-1/4 on the right even.

For that very reason I gave some consideration to finding a shop with a shock dyno and then I decided this car is my DD grocery getter. So, right or wrong, I'm taking a leap of faith thinking the settings side-to-side and front-to-back will be close enough.

Fingers crossed.